The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: New Saw reccomendations  (Read 1065 times)

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: New Saw reccomendations
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2020, 12:21:04 AM »
Yep I really like my little 261, it's got a lot of torque for a 50cc saw.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline duane4238

• Member*
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2020, 08:09:14 PM »
Well, from all the replies I've read here, I don't think anyone has used any of these chainsaws who had an unrepairable rotator cuff.  I went through that, but luckily the Dr. was able to fix my shoulder. Took 2 full years before it felt like it was fully healed. I had an 028 Super but it was just too heavy for my shoulders. I ended up getting an MS192. Quite a powerful little saw with a 14" bar and the lightest I could find.  I've cut lots of wood with it. Now that the shoulders are better, I bought a new MS250 with 18" bar and couldn't be more pleased. The OP is gonna have to go and handle some of these saws before he makes a decision.  It's no fun cutting wood when your shoulders hurt all the way to your toes. Good luck with your choice.
Duane

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2020, 08:18:45 PM »
Good points. Trouble is it sounds like the OP has a 70cc task and a 35cc shoulder.  I understand first hand when once routine tasks donít fit into oneís current capabilities any longer. Makes for some tough realistic choices.  At a certain point it becomes necessary to give up mountain climbing and pole vaulting. The mind still wants to do all that, but . . . 

Offline realzed

• Old Fart
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2020, 09:01:00 PM »
I can fully relate with the shoulder comments having had both of mine redone and with a few bits of hardware still implanted in them.
I've also got fairly severe osteoarthritis throughout my shoulders, elbows and especially my thumb joints - so not only can I relate to how it feels, but also how it can hurt your hands to try and start saws that are stubborn and 'kick back'.
To do the best I could in trying to get a saw as light as possible and as easy to start that still retained as much power as possible I tried out a few and settled on a Stihl MS 261CM.
It pretty much rules when it comes to power / weight ratio, has a decomp valve, and is about as well balanced and vibration free as there is out there.
I opted for a 20" bar so I wouldn't have to bend too far forward as a shorter bar would require, and for the most part it has served me very well and I couldn't be more impressed with the power and torque for the size, balance, and weight.
Al would be happy - as I added a 461-style Rescue Saw 'D' handle as he often mentions, to make it a lot easier to get and keep a grip when starting it, verses the smallish OEM pull cord handle and it all works quite well for me - on a small saw that still requires a good sharp tug or two to get it rolling!
Unless one really really needs a longer bar than a 20 incher most or all of the time - I would certainly recommend a look at one of these little guys - you might be very happily surprised all things considered!

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2020, 09:15:05 PM »
Those 261ís really are amazing for 50cc saw and the power/weight is outstanding. They will do good job on bigger wood, just takes a little longer. Might just be the sweet spot for shoulder issues. You gotta be able to start a saw before you can run it.  

Best of luck to OP. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter