iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Muzzle loader season 2020

Started by gspren, October 16, 2020, 06:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

Wednesday afternoon I got a nice 6 point in Delaware with my muzzle loader, that was my 5th day of hunting before getting a shot. I think it took longer to clean the gun after just one shot than it took to field dress the buck.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Walnut Beast

I doubt you will be thinking about that when you bite into some tasty backstrap 😂

sawguy21

What is the range? I have never fired one or seen one used.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Walnut Beast

The newer muzzleloaders with a scope are pretty accurate out to a couple hundred yards

trapper

The last 2 i got with a muzzle loader were at 115 yards.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

thecfarm

Good for you. 
Got pictures?  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodybutcher

What kind of load are you using? Round ball or jacketed sabot?

Walnut Beast

Shooting the range he did I doubt balls and powder. Probably sabo and pyro 🧨 

sawguy21

Ok, I need some edurmacating. How does a jacketed sabot work in a muzzleloader? A local shop has an English shotgun from around 1870 with the original case and owners manual, it is a work of art but how does it operate?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 17, 2020, 09:07:04 PM
Ok, I need some edurmacating. How does a jacketed sabot work in a muzzleloader? A local shop has an English shotgun from around 1870 with the original case and owners manual, it is a work of art but how does it operate?

It all depends on how fast the twist is in the rifle.   A twist of  1 in 48" or slower is good for patched rounds balls or PRB's for short.   A fast twist rifle, like 1 in 28" is way to fast for PRB's.  The patch wont hold the rifleing.  So a long conical bullet or a sabot stile round is required.  Modern in line muzzle loaders all have fast twists.  
My flintlock muzzle loaders have slow twists and I shoot PRB's.    For my 50 cal flintlocks I use a .490 round ball and a .015 latch over 65 grains of FFF Goex blackpowder.  I hunt with my flintlock muzzle loaders even in the regular firearms deer season.  
I have been a muzzle loader hunter many years, hence my name. I can drop a deer out to about 70 yards or so with a flintlock.    I think thats about average for traditional black powder rifles.  In lines can reach out much farther. I don't like them. More like centerfires than muzzleloaders.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

gspren

A little more info, the sabot isn't jacketed the projectile (bullet) is. Sabots are used in civilian purposes to shoot a smaller diameter bullet through a larger bore so a 50 caliber gun can shoot a 30-44 caliber bullet. The sabots are typically plastic that fits snugly in the bore and holds the bullet firm, they are split nearly to the back and when they exit the bore the sides (petals) open up and release the bullet. Sabots used by the military can be much more complex.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!