The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: 500i cost..  (Read 5185 times)

Offline realzed

• Old Fart
    • Share Post
500i cost..
« on: November 11, 2020, 07:33:03 PM »
Anyone know what the cost is in Canada of a new 500i with a 20" bar on it - which I assume would be the standard bar one of these would come with..
I saw one for the first time on Tuesday and it is one fine and neat looking machine!
It feels like a 362 weight-wise and is very compact and balanced and narrow, considering..
If I had the money and more importantly the use for having one, there would be one parked right beside me now as I type this - it is that cool and neat..
The dealer here said he has 5 of them in his stock room right now and they are $1600 a pop with a 20" B&C.. which had me wondering if that was the 'normal' pricing elsewhere or if he was adding a premium on because of the rarity somewhat right now..

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
Re: 500i cost..
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 09:38:32 PM »
My buddies that bought them all paid $1550 with 20 inch light bar as that is the only way the saw comes up here , they all come with the light bar in different lengths. My dealer is lets just say not happy as we were by far the first to order a 500 , 19 months ago the first order was put in for one . I'm pretty sure it is not Stihl's fault , its the road man that works for stihl . Road man was at shop Monday and said are you going to place your spring order now , Get me my saw first and will talk about it 

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 09:39:25 PM »
That sounds about right in Canadian pesos. >:( The little MS170 is $159.95 across the line, $259.95 here and that's on promo!

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 09:41:17 PM »
there are dealers with in a hour of me with 500i but I ordered from my dealer which is a good man and I want my saw threw him, any time I need something he gets after it and I have my parts . Thats getting hard to get now 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 09:42:23 PM »
lots of guys are paying that amount in USA coin 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 09:43:53 PM »
depends on the day but thats about the same as $1183 in USA coin

Offline woodworker9

• Share Post
    • Elite Concrete Raising Co.
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 03:09:13 PM »
I just left my local Stihl dealer.  He has ONE MS 500i in stock, and it's listed at, and selling to someone (his words, not mine) for $1389.00 with a 28" "light" bar.  US dollars.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Offline realzed

• Old Fart
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 06:21:09 PM »
Wow - they're certainly not giving them away down there are they!?  That's something like $1800 - $1850 CDN or roughly $1775 or so with an equivalent 20" bar here, since each upgrade of bar length usually adds $20 or so to the price from my experience when buying new from a dealer around here..
And I always thought we Canadians were getting shafted due to the exchange prices of everything brought in from the USA!    :o :(

Offline ZeroJunk

• Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 07:05:41 AM »
I just left my local Stihl dealer.  He has ONE MS 500i in stock, and it's listed at, and selling to someone (his words, not mine) for $1389.00 with a 28" "light" bar.  US dollars.
I think the store I work for part time is asking 1349.00 with a 25 inch bar. They don't stay on the shelf long.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 08:20:51 AM »
That sounds about right in Canadian pesos. >:( The little MS170 is $159.95 across the line, $259.95 here and that's on promo!
Well the 500i is one case where you guys get lucky and get a huge break, they are much cheaper up there.  
Liking Walnut

Offline woodworker9

• Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 10:29:13 AM »
Yeah, my local dealer told me he's already sold 8 of them, and it takes less than a day or 2 for them to sell, once they're on the shelf.  The one I mentioned was already sold this morning when I went in.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 06:49:15 PM »
NW, were most times cheaper on saws up here than your guys , the bigger the saw the bigger the difference in cost . You guys pay crazy money for stuff like 3120's and 880's 

Offline Bthomasb3

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 06:56:13 PM »
I purchased my ms500i today for 1310.00 us.
What is striking me kind of odd here in central Pennsylvania seems like nobody can get those saws  most places haven't even had one in their shop but I'm hearing other people have sold eight of them I wonder why that would be that the dealers around here can't get them.I bought the only one i could find in my area for a hr drive.

Offline realzed

• Old Fart
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 08:02:33 PM »
 "any time I need something he gets after it and I have my parts" . 
Apparently - for you though, that unfortunately doesn't apply to actual saws = even after what, 19 months..?

