The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Ignition coil for Makita DCS460  (Read 237 times)

Offline lyte

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Ignition coil for Makita DCS460
« on: September 27, 2020, 05:22:18 AM »
I'm struggling to find the right ignition coil for a Makita DCS460 saw.

The original appears to be a PR‹FREX, with "W49" and "CDIM 100/5" stamped on it. I've figured out "CDIM" stands for "Circuit Deactivation Ignition Module" and I suspect "100/5" has something to do with the timing of the spark but I'm not sure.

Various parts lists I've found list everything from 181-143-200, 181-143-203, 181-143-204, 181-143-205 and even 181-143-206 as being compatible, but I think there's at least a few different ones.

I ended up purchasing a 181-143-204 which generates spark fine, but back fires so I'm pretty sure it's sparking at the wrong time. The 204 is red where the original was black. Instead of "W49" it has "R401" and instead of "100/5" it has "100/2".

I was wondering if the "100/x" is some indication of how the spark is timed?

I later found a newer parts breakdown which lists 181143206 for "2010-03 =>" and mine is 2013, so I think I probably do need a 206, but I'm hesitant to buy another coil without being 100% it's going to be the right thing. Simply searching for that part number gets me parts with all sorts of other numbers next to "CDIM" so if it is related to timing, I assume they're not going to help either.

Can anyone decode more of what's going on on this coil so I can gain some confidence about what's going to work?

Original:

Wrong one:

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: Ignition coil for Makita DCS460
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 12:23:14 PM »
Chances are great that Makita had Dolmar roots at one time .Most saws use a number of ignition coils that in effect are universal .For example to recently replace an almost none existent two piece ignition on a Partner P-100 saw I found a readily available  coil was a direct drop in from a Husqvarna 272.Inexpensive as well . If you would like to just uses those numbers on Google .That little genus living  inside of Google is wizard of finding parts . 

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 03:04:25 PM »
If you look at a popular on'line auction site they list several of those coils for sale .To me it just looks like a standard coil used on many saws .

Offline lyte

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 07:06:23 PM »
Hi Al_Smith, I've already purchased a replacement coil that has good spark (the red one) but can't get it to run - only backfire.

I guess the main thing I want to clarify is what the difference is between the 3 coils listed in the parts breakdown are as the backfiring on a saw that was running fine prior to losing spark implies the coil is shifting the timing to me.

If I simply Google for generic coils (e.g this eBay listing) they tend to imply that their generic part can replace all 3 colours of coil. Googling any of the other numbers has not got me any explanations or clarity that it's a generic model.

Yes you are correct a Dolmar PS460 is I believe exactly the same saw.

I think I've popped the flywheel off to check for a sheered key previously (I'll check again though).

Confounding this is that the saw originally died mid 2017, I purchased the red (181-143-204 "genuine Dolmar") at the time and swapped it over straight away without being able to get it to start, but then had a family emergency. I originally got this saw because the local saw shop was a Makita dealer, but they closed up and I have no one who thinks it's worth looking at. I'd quite like to get this saw running as a backup to the MS362CM I now use regularly, but in the mean time it pretty much sat in the back of the shed.

My vague recollection of how it died originally was that I'd just started it and it was running a bit strange, so I warmed it up a bit and started messing with the carbie. After a bit of fiddling it just died and I had originally thought I'd messed up the mix so reset it (probably something like both screws out 1.5 or 2x turns), after a lot more fiddling I eventually checked for spark which was missing. So there wasn't any big backfire at the time or dropped saw.

When I test run it I'm just dropping a few drops of mixed fuel in either spark plug hole or carbie. If it's sat a while I make sure to drop some oil through the spark plug hole and pull it over a while before attempting to start.

What else could be causing a backfire if it should be able to run on any of the 3 coils?

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 10:55:25 PM »
If I were to guess without knowing the saw it somehow could have sheared  the key in the flywheel and possibly advanced it .If it kicks back when you try to start it chances are it's too far advanced .If not that because it's nearly impossible to trouble shoot over the internet I give up .
I might mention without any explanation there are some self advancing coils .On that I've only one such that stuck on advance and that was a Briggs   engine on a lawn mower .I have seen them not advance and run slow though .I have no idea how that coil works on that saw .I might add though if that coil is the one I saw it's only got two stator pick poles and self advancing usually has three .

Offline lyte

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 04:45:59 AM »
PX CDIM ? ignition module with digital easy-start system (DLS) is the generic Prufrex CDIM page which mentions a bunch of programmable timing related things btw. It's basically a little computer inside the coil and I wouldn't be surprised from all the claims they make if they can't shift the spark timing completely.

I will try to pop the flywheel off again, but I don't think I'll get to it before the weekend.

Offline lyte

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 07:17:42 AM »
Ok I must have remembered pulling the flywheel off some other engine as I don't remember looking at one with an integral key - but this does look like it's moved over a bit:

I assume that's enough to ruin the timing :(

It's $375 (AUD) for the only flywheel I can find, which is way too much for this saw.

Would it be too crazy to grind one side of the key and braze something soft enough on the side where it shifted?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Chainsaw ignition coil

Started by schnur7 on Chainsaws

9 Replies
Last post April 22, 2016, 09:19:39 AM
by schnur7
xx
Ignition Coil Dying?

Started by jteneyck on Chainsaws

15 Replies
Last post January 11, 2013, 04:37:06 PM
by jteneyck