iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade skidder

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, September 29, 2020, 08:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armechanic

This appears to be an old GMC M135 single wheel.  The wheel don't have enough dish to install dualls and without the original auto transm it is real low geared as the transfer case is only for 4X4.  High & low range was built into the transmission  I worked on these in my early mechanic days for Uncle Sam.
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: armechanic on September 30, 2020, 11:05:45 AM
This appears to be an old GMC M135 single wheel.  The wheel don't have enough dish to install dualls and without the original auto transm it is real low geared as the transfer case is only for 4X4.  High & low range was built into the transmission  I worked on these in my early mechanic days for Uncle Sam.
The transfer case used has Hi/lo as well as 4wd/2wd. I think the transmission itself is not from the Deuce; it has a GM casting number on it that I need to look up.

chevytaHOE5674

Are the axles Rockwell 2.5tons or GMC 2.5 tons?

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on September 30, 2020, 11:40:27 AM
Are the axles Rockwell 2.5tons or GMC 2.5 tons?
I'm not sure I'd know what the difference is...?

mike_belben

6 lug budd with square tube and a toploader chunk is rockwell. 6.xx ratio.  

A cast iron high-neutral-low gm tcase is likely to be np205 if its all gear .. Thatll have 2 shift forks with 3 position each. Or an np208 if its planetary.  Passenger side drop. 

If divorced passenger drop it probably has some ford input parts. 
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

GMC axles have the same wheel pattern and similar gear ratio, but round tubes and a removable third member like a ford 9". Also a cover that looks like a tic-tac-toe board.

mike_belben

Thats right.. Theyre like an overgrown eaton HO72 with a ribbed ring gear cover. Forgot about those.  Not too common. 
Praise The Lord

DeerMeadowFarm

OK, here are some (not so great quality) pics I ran out and took. First of all, it's not an NP205 or 208 transfer case. This thing is huge and has two rear output shafts and a passenger side drop for the front. My photo of this was way too bad to post so I'll have to try to get another one later.

Here is the winch from the left side: 

And again from the right:

It's made from what appears to be the same axles as what is on the machine. Front:

And rear:

I don't know if this helps in identifying the axles used...?

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: mike_belben on September 30, 2020, 03:28:28 PM
Ford AA4000.  Very old.

AA-4000 Rear Axle Parts Group | AAFords-FMAATC
Yah? Are you saying for the winch or for the axles as well? Because I wasn't aware that Model AA trucks came 4WD...? Also, all the photos on the page you linked shows 5 lug nuts where my axles have 6.

Walnut Beast

Walnut Beast

Old saw fixer

Okay, I know what a deuce and a half is/was, I was raised an Army brat. I never heard them referred to as a "deuce".  We weren't allowed to hang around the motor pool, I guess that is why.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

chevytaHOE5674

Looks like a GMC 2.5 ton CCKW split axle. Very old, very fragile, and parts are expensive IF you can find them.

Walnut Beast

I think there more like 1 1/2 ton Timken 🤔

Walnut Beast

Timken used in GMC and Studebaker 1 1/2 ton military trucks. Same design is in Willy's truck rear end 

Walnut Beast

Anything on that winch anywhere. Braden's where used on several military vehicles but I've never seen that design 

chevytaHOE5674

Bottom line old and antique. Pray you don't break anything.

Have a tractor with a GMC 2.5 ton tic-tac-toe axle that is made of egg shells. Outer stub shafts looks big and strong but can't stand up to 65hp and ag tires. To the point the axle is gutted because I can't afford to keep parts in it.

Walnut Beast

Boyce equipment in Utah's specializes in the 2.5 Rockwell axels they are top loaders and beefy 

chevytaHOE5674

2.5 ton rockwells are a whole different animal and share zero parts with these old antiques.

Walnut Beast

I know that. Somebody said they were Rockwell's 😂. Boyce has many other parts for reference 

mike_belben

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on September 30, 2020, 03:36:33 PM
Quote from: mike_belben on September 30, 2020, 03:28:28 PM
Ford AA4000.  Very old.

AA-4000 Rear Axle Parts Group | AAFords-FMAATC
Yah? Are you saying for the winch or for the axles as well? Because I wasn't aware that Model AA trucks came 4WD...? Also, all the photos on the page you linked shows 5 lug nuts where my axles have 6.
No reason why the man who made that cant graft on whatever he wanted.  Monster truck axles are a marriage of F106 centers from school busses or F700s and outer steering planets from cranes and rough terrain forklifts.  Where theres a will theres a way. 
I cant say for sure what any of it is from here.  But it looks like AA stuff to me. 
And it was me who assumed rocks when all we could see was the 6 lug budd hub.  Obviously thats changed. 
Praise The Lord

grabber green

I vote the axles in this thing came from a 2 1/2 ton 6x6  cckw g508  with split style timken built units .  I'm guessing they cut up the extra rear axle to build the winch.

Southside

Where did you find the old girl?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: grabber green on September 30, 2020, 10:53:40 PM
I vote the axles in this thing came from a 2 1/2 ton 6x6  cckw g508  with split style timken built units .  I'm guessing they cut up the extra rear axle to build the winch.
I believe you are correct. The axles, from what I am seeing are definitely the split Timken style. I took more photos of the winch this morning and it appears to be made from the same style axle which makes me believe that all these axles came from an early deuce and a half. Also, excuse my ignorance, but the transfer case has two rear output shafts that turn at the same time. Only one is used to drive the rear axle. Would a 6x6 have had two driveshafts one to each axle?
This is from the left side. You can see the ribs have been ground off and you can see the way the differential splits:

This is from looking front to back kind of from under the seat. The input shaft yoke area looks identical to the rear axle:

This last one is taken from the right side and shows (not very clearly now that I look at it) the brake set-up for the winch:

Thank You Sponsors!