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2020, 08:06:03 AM »
not my dealer's fault , he ordered the saw 4 times now and were to the point I really do not care if it ever shows up , he is also a Husky dealer so I bought a couple more huskys and I got lots of 461's and 462's and 372's with some bring brand new . The husky 365 cost $849 and I can spend a night porting it and the 500i will not even come close and I know the 365 will last a long time ported . Like I said , when saws start getting over $1200 thats getting up there pretty high 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2020, 08:21:13 AM »
NW, were most times cheaper on saws up here than your guys , the bigger the saw the bigger the difference in cost . You guys pay crazy money for stuff like 3120's and 880's
Yep, worth a trip to see you just for that.  Man, hope the vaccine gets here and life gets back to normal because the savings on the 500i will pay for the gas money  :D.  My dealer does have one on the shelf though.  And like you I tend to support him despite the high prices.  
Hmm, is anyone porting a 500i?  
Liking Walnut

Offline so il logger

• Share Post
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2020, 10:33:24 PM »
Absolutely guys are porting the 500i. From what I hear though it seems stihl has been paying attention as there may not be as much to gain vs other models. My guy that ports saws for me has had them on his dyno and stock 7hp to ported 9hp range. I'll find out in january how much more impressive a ported one is vs my stock one.

Another thing about the 500i, from what I hear squish is pretty consistent at .020 from the factory with a base gasket. So we cant delete the gasket to bump comp without machine work. But they run very well totally stock

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2020, 12:07:10 PM »
Some guys just can't leave things alone :D

Offline BeerFarmer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2020, 08:52:58 PM »
I paid $1725 all in with a 25" light bar, and a 4L of Motomix to double the warranty. That in Alberta, so only GST.

Offline so il logger

• Share Post
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2020, 12:25:57 AM »
Experiment for me. I ran stock saws in a production environment for years. But if there is still gains to be had by doing some work that "shouldn't" lessen its lifespan then I'm all for it. Your already packing the saw... If more power is available in the same package then why not?

Offline Real1shepherd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2020, 03:40:12 AM »
Experiment for me. I ran stock saws in a production environment for years. But if there is still gains to be had by doing some work that "shouldn't" lessen its lifespan then I'm all for it. Your already packing the saw... If more power is available in the same package then why not?
Because often the price to be paid is more gas consumption. Larger cc saws historically, are thirsty anyway and so porting a large cc saw makes you run back to the gas can more. If I'm gonna do that, then I better be getting half again more wood cut in production and I'm not seeing that with porting big cc saws.

Sometimes you need to leave well enough alone. Of course YMMV and you asked.

Kevin

Offline so il logger

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2020, 11:13:03 PM »
I wouldn't say the 500i is a big cc saw. My experience with running ported actual big cc saws like 395's and ms 660's is not like that. Sure they may use a little more fuel than bone stock, but the amount of timber I can put on the ground tank per tank out weighs any miniscule money the gas costs. And they run cooler than a stock saw, which I might add is one thing in particular where I could see the 500i benefiting more than others. 

Offline Real1shepherd

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2020, 09:22:23 AM »
Well, there you have it.....the two different viewpoints on porting production saws. And there will always be that division.

And if you pay someone $3-$4oo to port your saw, it will increase production by 2.8) What else are you gonna say when you just spent that kind of money......I don't see it, but there's plenty of porting Kool-aid out there to drink. And I'm glad we live in a society where we can still have different points of view without repercussions.

Kevin

Offline Happysawer

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2020, 02:01:50 PM »
Removed.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2020, 08:19:12 PM »
I have ported alot of saws for tree companies and loggers besides myself , tree guys always say they gain a job a day so pretty much 1 job pays for the port job, Loggers go by I can run one size smaller saw and still cut as much as the bigger saw with less weight so easier on the body or just port the bigger saw and it cuts faster , as far as fuel goes I do not see more fuel burnt per tree which is how you should measure your fuel , you cannot do it by the hour cause a good ported saw will cut quite a few more trees in that hour  and myself I find saws like the 372 stock burn more fuel per tree by quite abit . My airplane fixing friend is out in BC and he says 500i are everywhere out there at dealers . 

Offline woodworker9

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2020, 12:54:43 AM »
Thanks for the explanation, ehp.  Makes sense to me as a business owner.

