The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Building A Greenhouse  (Read 13542 times)

Offline Planman1954

• Share Post
Re: Building A Greenhouse
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2020, 08:07:25 PM »
I had to call a plumber for some home plumbing issues, and he is also going to dig a trench and connect the greenhouse to the house waterline. I plan on having a sink in the greenhouse, and I found a deep one for $35 on Craigslist which I bought. Since he is coming sooner than expected, Iíve had to switch gears and quickly build a cabinet for it and get it set in place.
I decided to use eastern red cedar for it since I have a lot in my lumber shed. I guess Iíll use it for all the tables in there since it will last a lifetime for me. Here is a progress photo. Itís 11í long and 2í deep and 3í tall:

<

BTW, the bark on the top will all be hidden under the finished top, which will hold the sink and a slatted area which will allow trash to fall down to a trash bin on the lower shelf....Will come in handy which potting things or cleaning vegetables!
Here is a photo of it with a couple coats of exterior varnish. (The lower shelf boards are removed until I put it in place...itís heavy)

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2020, 08:44:22 AM »
You are progressing very nicely.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Planman1954

• Share Post
« Reply #122 on: August 08, 2020, 05:22:28 PM »
Been working on the inside area where the sink cabinet goes so I can install it...siding and ceiling boards. Iíll start painting it next, and then work on the dirt floor. 
Iíll level it up and apply landscape fabric. Then Iíll place concrete precast stepping stones in walking areas and pea gravel in other areas where benches will be. This also allows me to be able to plant trees in high ceiling areas anywhere they will work in the future.
Here are a couple of pictures that are over the cabinet area.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #123 on: August 08, 2020, 09:16:00 PM »
I am waiting for you to "fess" up and admit that this was actually your new home and you have moved in.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Planman1954

• Share Post
« Reply #124 on: August 08, 2020, 11:45:36 PM »
I think it might be, since I spend so much time out here workin on it!

Offline Planman1954

• Share Post
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2020, 01:09:50 PM »
A bit more progress...

Offline Planman1954

• Share Post
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2020, 01:29:26 PM »
I started work on the floor area around where the sink cedar cabinet is going since my plumber is coming Friday. I leveled up the dirt first and then laid landscape fabric down. I placed concrete blocks where the cabinet will be on the left, along with pathway blocks down the middle. Then I put pea gravel in the rest of the spaces. I left it off where the sink plumbing will come up by the window. Iíll fix that after the plumber is done:

Offline Planman1954

• Share Post
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2020, 02:33:47 PM »
Got the sink cabinet set in place. No lower shelf yet... comes after the plumber finishes the sink.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2020, 04:06:24 PM »
makes a guy want to repot some plants.  excellent work!
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Planman1954

• Share Post
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2020, 04:10:13 PM »
Sooo... Since all the lap siding I cut out of cypress is about gone, I need to have a bit more to finish the inside. I decided to use pine for it, since that is what I have available... thanks to Pineywoods! Iíll use the last few pieces of cypress near the bottom of the walls, and the pine in the upper...less chance for rot, especially since it is inside.
So this morning I got 44 pieces of 8í beveled lap and about 15 pieces of small width 1Ē thick from ONE 8í log about 18Ē diameter. I cut out an 8Ē wide cant down the middle, and then whittled the two side ovals on each end to get another short 8Ē cant from the center of both... produced more siding than ever before for me from one log!
The only reason I could do that is the short log length (8í) since I have to manhandle the ovals off and on the bed with my back. I took a photo cutting some siding and also of the beginning of stacking it into  the kiln. The kiln is running now, and Iíll add the same amount tomorrow hopefully with the next log. I can only make it until 11:00 with the heat down here.

Offline Planman1954

• Share Post
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2020, 08:57:54 AM »
Yesterday I finished the second log,  cutting siding for the greenhouse... thought it would be quick. Nope! First, the log flipped halfway off the other side of the bed while turning. Took me half an hour of wedging to get it back on by myself. Next, as I was finally cutting well, I heard a slight zing as I was going along. I KNEW the log stops were down. Yep... a nail! Got it out, and continued since the blade was still cutting ok. Then I heard it again. Yep! Ok... kept going... another one! Oh well, blade kept cutting, but a bit slower. Finally finished after holding my breath. I really needed that siding from that log! Another fun and hot day at the mill alone. Hereís a picture of the first one:

Offline Planman1954

• Share Post
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2020, 06:54:09 PM »

Iíve been working hard (alone) on the greenhouse over the last month. Iím almost finished. All thatís left is leveling and putting gravel and stepping stones on the floor. I also have to clean the windows and door paint off the glass...I dread that job. Tape was not practical with all the lites. Iím not going to build the rest of the interior benches this winter, but will next spring. 

I have to pull off and go do some work on my barn. I had a leak, which resulted in mold forming on the ceiling in a few places. I have a new metal roof now, and it needs fixing pronto. Hereís some pictures on my work on the floor area Iíve started.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2020, 10:42:18 PM »
I have to pull off and go do some work on my barn.
Sometime you just gots to scratch where you itch!!   ;D  Your greenhouse looks very nice and professionally done.  thumbs-up

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Temporary greenhouse

Started by chet on General Board

10 Replies
Last post April 23, 2015, 08:52:07 AM
by chet
xx
Drying SYP in a greenhouse

Started by Southside on Drying and Processing

1 Replies
Last post March 21, 2015, 09:58:02 PM
by GeneWengert-WoodDoc