The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Portable Winch PCW5000 capstan winch (SOLD)  (Read 886 times)

Offline llsathens

• Share Post
    • Stewardship Suppliers
Portable Winch PCW5000 capstan winch (SOLD)
« on: October 14, 2020, 11:28:53 AM »
I sold this locally so it is no longer available. 

(I HAVE READ, UNDERSTAND AND AGREE TO THE TERMS OF POSTING AN AD ON THE FORESTRY FORUM)...5% will go to the Forestry Forum.

Offline calb

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Portable Winch PCW5000 capstan winch
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 11:35:04 AM »
Can you give me a list of the "accessories?  I may be interested- getting too old to fight with with a hand winch, mostly retrieving firewood logs out of the woodlot(s).

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 08:41:14 PM »
I got to use one of these on a couple of occasions. I thought it was a great tool. If I didn't already have a tractor-mounted logging winch, I'd own one of these.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline TheRealKenT

• Member*
  • Hello!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 08:20:13 PM »
Hello, Im new here, but looking for a more efficient way to deal with hard to get tree parts.  This last windstorm left a lot of beech tree pieces in a ravine on my property that would make great firewood - wondering if this is the missing tool to help me save my back and pick up my game!?  It sounds like you have put a few hours on this, how do you think it would handle beech trees ~24 in diameter if I cut them into 20 lengths?  Could I pull them straight up a 2/1 (~60deg) slope?  Ill message you about the included parts and possibility to meet up for purchase.  Thank you!
Ken

Offline peakbagger

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 10:17:21 AM »
FWIW I have similar winch and used it to move some 16" beech on my property. Its steep but not sure if its 60 degrees. Its all a matter of physics. The winch can only pull so hard and sliding friction on rocky ground eats up a lot of the pull. I picked up a couple of swing type snatch blocks that can be put over the line without having to thread the rope through and short nylon straps. I set the snatch block up high on intermediate trees to lift the end of the log up off the ground to reduce the friction on the ground. Once the log gets to the tree with the snatch block I just remove the snatch block and re rig to the next tree.

A skidder cone is also an important tool as it keeps the front edge from catching on things. I dont have one but plan to get one at some point. 

The one thing to be aware of it there can be lot of walking back and forth up and down if one person is doing the work. I expect productivity would go up exponentially with another person around.

Offline llsathens

• Share Post
    • Stewardship Suppliers
Re: Portable Winch PCW5000 capstan winch (SOLD)
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 01:18:25 PM »
These can pull 2,200 pounds on a single line, or much more if you use snatch blocks and ingenuity. There's also a smaller model that pulls 1,500, but it has the benefit of an all-position engine. I've mostly used them for pulling firewood, or helping get pine down when thinning in a plantation. I also know a guy who has used them for pulling his grandkids back up hill when sledding.  :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Capstan winch

Started by tab140 on Forestry and Logging

10 Replies
Last post January 01, 2011, 08:56:49 PM
by tab140
xx
capstan winch

Started by Quebecnewf on Forestry and Logging

13 Replies
Last post March 31, 2006, 12:57:31 PM
by beenthere