The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: spare tire mount question  (Read 1371 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: spare tire mount question
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2020, 06:13:24 PM »
   Looks wonky to me. :-\ I'd center the U-bolt in the lug nut holes as that is how they are designed to fit snug and I'd find a bigger piece of square stock on the mill to keep it from sliding or rotating or I'd fill in the gap between the metal and the sides of the U-bolt so it could not rotate or slide. (I bet you know somebody who could cut you a piece of wood that size. :D) It does not look secure to me right now. Looks like it is going to slide and bounce around and would knock the rest of the paint off and it would rust badly and quickly. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2020, 03:43:50 PM »
I'm glad that you posed this question Jim.  My Reply #5 showed how I had been carrying my spare and Reply #15 showed an alternative that I tried.  I knew that #15 was not gonna work because it took up traveling space that I had been using.  My latest endeavor seems head bonking simple and I believe that it may be the winner for me.

A 2" ratchet strap securing the tire tightly to the sawmill frame and then a 1" strap serving as a safety/secondary strap.  Since the spare will be removed while sawing it won't be a trap for sawdust & bark while sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2020, 05:06:54 PM »
After all the words of caution, I have been thinking about buying a proper spare tire mount. They sell them at harbor freight as well as many other places.
I may get one of those and see if I can attach it in a fashion that won't interfere with my movable bed rail and low enough so that it is below the main bed rails, but not so low that it will hit the ground.
I just bought two nuts to double nut the "U" bolt and got the wrong thread pattern. I'll have to take one off and go to the store and get others that match the threads, if I'm going to continue to use that "U"bolt.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2020, 06:36:59 PM »
Lynn,

Looks secure but not for me. I'm looking for a place and way to mount my spare tire one time on the mill and never touch it again till I have a flat just like on my truck or my boat trailer. I don't want to load and unload every time I move the mill which I would have to do as shown.  :(

We can always use more space but right now my mill spare tire is the first thing I load on my truck, I load tools and fuel cans and leveling boards and such around and lower in the truck bed than it but I never touch it again till I finish my job and unload it again at the barn after I finish the job. 

I combat load my truck with the bands being loaded last as they are the first thing I need at the sawing site. The items I take as insurance but hope not to need go on first and normally never move unless something breaks. I'll bet you a full bowl of cheese grits you do the same way with the first things you need loaded last for immediate access.  ;)

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2020, 08:07:29 PM »
I have had a "permanent" mount as shown in Reply #5 for several years.  My problem has always been that it was secured with straps and was subject to shifting, plus it took up truck bed space.  I have always been unwilling to mount it permanently under the trapezoid on the front or the back.  Sure a solid cover would keep the top clean but I don't want to loose any of the trapezoid on either end.

I can always put it back in the truck bed but I'll try this latest arrangement and see how it works out.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline OlJarhead

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Dartplayer
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2020, 04:43:20 PM »

finally got the poc you needed :)  hope its not too late
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2020, 09:37:37 AM »
thanks
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Help..spare tire

Started by beenthere on General Board

24 Replies
Last post January 12, 2009, 09:16:24 AM
by easymoney
xx
No Spare Tire

Started by red on General Board

0 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 10:54:57 AM
by red