The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: 455 Rancher to 460 Rebuild, Carb Idle Adjustment issues  (Read 75 times)

Offline Bratzsman

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
455 Rancher to 460 Rebuild, Carb Idle Adjustment issues
« on: Yesterday at 03:38:25 PM »
Hello All,

I completed my 1st ever 455 rancher rebuild this morning. I ordered a OEM 49mm cylinder kit from Baileys Online and the assembly when very well. The larger piston and cylinder makes the saw a 460(correct me if i am wrong).I am able to start the saw without issue. However the engine idles very high. When I attempt to adjust the idle speed down the saw dies. there is about a 1/8 of a turn between high idle speed and the saw dying. I took off the top cover and made sure when I turned the idle screw it moved the arm on the opposite side of the card( sorry I don't know the correct terminology) I have tried adjusting the low speed jet but it seem to have no effect on the idle. Currently I have the low speed set to mid range and the high speed jet set to mid range and the saw starts up fine. I have a few questions.
1) I am using the original carb is this ok or do I need to purchase a different carb?
2) If I can use the original carb will I need to remove the factory installed adjustment stops in order to get the carb into adjustment?
3) Am I missing something else simple?

One last thing, I took the advise from other members about adding extra oil to the first tank of gas during the break in period. I added about 1 teaspoon.

This is the 1st time I have rebuild a saw. I have next to no experience adjusting carbs. Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks

Matt  

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: 455 Rancher to 460 Rebuild, Carb Idle Adjustment issues
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 04:50:52 PM »
It sounds like you have an intake air leak which may be why you had to rebuild. With the bar and chain removed and the engine running spray carb and choke cleaner (ether is NOT recommended) around the shaft behind the clutch and behind the carburetor. If the engine changes pitch you have found a source.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Bratzsman

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 05:52:46 PM »
Thanks Saw Guy I will give that a try ASAP. I rebuild the saw due to a loss of compression. When i had the saw apart i found pitting on the cylinder wall. I was using it to mill. I know the saw is to small and i knew i could damage it but i love milling. Looking to buy a bigger saw soon but need the husky for bucking my firewood. 

Thanks for the tip i will let you know what i find.

Offline Bratzsman

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 05:59:36 PM »
YES! You called it SawGuy!!! Sprayed behind the carb and the saw almost died. I will pull it apart and try again! thanks!! this site is a great source for troubleshooting!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
455 Rancher Carb adjustment

Started by ramv102000 on Chainsaws

8 Replies
Last post July 14, 2014, 06:49:17 PM
by ZeroJunk
xx
Stihl 029 Super idle adjustment problems after carb replacement

Started by bdsmith on Chainsaws

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2017, 05:24:31 AM
by mike_belben