The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: The new type "SAFETY" gas can.  (Read 1081 times)

Online lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
Re: The new type "SAFETY" gas can.
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2020, 05:01:50 AM »
You can get vents for new style cans also. I did that for my older 5G cans. I had one good old style spout that fit all the cans, so when I emptied a can, I'd swap the spout over. Without a vent, they'd glug. Drill a hole a hair under " and stick it in. That's to make sure it's tight. I think I used 15/32"

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2020, 06:45:08 AM »
You might have a problem with those doubles. Find out who made them and Goggle it to death. Or look for some used one like yours on eBay that are complete.
The replacement set I picture above would probably not fit on your double set up....they don't work on my present Bailey's double.

Your set looks like one I had once....again, bought from Bailey's. I gave up on new spouts, but companies are trying to accommodate old cans now.

Kevin
Kevin, the can I have is made by Wedco Industries in Canada. It looks very similar to the one in your last photo except for the vent arrangement. I wonder what the OD of the threads on your can measure?
 I don't think I could use a vented cap on the oil side it would make me nuts and I would have a lot of spilled oil. I need to see what I am pouring. I am getting used to it on the gas side because I can hear the change in sound with the gas and now when I am near topping off. Not so with the oil.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Online Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2020, 09:48:45 AM »
I've got one of those double plastic jugs I found in the woods I've never used .Evidently who ever owned it wasn't  too fond of it else they wouldn't have left it .

Offline Real1shepherd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2020, 11:08:30 AM »
You might have a problem with those doubles. Find out who made them and Goggle it to death. Or look for some used one like yours on eBay that are complete.
The replacement set I picture above would probably not fit on your double set up....they don't work on my present Bailey's double.

Your set looks like one I had once....again, bought from Bailey's. I gave up on new spouts, but companies are trying to accommodate old cans now.

Kevin
Kevin, the can I have is made by Wedco Industries in Canada. It looks very similar to the one in your last photo except for the vent arrangement. I wonder what the OD of the threads on your can measure?
 I don't think I could use a vented cap on the oil side it would make me nuts and I would have a lot of spilled oil. I need to see what I am pouring. I am getting used to it on the gas side because I can hear the change in sound with the gas and now when I am near topping off. Not so with the oil.
The present Bailey's set I pictured has a vent built into both the spouts; oil and gas mix. They pour OK, but you have to hold down the 'plunger' spout on both of them while filling. I've never gone back to Bailey's to see if they offer replacement spouts because I hate these.

If it helps you any, I can measure the OD of the spout threads in either US or metric.

Kevin

Offline Real1shepherd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2020, 11:17:45 AM »
You can get vents for new style cans also. I did that for my older 5G cans. I had one good old style spout that fit all the cans, so when I emptied a can, I'd swap the spout over. Without a vent, they'd glug. Drill a hole a hair under " and stick it in. That's to make sure it's tight. I think I used 15/32"
I was going to mic that vent body and see what drill to use to make it tight....thanks for that. The 5gal can pictured has no vent. Hard to say what it had originally....probably a vent arrangement in the spout.

My son just gave me the can...I have no idea where he got it. Plastic gas cans are a dime a dozen to me, but I decided to re-spout all mine if at all possible. The ones that have no caps, I just plug with rubber stoppers. In the sun, sometimes they blow the stoppers out and are nearly impossible to find.

I have an old Eagle metal can, that one that became synonymous for 'Eagle'. They reproduce the original funky spout and sell on eBay. I've had a few, but the plastic is terrible; too stiff, especially in cold weather and they don't last....they also leak because the plastic is too stiff to seal properly.

Also, the insert cap(like the original) can swell and become impossible to take out without a tool.

Kevin

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2020, 12:12:11 PM »
I haven't used the Husky dual can a lot, but I like it. You stick the spout in the tank, press the can down to activate the plunger in the spout. The level comes up and turns off automatically. To me, that's a great feature, as I almost always overfill my fuel and oil tanks and spill all over😬 They flow plenty fast, too- even the bar oil, which kind of surprised me.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Happysawer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2020, 01:37:15 PM »
If i were a betting man i would bet that more people are badly injured maybe even killed, by these new type "safe type"gas cans then by their own chainsaws.

They might be spill proof if knocked over, but in trying to use their safety unlocking  systems when trying to fill a fuel tank this is where the problems start happening.

Offline Real1shepherd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2020, 03:05:00 PM »
If the dual cans just had conventional angled spouts with screw caps tethered to them, that would be perfect for me. But the thrupple had other ideas.......

Kevin

Offline Tom King

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • HistoricHousePreservation
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2020, 03:28:22 PM »
Those plastic vents will leak after a while.  I bought some to replace them off Amazon that look like regular bolt in tire valves.  You put one of the nuts on the inside (rides a wire into place), and it has a washer that keeps it from leaking.

Remembering this thread, I thought to take a couple of pictures yesterday.  This is my favorite one gallon gas can.  I'll take any bet that I can spill less gas with it than anyone with one of the newer ones.  I liked it so much that I bought spares, when I could get them.  I try to keep it out of the Sunlight.

The five gallon jug has one of the tire valve type vents I was talking about.  It also has a spout sold by someone on ebay.  I'll take any bet about spilling less gas than the newer types with it too.  You leave the rubber fuel line in the filler neck of whatever you're filling, and just lower the jug when it's full.

