The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Quarter Sawn Spruce n Pine for flooring  (Read 512 times)

Offline w_w_w_31

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Quarter Sawn Spruce n Pine for flooring
« on: October 14, 2020, 05:48:11 PM »
Other than the appearance, is there much realistic advantage in going through the effort to saw the boards this way, over flat sawn?  Obviously quarter sawing is going to take a bit more time that just doing slabs.  But if I am doing it for myself, should I?  Will the boards be that much more stable to justify the time?  I get the effort that goes into white oak, because the fleck is amazing.

Where I am, Colorado, there are not many hardwoods at all.  I'm just trying to use what is here, and be realistic about it.

Thanks.

dave

Offline bags

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Quarter Sawn Spruce n Pine for flooring
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 08:13:10 PM »
Were pretty dry here in Colorado--- I wouldn't think of use'in Spruce or Ponderosa for flooring--- I do mill a lot of Doug-fir heartwood flooring in 4-6" widths.

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 07:06:34 AM »
From a purely aesthetic perspective, the vertical grain that results from quartersawing can have a calming effect on a room - especially if it's longer board lengths.

Plus you can double the board width w/o doubling the shrinkage rate, since most QS shrinks at 1/2 the rate across the board versus FS.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 07:42:54 AM »
The main reason for QS in SYP was that it wears harder than flatsawn and is less likely to shell out. I don't think it much matters in white pine but maybe in red or jack where the latewood is considerably harder and tougher than the earlywood.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline kantuckid

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 08:51:49 AM »
Wearwise, there are floors in homes built in the 1700's from softer woods. IMO, it's more about if you'll be bothered by the inevitable marking a softer wood floor will take on over time and the appearance you'll be satisfied with. 
I have wide board oak floors in most of my home and even they now have marks from a few high heel shoes and kids playing, etc.. 
As for a calming effect from certain wood grains-mine are mixed flat and quarter sawn red & white oak and we seem to stay fairly calm here? :D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline w_w_w_31

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 12:43:35 PM »
Thank you all for your posts and input.  I do like the idea of them lasting longer, being soft woods.  I would totally prefer quarter sawn white oak, because that is pretty much my favorite wood to work with.  But, being in the mountains of Colorado, no luck there at reasonable price.

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 01:39:08 PM »
Wearwise, there are floors in homes built in the 1700's from softer woods. IMO, it's more about if you'll be bothered by the inevitable marking a softer wood floor will take on over time and the appearance you'll be satisfied with.
I have wide board oak floors in most of my home and even they now have marks from a few high heel shoes and kids playing, etc..
As for a calming effect from certain wood grains-mine are mixed flat and quarter sawn red & white oak and we seem to stay fairly calm here? :D
LOL.
My aunt and uncle on my father's side were both psychologists' - she had a masters and he was a Phd.  Years ago my wife and I visited them in Washington State and we both noticed a calming effect when we entered their house.  It was something that I could not put into words.
A subsequent discussion surrounded the choices of shapes, materials, colors, and the affect on the human psyche.  I remember being fascinated as they explained it.  
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline kantuckid

• Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 04:59:32 PM »
When you enter my house your gonna be really calm  (we both have masters degrees in counseling psychology ;D)-> if you like wood cause it's surrounding you from all angles. Floors, walls, ceilings, wood furniture, so on.
In my opinion as the guy who "chopped up all the wood" that became whatever your looking at, it's what I chose with lots of help from a wife who likes wood but also knows how to make a home cheery using fabrics and our walls are loaded with artwork, mine and some from old family members who were artist as well.
Oak in Colorado is one day away in MO or AR. Take a trailer and pick up a load?
Many years ago, at a local mill, I ask a Canadian trucker what he hauled south before the hickory he was loading here for tool handles. He said he mostly hauled SPF down and hardwoods back north.
I'm currently doing the exact opposite as you and trying to score some affordable 2x6 SPF or SYP to either T&G myself or already milled. I guess we could trade out wood as I have thousands of BF of white oak standing all around me?
I am not suggesting a marketing thing as that's verboten. ;)
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline w_w_w_31

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 05:28:25 PM »
LOL.
My aunt and uncle on my father's side were both psychologists' - she had a masters and he was a Phd.  Years ago my wife and I visited them in Washington State and we both noticed a calming effect when we entered their house.  It was something that I could not put into words.
A subsequent discussion surrounded the choices of shapes, materials, colors, and the affect on the human psyche.  I remember being fascinated as they explained it.  
I really like this added bonus, as the home I will eventually build is supposed to be a place of peace and quiet.  It does make sense to me that the long linear grain throughout the floors would add some calming.  YES!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Quarter sawn SYP for flooring request

Started by Southside on Sawmills and Milling

22 Replies
Last post March 16, 2018, 09:41:13 AM
by scsmith42
xx
should I try to dry 1/2" thick quarter sawn oak for engineered flooring

Started by GAmillworker on Drying and Processing

10 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 01:58:15 PM
by scsmith42
xx
Quarter sawn Oak and Pine prices and uses?

Started by CaseyK on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2015, 06:48:40 PM
by woodmills1
xx
14" rough sawn pine flooring

Started by ktm250rider on Timber Framing/Log construction

21 Replies
Last post January 03, 2016, 09:02:37 AM
by kantuckid