Question.....speaking for my own ignorance, what exactly is done to call it "ported"?  I'm not about to try it myself, but am curious.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2020, 08:01:17 AM »
porting is changing the place that the port opens and closes when the piston goes up and down in the stroke , or you changed the amount of air/fuel/ext charge that goes thru the port so by making the port wider so by doing that you increased the port area , setting the squish which is the clearance between the piston and the combustion chamber of the cylinder , opening the muffler opening up so the motor breath better and runs cooler , there is lots of other things like flywheel timing and carb size and stuff

Offline woodworker9

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2020, 10:59:55 AM »
ehp

Thanks for the explanation.

Offline ZeroJunk

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2020, 03:19:36 PM »
Not to get to far in the weeds, but you know the manufacturer's engineers no exactly what the port modification guys are doing and they could build them that way to start with if they wanted .
Why don't they.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2020, 04:02:37 PM »
Not to get to far in the weeds, but you know the manufacturer's engineers no exactly what the port modification guys are doing and they could build them that way to start with if they wanted .
Why don't they.
They have to meet noise and emissions rules. If you don't care about those things then you can do things differently. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2020, 06:27:51 PM »
because most saw companies are around 60% of what the saw can handle power wise before the newer saws designs came , now they are building lots of saws closer to what the saw can handle but its not power wise its fuel, Most saws now are going to fuel systems you can not adjust the fuel amount much so that hurts on how much porting you can do to the saw

Offline Happysawer

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2020, 07:15:40 PM »
Removed.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2020, 05:05:40 PM »
My buddy that fixes jet planes bought a new 500i today out west $1499 plus tax and thats with a full wrap handle , 32 inch light weight bar and 3 chains so thats a pretty good deal and thats in canadian junk dollars

Offline ZeroJunk

• Share Post
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2020, 04:41:22 PM »
I ran my MS660 today with a 34 inch bar cutting some big butts off as close to the ground as I could. Now, my shoulders hurt, my wrist hurts, my forearms hurt. Getting old. That 500I is sounding better and better.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2020, 06:37:52 PM »
go look at the 462 as well, its a good light saw to

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2020, 10:24:19 AM »
So my buddy that's out west called last night and told me I'm getting a 500i . He bought another one yesterday and being it home with him just before Christmas so I should have one to run by then . We will see what all the hype is about this saw . I got a brand new 462 arctic sitting here that I will test against it once both saw have 10 to 15 tanks of fuel threw them

Offline snobdds

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2020, 10:45:05 AM »
I saw one in my saw shop last week with a list price of 1299.

It is so tempting, but I don't make my money with a saw.  I'm just a guy that clears and thins trees on a mountain property.  I have 4 saws already, so don't need it.  I just like the concept of EFI.  

Offline woodworker9

• Share Post
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2020, 12:56:37 PM »
I just bought a 362 CM last week, but I've already decided that the 500i is my next purchase.

I've seen enough guys on YouTube talk about it highly to know it's a great saw.  Knowing that it's almost a couple pounds lighter than my 461 is enough.  I love the 461, but that sucker gets heavy by the end of a long day cutting.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2020, 11:53:48 PM »
Buddy landed today from out west , the 2 -500i have been at his place for about a week so I'm guess I should have a 500i sometime this week 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2020, 06:33:39 AM »
one in the truck, we will see how it works . I hope I do not put a tree over on top of this thing lol . Its light and rpms fast 

Offline Happysawer

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2020, 07:44:08 AM »

Removed.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2020, 01:16:34 PM »
So far so good . Have not put a tree over it but the days not done yet lol . I get the same number of trees per tank as the 462. 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2020, 06:19:33 PM »
day number 2 in the books so what do I think, My muffler is a bright blue/purple colour in 3 tanks so way faster than a 462 on turning colour. You have to make this saw cut to get anything good power wise out of it , If you just put a brandnew chain on it out of the box your leaving lots on the table , You have to make the sound of the saw howl, If your not using the power it stays pretty rich . Once I cut a week or 2 with it I will time it against a good stock 462 . No question the 500i has more torque . Both Pete and myself donot really like the off switch , I prefer the 462 shut off over this setup, not as easy to turn off with gloves on your hands . We will have to see on the mounts , it does seem kind of soft in them , you can really tell when your cutting with the back of the bar on the stump when falling . 

