The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: How to get narrow boards from a big log?  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Walnut Beast

• Share Post
Re: How to get narrow boards from a big log?
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2020, 04:19:30 AM »
A log should be put to its highest use.  For a big walnut live edge slabs would make the most money.  Second would be 8/4 lumber as wide as possible.  Third would be 4/4 as wide as possible.  Wide boards from big logs don't cup near as much as wide boards from small logs.  When dry one could rip from each edge to keep centered grain or even just split the board.

Just my opinion.  To take a hardwood cant, especially walnut, and saw it through and through to the bed is the very worse use and borderline criminal.  Of course if you want pallet wood that's ok.
What thickness are you cutting slabs Larry

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2020, 08:31:17 AM »
A log should be put to its highest use.  For a big walnut live edge slabs would make the most money.  Second would be 8/4 lumber as wide as possible.  Third would be 4/4 as wide as possible.  Wide boards from big logs don't cup near as much as wide boards from small logs.  When dry one could rip from each edge to keep centered grain or even just split the board.

Just my opinion.  To take a hardwood cant, especially walnut, and saw it through and through to the bed is the very worse use and borderline criminal.  Of course if you want pallet wood that's ok.
This is very true and it took me a long time to learn to saw what sells rather than what the log should have been used for. When you saw for a living it get's sinful .
I've been saying for years there's three ways to saw any log
1. the way that will give the highest yield volume (recovery rate)
2. the way that will give the highest yield value
3. the way we're sawing it today because thats what the order book says.
If I ever fluke the trifecta I'm going to quit while I'm ahead. :D

One of my good habits is always pulling the worst log from a pile that should cut whatever size the order book dictates.
The great problem with timber is that you can't weld it back together.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Copas Sawmill
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2020, 01:02:00 PM »
What thickness are you cutting slabs Larry
My customers want slabs sawn in the 2" to 3" range.  The guys re-selling
want them on the thin side of that range so they get more slabs out of the log.  The guys building tables want them on the thicker side so they know they will have plenty of meat to get them flat.

I've been hearing with the big slabs (wider than I can saw) that it sometimes takes an inch to get them flat.

The slabs I saw for myself are 2-1/2" thick.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Online alan gage

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2020, 02:47:14 PM »
I don't get very many long logs. I saw a lot of 6 footers, which is what the original log in this thread was. Yesterday I sawed up a couple decent sized 10' walnut logs and to keep everyone happy I took wide boards from it. But only one of those wide boards was 8/4. My dad showed up for a minute so while he was there I took the opportunity to cut a 19" wide 8/4 slab, which was way more than I wanted to move myself. Even the 5/4 stuff was pushing it. Once it was whittled down to a 12" cant I took some more 8/4 boards.

Yes, I do try to avoid lifting the whole thing at once. I can pivot one end over to the stack and then pivot the other end over. But it takes some time and still isn't light on those big ones. I find the heaviest lifting comes when stacking on the pallet, trying to get it placed without moving the stickers out of place.

Alan

Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Offline customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2020, 06:09:17 PM »
I saw slabs at 6/4, 9/4,and 12/4 with my WM mill. If I'm sawing with the lucas then it is wider than 30" and I add a inch for planing.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2020, 06:42:31 PM »
I'll often start stacking with the board nearest my side on the stickers, throw the next one on and flop it over, then throw the next ones onto the ones that are there and flop them into place to avoid leaning over a pile with weight in my hands.

For breakdown of grade lumber I'll pull boards from the best face till the grade starts to fall off, then if the opposite face is good I'll flip 180 and repeat, then 90 to the next best face and either saw it all or flip 180 and leave a core timber. That yields a mix of widths.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Narrow blade

Started by brewdog on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post January 28, 2017, 07:16:17 PM
by bandmiller2
xx
Too narrow for a Woodmizer?

Started by danf26 on Sawmills and Milling

15 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 01:07:24 PM
by Magicman