I have two brands of those 5 gallon jugs.  I like the Midwest the best, because you reuse the washer in the filler cap that came with the jug, and the Midwest washer secures itself around the machined aluminum part by the maker/ebay seller.

No fuel can police around here.

Offline Real1shepherd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2020, 04:02:35 PM »
Those plastic vents will leak after a while.  I bought some to replace them off Amazon that look like regular bolt in tire valves.  You put one of the nuts on the inside (rides a wire into place), and it has a washer that keeps it from leaking.

Remembering this thread, I thought to take a couple of pictures yesterday.  This is my favorite one gallon gas can.  I'll take any bet that I can spill less gas with it than anyone with one of the newer ones.  I liked it so much that I bought spares, when I could get them.  I try to keep it out of the Sunlight.

The five gallon jug has one of the tire valve type vents I was talking about.  It also has a spout sold by someone on ebay.  I'll take any bet about spilling less gas than the newer types with it too.  You leave the rubber fuel line in the filler neck of whatever you're filling, and just lower the jug when it's full.

I have two brands of those 5 gallon jugs.  I like the Midwest the best, because you reuse the washer in the filler cap that came with the jug, and the Midwest washer secures itself around the machined aluminum part by the maker/ebay seller.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Tom,
Is this what you bought?
https://www.amazon.com/EONLION-Stainless-Steel-Faster-Proof/dp/B08F5CRYN9/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=gas+tank+vent&qid=1602360357&sr=8-7

Kevin

Online lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2020, 05:58:43 PM »
'll take any bet that I can spill less gas with it than anyone with one of the newer ones.

I'd totally take that bet. I can tip the NO-SPILL 160, stick the spout into whatever I'm filling, then push the button allowing everything from a trickle to a deluge. Let off the button, and it's back to being a sealed container.

These are the vents I got...

Amazon.com: JSP Manufacturing Pick a Pack Yellow Fuel Gas Can Vent Cap Chilton Briggs Rotopax Gott Anchor Multipack Pricing (10): Garden & Outdoor

Certainly not a lifetime piece, but they're cheap, and I have a bunch of spares. I can pry the old one out, and stick in a new one. No leaks so far.

Offline Tom King

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2020, 07:16:29 PM »

Tom,
Is this what you bought?
https://www.amazon.com/EONLION-Stainless-Steel-Faster-Proof/dp/B08F5CRYN9/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=gas+tank+vent&qid=1602360357&sr=8-7

Kevin
Yes, that's it.  After it came, I recognized them as being like "bolt in" tire air valves.  

Offline Tom King

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2020, 07:24:14 PM »
'll take any bet that I can spill less gas with it than anyone with one of the newer ones.

I'd totally take that bet. I can tip the NO-SPILL 160, stick the spout into whatever I'm filling, then push the button allowing everything from a trickle to a deluge. Let off the button, and it's back to being a sealed container.

These are the vents I got...

Amazon.com: JSP Manufacturing Pick a Pack Yellow Fuel Gas Can Vent Cap Chilton Briggs Rotopax Gott Anchor Multipack Pricing (10): Garden & Outdoor

Certainly not a lifetime piece, but they're cheap, and I have a bunch of spares. I can pry the old one out, and stick in a new one. No leaks so far.
Those yellow flapper vents were the kind I used to use, but after some number of years, they all started leaking around where they snap into the jug, and replacing them with new ones didn't stop the leaking. Those spouts from the ebay seller come with black ones, but they didn't last as long as the yellow ones.  I have a lot of spares too, but they won't ever get used unless someone else wants them.
For my diesel jugs, I put two vents in each, since I have to hold those higher than my gas jugs, for what they're used on, but I didn't put just one in one to see if there was any difference.  The fuel does flow out fast though.  Interestingly, those yellow vents have not started leaking on my diesel jugs, but all the gas jugs developed leaks around them.
With the flexible spouts, that don't require a button to be pushed, I can use both hands to hold the 5 gallon jug.  I don't say that they're better than anything else, but I like them best, and can fill anything without spilling a drop.

Here's an old picture when they had the yellow vents in them.  They've all been changed now.

Offline MNBobcat

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2020, 09:02:04 PM »
For filling something like a tractor from a 5 gallon can the clear ticket is a jiggle siphon.  I unscrew the spout off of the gas can and put it aside.  I then sit the can higher up on the hood.  Insert the jiggle siphon and give it a few shakes and then I walk away while the fuel siphons into the tractor. I use that siphon for the skid steer, too.  Its slick as heck!

For the small 1 or 2 gallon gas cans, I use the old style cans without that nasty CARB compliant fill spout.  I hate them.  If you hit garage sales you can find the old style cans with the good spouts.  Otherwise, you can get them out of Canada too.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2020, 09:56:38 PM »
Yep, those jiggle siphons are handy👍
Too many irons in the fire

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
safety techniques for falling a "wolf" tree

Started by Engineer on Forestry and Logging

15 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 07:53:43 PM
by rebocardo
xx
"THAT'S" Launches Logging safety website.

Started by Jeff on Health and Safety

3 Replies
Last post August 13, 2002, 08:22:53 PM
by Gordon
xx
Stihl "Flippy Cap" safety recall

Started by John Mc on Chainsaws

13 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 05:17:00 AM
by roostersgt
xx
1- Twisted Sister or "Walnutz!" and 2- "Pre-Bent" or "Saw Mill Nightmare?

Started by MbfVA on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post September 08, 2017, 12:33:17 PM
by MbfVA