The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: One Man Show Tree Services..  (Read 1231 times)

Offline ButchC

• Share Post
Re: One Man Show Tree Services..
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2020, 07:26:00 AM »
Hey, I ain't no old fogy!😅 Ex hot rodder, dirt track racer and a Z28 Camaro in the garage. 
What Kevin just said rings home, one saw that really makes his point was the 5100S Dolmar. When those things hit the cookie cutter web forums you almost had to own one to be allowed to post and whoa be the owner who didn't send it out to be XYZerized before it ever had fuel in it or to admit to any of the obvious faults once he ran it.  I risked being thrown off the forum😅😅 and went with my gut and purchased a Stihl 260. Guess what, it still puts firewood in the trailer while Id bet there isn't more than a handfull of operational 5100S saws left anywhere.

Back to my original reason for blabbering on in this thread I do appreciate the real world knowledge on this forum and the lack of (sorry I have no polite word to place here) to sort through when looking for an answer.  There are plenty of other places for tbe racers to hang out, thanks all!
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Offline Sprinter

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2020, 08:50:22 PM »
I really like a sharp chain on a smooth running saw that throws chips!  :new_year:
But then, I am an old fart and my racing days are long past.

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2020, 09:29:20 PM »
Butch, you're great. You have a flair for creating words I haven't heard since Slip Mahoney in the Bowery Boys flicks. LOL

And I gotta hand it to ya on your expose' on the 5100s. Nobody talks about that saw anymore. But it was the biggest thing since the Apollo 11 moon landing a couple years ago. Ran fine and lasted a whiie if you wound it down, but lack of a metal ring in the intake boot and very lean factory settings doomed most of them to short lives.

Like Sprinter says, good running saw and a sharp chain and you're all set. Out in the woods, smell of two stroke and fresh cut wood. Life is good. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2020, 10:02:25 PM »
Myself turning 63 soon I can safely say that if we had YouTube back in the 1970's 1980's we'd all be posting cookie cutting videos too :D

Yeah these young guys are hopping up their saws but need to have someone else file their chains :laugh:
Or else stick a new out of the box chain on and find the most punky piece of wood they can find :).

Making a living with a saw I need no modifications.  I only put all my effort into that chain.
Choice of saw? I can't be happier with this couple of hour on it 1989 Stihl 044 I found this summer.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Online SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2020, 05:54:09 AM »
I don't run any tree service for hire, but I do hand cut trees with a Husq. 550 autotune. The low end of the pro saws as you know. No plastic on the chain and brake cover. Although, some folks feel any chainsaw with primer bulb ain't a pro saw. :D I cut 8 cord of firewood a year for the house. This firewood is a product of thinning the woodlot of all the crap that happens naturally. Dying aspen, ants in fir, crooked or animal scarred (moose, hare) hardwoods or suppressed weakened softwoods or too thick to grow diameter wood in a reasonable time frame. All this ground has been thinned before, but by clearing saw. This has been a great fall to get the firewood done, the snow as held off. Usually faced with cutting it in the spring at the same time as thinning season is starting up. With piece work it is easy to fit the time in, you work enough to cover the week and a little extra and take the days to cut firewood. No complaints here. Firewood in these parts is running $300 a cord and up. I fill 3 Tacoma truckloads for a cord, each truck load means a $100 in my pocket, figured 10 loads paid for that saw. Otherwise the pay cheque would be buying the firewood and no benefit at all to my patch of woods, I own 70 acres. ;) ;D And yes, I do plan to sell wood to mills, but that is 13-15 years out. This thinning is promoting more hardwoods and getting some seeding in for the next generation of trees. As it is now, there is zero undergrowth. I need new little trees to begin the next crop. That's my story and I'm stick'n to it. ;)
Move'n on.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Subcontracting tree services?

Started by boatman on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post November 01, 2009, 04:34:58 PM
by woodmills1
xx
gotta love tree services!

Started by Dave H. on Sawmills and Milling

16 Replies
Last post February 24, 2015, 07:23:19 AM
by WDH
xx
Today's Walnut Delivery -- Thank You Local Tree Services !!!

Started by OffGrid973 on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post October 11, 2016, 05:44:35 PM
by WV Sawmiller
xx
Any body got a dogwood tree to show.

Started by Banjo picker on Urban and Community Forestry

11 Replies
Last post April 25, 2019, 09:54:42 PM
by Southside