The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: STIHL 028 AV rebuild questions  (Read 638 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: STIHL 028 AV rebuild questions
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2020, 10:17:40 PM »
All I'm saying is they don't recommend doing it .What or how anybody does anything really is none of my business .This I will say with a ball or shoe hone you cannot correct ovality or taper .It takes a precision  hone like the Lisle I have .Which I might add was given to me .Dang thing is like a couple hundred for a new one and I'm a tight wad .Chainsaws are only one of my many interests, machining  is another .I'm self taught and can do about anything a tool and die maker can do it just takes me a lot longer .---I also make a lot of mistakes  ;)

Offline Mad Professor

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2020, 10:19:09 PM »
Heaven forbid if you run a ball hone in it.  Your piston will literally turn sideways in the bore and kill anybody nearby.
Ball hones do ugly things to nikasil.
Oh, I don't know. I used one the other day on a MS460. I actually timed it out of curiosity just to see how I do it. About 1 1/2 seconds one way and 1 1/2 seconds the other. It will get what little transfer is left on the edge of your ports. And, then in to the dishwasher.
I'm thinking you would really have to dog the heck out of nikasil with a ball hone to hurt it. You are not using it to remove the aluminum. It should already be gone. But, it will slick it up enough that you can see what is left if anything.
Works for me.
UGLY ball hone!

Offline Real1shepherd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2020, 10:30:08 PM »
Not gonna get into the ball honing controversy, but don't assume a Meteor piston is good quality at a cheap price. They're now linked up with Hyway pistons....so buyer beware.

Your best bet always is to find a good used OE P&C.

There's not enough plating thickness in a chainsaw jug to worry about taper and concentric considerations. If your jug is out of round a lot for some reason, pitch it.

Kevin

Offline Mad Professor

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2020, 10:42:07 PM »
Sad if Meteor has gone way of Tecomec?

Tecomec was OEM quality when made in Italy.  Tilton/Total was USA distributor.  Head guy at Tilton said Tecomec went to $#!t- CHI-COM!!!

I spoke with him , Head person, who was distributor for Tecomec for many years.

If Meteor has went Chi-Com , only option is OEM.  I won't but Chi-Com chit.

P.S. I have stash of OEM/NOS Stihl for my saws, nope not for sale?

But I don't buy Brazilian GM Obama cars either

Offline Real1shepherd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2020, 10:48:26 PM »
I can't say for sure....but a close association with Hyway can't be a good thing. Meteor isn't going to bring Hyway quality up, but Hyway is going to bring Meteor down, down, down.......

You get what you pay for in aftermarket chit.....so if Meteor is going for roughly what Hyway is or was.....you get the idea. 

No way I'm stuffing Chinesium in my old warriors.

Kevin

Offline Mad Professor

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2020, 11:39:34 PM »
I'm going to buy some Italy Meteor slugs before they dry up like Tecomec.

A good investment, like ammo was last summer.......

Offline ZeroJunk

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2020, 07:46:57 AM »
Heaven forbid if you run a ball hone in it.  Your piston will literally turn sideways in the bore and kill anybody nearby.
Ball hones do ugly things to nikasil.
Oh, I don't know. I used one the other day on a MS460. I actually timed it out of curiosity just to see how I do it. About 1 1/2 seconds one way and 1 1/2 seconds the other. It will get what little transfer is left on the edge of your ports. And, then in to the dishwasher.
I'm thinking you would really have to dog the heck out of nikasil with a ball hone to hurt it. You are not using it to remove the aluminum. It should already be gone. But, it will slick it up enough that you can see what is left if anything.
Works for me.
UGLY ball hone!
(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Oh, I know. I have done it.  And, I know how long it takes.
If you want a photo to discredit a ball hone I will whip up one worse than that.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2020, 09:37:00 AM »
Geeze ,to hone or not to hone .This is starting to sound like the great oil debate which is never ending .
Now  of course you can't take the ovality out of a plated cylinder .I used that Lisle to hone a cast iron liner I installed in a Mac 125 .It was grade 50 fine grained cast iron  the same stuff Harley made cylinders out of .
I'm sure I'm not the only one to ever resleeve a chainsaw cylinder but until proven differently  the only one to have the pictures to prove it . It was the only method I could think of to save it because the chrome had delaminated .It runs fine but since I did it I have not ran that thing long enough  to even seat the tool steel piston rings .

I've got a couple of big dead hickories,one is over 3 feet in diameter .That could give me some fodder to not only give the big yellow saw some run time but also a couple more that have been taking up shelf space .I might get to this winter or I might not .

Offline ZeroJunk

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2020, 11:45:07 AM »
What kind of oil should I put on the hone ?  :D

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2020, 11:54:11 AM »
In the automotive industry they use honing oil .It's just kerosene with a fire retardant .I don't think it makes any difference weather it's make by Marathon or Clark American .The ratio would be the same, one to one ..An added bonus if you don't use it all up it's real handy to light off a brush pile with .

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2020, 12:04:16 PM »
I have had good luck with a 50/50 mix of Varsol and motor oil on 4 stroke air cooleds. I have not tried honing a saw cylinder, if acid and scotch brite doesn't clean it up out it goes.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Real1shepherd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2020, 12:10:37 PM »
I posted the "wigglesorth' method/video in another thread. That is my standard for polishing a bore. Randy shows how to remove aluminum transfers right before he shows the "wigglesworth" method.

Time is not a factor for me when polishing a bore. It's not like I have a bench filled with customer saws waiting for help.

Kevin

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2020, 01:12:57 PM »
It might sound odd but frankly I haven't had many that hung from a lean burn .A couple had the exhaust side of the piston a tad scorched those just cleaned up nice .They were caused from restricted mufflers ,screens carboned up etc .
I've got a 038 Mag that was ran with a faulty air filter and literally grenaded the piston .Ate something evidently that didn't agree with it's digestive system  .Mahle cylinders are tough, not a chip, nothing .New OEM piston. Back in service ..At that time it had been in service for a tree company for about 20 years and I did that work at least 12-15 years ago and it was later given to me .That's one tough old saw ,one of the best.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Stihl 051 rebuild questions

Started by Coach on Chainsaws

0 Replies
Last post June 28, 2019, 10:37:23 AM
by Coach
xx
Stihl 036 top end rebuild questions

Started by ashes on Chainsaws

6 Replies
Last post December 28, 2017, 09:36:12 PM
by Gary Davis