The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Where wood you put the wood stove?  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Old enough to know better, but ya only live once!
    • Share Post
Re: Where wood you put the wood stove?
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2020, 08:56:02 AM »
3' above the highest point within 10' or 2' above the ridge is code, but, that looks like a recipe for a downdraft. Wind rolling off the upper roofs is likely going to shove the smoke back down that pipe.

Just to stir the pot, outdoor wood boilers have yet to approach the dim flicker of stone age technology.
That's what i was afraid of by putting it there..... Only other place is just left of the steps. Run pipe to near ceiling, turn towards main shop, go through shop wall, go into shop x feet, turn and go up and out.
In WI had an outdoor boiler. Heated the 4,300 sq ft house and the domestic water. Bought a semi load in the fall. 12" diameter and smaller x 8' oak. Cut it 2x, don't split, toss it in one in morn and once at night. Walla. 
Problem with making outdoor boilers with all sorts of technology, is no one taught the wood to read its suppose to burn like this and that. Plus it's suppose to be x % dry. In a prefect world, sure, but that's not reality. 

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2020, 09:13:44 AM »

Tech wise my recent used stove buy for my cabin build has a catalytic converter in it and represents my first stove with one of those honeycomb thingies. Hard to imagine all that "stuff" going through those little honeycomb holes of about 3/16"SQ?
 I bought the Vermont Castings stove as a basket case and FWIOW, I came real close to leaving it out when I re-assembled the stove.
That would have been a mistake. I have an Atlanta stove I just rebuilt and I found a new replacement catalytic Combustor for it. It makes a big difference in the flue output (very clean), chimney cleaning (a lot less buildup) and heat output (that sucker burns HOT when it kicks in).
 The guy at the stove shop says they are finally coming back and have been used in pellet stoves for years. A little pricey though.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline kantuckid

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2020, 10:01:52 AM »
Never had much issue with my flues staying fairly clean. My SS flue is spic and span always. 
Those outdoor burners are bound to be more trouble than my Water Furnace Geothermal which thermostat is commanded by my wife-I wash my filter now and then but not much else happens.

I remember those days of hoping I'd chosen that somewhat perfect bunch of wood sticks to not catch on each other & hangup, etc. and then come home to a cold house, ah for the good old days? 
A flue in a tallish home is a chore. 
I was happy to see that my catlytic converter was OK other than a million mud dauber nests that I carefully cleaned out! The convertors are like $300+ and the glass fiber box that holds them is another $300+. My $3,500 stove cost me $250 plus 3 cast iron small parts that had been lost in storage. Lots of deals out there on wood stoves people stop using. 

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline stavebuyer

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2020, 08:46:54 PM »
I had my triple wall chimney pretty much like you have yours drawn at my old house. Not only was it below the roof peak and due east(prevaling wind thus rolled over the roof peak) but also the house was surrounded by some 100' oaks too close for comfort. I never had any issue with wind; the harder the wind blew the better it drafted.

Temperature inversions and dead calm with a cool stack will cause trouble as will creosote build up on the chimney cap screen. I would not hesitate to put it where you drew it.

Offline kantuckid

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2020, 06:40:14 AM »
I agree with the red X location as well. 
What stove is the next question.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2020, 03:29:41 PM »
Put it central in the living area and near the roof peak, you have to get heat from the stove to all corners of the house. The further the heat has to travel the cooler it becomes. At least 3 feet clearance above the peak. Put the flu straight up, no turns.The old timers knew this a long time ago in those old square farm houses up here. I built a new house 2 years ago, followed all them rules. Flu stays clean as a whistle even though I check every month of wood burning. Just some powdered soot falls in the pale from the brush. I burn any species of wood off the woodlot from my thinnings.  I've got 43' to the top of the flu including, basement floor to flu join from stove, and double wall stove pipe from stove into flu. Mine is a furnace. :)
Move'n on.

Offline Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2020, 06:46:28 PM »
Put it central in the living area and near the roof peak, you have to get heat from the stove to all corners of the house. The further the heat has to travel the cooler it becomes. At least 3 feet clearance above the peak. Put the flu straight up, no turns.The old timers knew this a long time ago in those old square farm houses up here. I built a new house 2 years ago, followed all them rules. Flu stays clean as a whistle even though I check every month of wood burning. Just some powdered soot falls in the pale from the brush. I burn any species of wood off the woodlot from my thinnings.  I've got 43' to the top of the flu including, basement floor to flu join from stove, and double wall stove pipe from stove into flu. Mine is a furnace. :)
I understand what's best, but the temporary living room will be the garage for the rod some day. There is no ridge in this room. It's a lean to. to get it 3' above the ridge, i wood have to put the stove in the middle of the stair rise, turn to the main shop wall and then turn up through the ceiling/roof. Then my pipe wood be 13' exterior exposed.

Offline Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2020, 06:48:06 PM »
I agree with the red X location as well.
What stove is the next question.
I wood like one that can have the doors open and function properly. I'm more for the snap, crackle, pop and the look of the flames dancing then I am for the heat.

Offline kantuckid

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2020, 08:30:31 AM »
Our Jotul LR stove and the Vermont Castings Encore/Defiance model I rehabbed for my small cabin both have glass doors that burn when open as a fireplace stove. The Vermont Castinmgs appealed to me for my off-grids cabin based on the top loading feature which is also a large, oval, cooking griddle.  
I sold the Fisher stove from my shop. They are indestructible but have no ash pan, a must have for a stove IMO. 
Any stove lacking an ash pan that sits in a living space is gonna be a PITA. 
My wood furnace is coal/wood and has a shaker grate & a huge ash pan,  both VG features to stimulate the fire. There are several brands that have glass and burn solid wood. Napolean is fairly popular modern brand I saw for sale in the used market that has glass. 
After all is said, a wood stove has several unhealthy aspects. Key words are-Chainsaws, your back, your hands, the air within the home, etc.. Even with a well drafted stove the air gets some nastyness in it. My two cents...  

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2020, 10:24:38 AM »
As I said, I have a furnace here with forced air. Has glass door. I have a rocking chair down there, where I sometimes enjoy the flames. :D

Move'n on.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
New stove but no wood

Started by alan gage on Firewood and Wood Heating

16 Replies
Last post November 06, 2019, 08:45:56 PM
by alan gage
xx
Best wood stove for me?

Started by Wedgebanger on Firewood and Wood Heating

60 Replies
Last post December 18, 2019, 12:01:18 PM
by doc henderson