iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

persimmon holes and powder

Started by doc henderson, October 16, 2020, 07:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

tiny holes in persimmon.   I had milled a yard persimmon tree for a guy named Tom.  He also had a tree nursery, and knew his trees.  he had air dried the wood, but later found these holes.  this was milled in 2018.  I know cause I do not charge, but he was kind enough to give me a gift certificate.  I went to get a couple trees from him (a lilac tree and a maple).  he had told me he put the boards under plastic, and put bug bombs in there.  we had talked about heat treating, and he showed me the wood.  he has a beautiful daughter named Scout, and he wanted to make her a chest.  anyway, here are pics of the wood.  i think it is dry enough the borers are done, and I did not see any new powder so maybe the 5 bug bombs he put under the plastic did its job.  thoughts.  is it safe to build with.  i did not take a moisture meter, inside a shop.  big worry is the bugs, and do we need to heat treat to be safe.  

the tracks on the flat surface looks like the bored out between the boards after sawn, and for sure no evidence of them while sawing.  the holes appear to be 3/32 inch diameter.  @GeneWengert-WoodDoc  @WDH @Southside @YellowHammer 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

Damage from more than one beetle.  But, the bad news is that one of them is in fact the lyctid powderpost beetle.  The last pic shows the edge of the board and you can see the small frass filled tunnels.  The other boring beetles that made the larger holes are most likely gone now, but the PPB's may not be.  They can hang around for several years and then emerge.  Typically, bug bombs do not penetrate into the wood where the beetle eggs and larvae are, so the bug bombs might not have been effective.  As you told him, the sure fire answer is heat.  PPB's sure love persimmon. 

Boracare which is disodium octaborate tetrahydrate, the chemical in Timbor and Solubor, with some other stuff like glycol is supposed to be able to penetrate the wood but I have never used it as a remedial treatment.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

so 160° F overnight, or what do you recommend.  133° internal?
the wood is from a small tree, and about 3 feet long overall.  so he is able to make a small container and add some halogen lights.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

WDH

I would certainly be happy with 160 degrees for a full night for small pieces of wood.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

Doc, I have an excerpt from FWW magazine that instructs how to make a home sterilization chamber. It's pretty simple.

If you'd like a copy, send me a pm with your email address.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

doc henderson

Tom and his daughter Scout brought the wood over today.  I was able to get it into my blanket and fluid warmer that just so happens to go to 160° F.  it was started at about 10 am, and will come out in am.  thanks scsmith!

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

One comment about borate...it is a water solution.  The liquid water carries the borate into the wood, but if the liquid water dries, then the borate stops moving.  So, on air dried wood,  orate is not effective enuf to eliminate the critters unless applied again and again until the core gets wet.

Bug bombs do penetrate the wood somewhat, but the gas disappears before it can attack the eggs or larva that are not active.  It certainly stops those at or near the surface that are coming out to breed, which is important, but is less effective on younger insects deep in the wood.  With the large number of holes, the insects are likely of all ages.

Overall, persimmon is very attractive to a variety of powderpost beetles, including lyctid and ambrosia.  It does seem like you have several different species.  If these were active prior to sawing, we would see a lot of holes cut lengthwise...I see maybe one on all the pictures.  
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

doc henderson

update.  after all the advice for heat, i thought we could squeeze this little bundle in my fluid and blanket warmer i bought on a government auction,  from Fort Riley.  

set at 160°F overnight.  did not initially see any bugs and figured they werre eggs or larva.  i did see a few black specks on the floor, so took a pick on a paper with a 1/4 inch grid.  very tiny.

any idea what it is, and yes looks to dry to eat.

WDH

A gigantic, mutated, Corona Virus. 

doc henderson

doc henderson

anyone have an idea of which bug this is?

WDH

Does not look like a boring beetle.  May be just a hitchhiker that got caught in a heat wave. 

doc henderson

caveman

I looked around at insect larvae pictures last night and did not come up with a good answer.  The shape and eyes remind me of the Asian citrus psyllid but the spikes and location would rule that out. 
Caveman

doc henderson

the size seems to fit the holes.  thanks for the thoughts.  I guess as long as they are dead, that is the main thing.  it was in the dust on the floor of the heater.  i blew everything out prior to heating this wood, so presumptively it came from the wood.  

farmfromkansas

Doc, would you mind telling us more about this blanket and liquid contraption that goes up to 160 degrees?  What auction site did you purchase it on?
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

WDH

Doc, presumptively?

Cause and effect,
Chain of events,
All this chaos makes perfect sense :D.

doc henderson

you know how we are... :)  I "believe" it came from a hole in the wood.  It must be mobile to get out in the heat.  @WDH I appreciate that you think this is an exciting insect.  (not boring).  and you mentioned a hitchhiker.
I have bought a few things on the government liquidation site.  I have 4 mbu heaters used by the military to heat food in modular kitchens.  we used them to warm a meal tent in winter campouts.  usually get good deals, but they have stopped doing it as much.  I got the flhids and blanket warmer from Fort Riley.  I was told it was the last auction they would have.  all hospitals have units to warm IV fluids so that you do not drop a persons body temp if you give say 3 liter quickly.  If people feel cold a warm blanket makes them feel better.  that is why hospitals have them.  I think I paid 100 bucks.  spent a half day going to get it.  It was on base, so my buddy who went along, could not enter as his birthday was wrong on his ID.  I use it often to speed off gassing of finishes, so it speeds up finish time.  I can also dry wood quicker.  this is the first heat treating I used it for.  It was several thousand dollars new.  they had built a new hospital on base, and this one was no longer needed.

these are engravings that some member may recognize.  with the heater set at 120°F I could recoat with spray poly about every 30 minutes.

farmfromkansas

Thanks Doc.  I was watching those auctions for a while, did not see anything very interesting.  Probably be ten years before they sell another warmer like that.  Cool engravings.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

doc henderson

I will keep my eyes open for you!   :o   :)

Thank You Sponsors!