The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Greenhouse - inserting plastic glass into frame  (Read 307 times)

Offline Flekoun

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Greenhouse - inserting plastic glass into frame
« on: November 03, 2020, 01:01:57 PM »
Hello, I am buiding a timberframe greenhouse and I am looking for a solution on how to insert plastic glass into the frame itself (except roof). I was thinking about a solution where I will cut an approx. 1 inch(2.5cm) groove into the frame on all sides and insert the glass while rising the frame. Check out the picture for explanation. What I am a little bit afraid is whether the plastic glass wont break once the frame start moving/twisting due to drying. Do you think this is a feasible solution? I do not want to spend ages trying to make gazilion window frames so this looks like a fast solution on how to solve this issue. Any ideas guys?

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: Greenhouse - inserting plastic glass into frame
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 01:13:57 PM »
how will you change it later when it gets cloudy or broken?  I would set up the frame.  insert the plastic with a cleat on the front and back, held with nails or screws so it can be installed after the frame is up, and be changed as needed.  could use quarter round.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline 51cub

• Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 02:51:06 PM »
+1 what doc said. Cleats are the way to go
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Offline Flekoun

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 04:48:33 PM »
how will you change it later when it gets cloudy or broken?  I would set up the frame.  insert the plastic with a cleat on the front and back, held with nails or screws so it can be installed after the frame is up, and be changed as needed.  could use quarter round.
Thanks. Yes, you are right that changing the windows could be a nightmare if made as I suggested. I am not exactly sure what the cleat is as I am not an English native speaker. However I am a little bit worried if this does not take a lot of work, I am also not a big fan of nails and screws as I try to do everything without them.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 04:59:22 PM »
That is an issue that lives between your ears. Are you registering how many artificial limitations you are putting on the design, no window frames because it is time consuming, no fasteners because, why exactly? However, you can machine a rabbet that the glazing drops into from the outside and then use glazing points and glazing compound on the outside, like a traditional window. That said it is not a good idea to try to glaze to timbers directly, as you are suspecting, as they move it is more likely to fail. 
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 08:06:24 PM »
a cleat can be a strip of wood that makes a frame on the inside and outside of the plastic window.  to hold the front and the back.  with small nails, it can be removed on one side to replace window material.  you are making the "groove"  with two strips of removable wood.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 01:13:38 AM »
Where are you from?  The user name sounds Icelandic or Netherlands, or Sweden maybe?  You can put your state or country in your profile and it will show up by your name in every post.

I would build your plastic glass wall on the inside of the frame, with wood or Aluminum.  A green house can be humid and if the timbers are exposed to that, they might grow mold, or the worst case, fungii.  Thats why I'd build the wall on the inside of the timberframe.  You can attach your cleats or window frame material to the timberframe with Stainless or Silicon Bronze screws (my favorite because they are strong and will not react with wood).  I found that Boat builders use Silicon bronze screws so I started using them for wood working projects where I didn't want reaction between screws and wood.  Online, the cost is pretty fair.  Silicon Bronze is not soft like Brass and won't shear off easily like stainless can.  I use the slotted head ones to give the impression of being older, but there are other drive styles.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Greenhouse frame

Started by Troy Schon on Timber Framing/Log construction

10 Replies
Last post November 08, 2018, 04:56:35 PM
by fishfighter
xx
Timber Frame Shed/Greenhouse

Started by Dave in MD on Timber Framing/Log construction

1 Replies
Last post September 07, 2020, 01:15:13 PM
by mudfarmer