Offline Woodfarmer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2020, 02:13:30 PM »
So will you Port the 462 and send it my way Ed?

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2020, 05:20:59 PM »
lots of guys say they are gaining lots by porting a 462 but honestly yes there is room to gain on that saw but its not alot like other saws cause the port timing is very close to what you want in a ported motor so your kind of left with raising the compression and advancing the flywheel and muffler mod , you have to be care full lowering the cylinder cause the bottom of the ext. port will become open with the piston at TDC , The piston skirt will end up above the bottom of the port, thats not a good thing . Now you can make a 462 pretty fast by using different parts from different saws and yes I have built a few for myself doing so  now if you keep the Mtronic it will be your problem if you built to hot of a motor cause it cannot provide enough fuel but if you keep all stock engine parts the Mtronic works very well . I am surprised at how strong the 500 was right off the start , Im not seeing much of  big gain like I seen with the 462 as it breaks in . I'm wondering when the 500i arctic is going to come out . 

Offline so il logger

• Share Post
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2020, 03:03:46 PM »
Ed, I was really starting to wonder if this 500i was gonna wake up like guys had told me. It took a fair amount of run time and then from 1 tank to the next it was like a switch flipped. Maybe it is programmed to do so after so much run time?

Slightly opening the muffler and an 8 pin helps allot too 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2020, 06:04:07 PM »
My 500i is ok, I think Pete's is abit lazy but I think he is not making the saw grunt like I am, My muffler is a bright blue/purple colour real fast as his is still almost like the colour when new . I blocked alot of firewood today with it for a friend so Im getting run time on it 

Offline woodworker9

• Share Post
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2020, 11:53:43 PM »
My wife surprised me with an early Christmas present today.  I'm cutting big honey locust all week, and I think she felt sorry for me, since I was just mentioning that I wished I had one more saw in my arsenal.  Asked me to check out a noise in her trunk tonight, like something was wrong with her car.  She played it up perfectly, too.  I popped the rear door/hatch, and there sat my new 500i.  It'll be in the truck tomorrow, and the 461 and 362 get some help.  I won't have to stop to file so often now. 16į this morning, and the logs are frozen.  She got me a 28" light bar with it.  Probably gonna get a 25" for it, too.  That's what I have on the 461.

I'm pretty excited.  I was going to buy it in the spring, anyways.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2020, 12:00:52 AM »
 8)She's a keeper!

Offline woodworker9

• Share Post
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2020, 08:51:30 AM »
8)She's a keeper!
Yep!  She's a looker, too.   :D  

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2020, 09:06:02 AM »
I put 25 inch on mine. Pete put 28 inch on his . I like mine with the 25 inch . It feels about right and saw has enough torque to run that setup well. I tried a 20 inch setup on it and to be honest that setup does not work for the saw . Your not using the power the saw has . My compression has come up abit now but thats about it . My muffler is a very bright blue colour now 

Offline woodworker9

• Share Post
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2020, 11:58:15 PM »
I ran the 500i this morning.  Very nice saw.  I can tell it's a bit more powerful than my 461 (which I love) but with that Light bar....what a difference in weight.  It feels as comfortable as my 362.  I think I'm going to invest in a Light bar for the 461.  I love that saw, but it's heavy.

I was bucking and noodling big honey locust all morning, walking the half-rounds up a ramp with my log dolly.  Frozen logs.  Fastest saw I've ever owned.  It's a keeper, and I'm guessing it'll just get better.  

I think a 25" bar would be perfect for this saw, but I'm keeping that 28"er for the bigger stuff.  The saw handled that bar with ease, as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not spoiled by ever having run any of the really big saws, 661's or bigger.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2020, 10:06:03 AM »
My stihl dealer said he heard rumors that the 500i that was ordered almost a couple years ago is to becoming to him so we will see . I like this one i got so might as well have 2 of them lol

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2020, 05:07:26 PM »
dealer was right , it showed up at 3 this afternoon , saw is home here now and at a very good price  8)

Offline Dave12

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2020, 11:05:00 AM »
I was at my local dealer in Strathroy, Ontario this morning.  He's had some in but they are sold.  He's only getting them in on pre-order.  Selling them for $1600 with a 20" bar.
Just a small time firewood cutter using a Stihl MS261c and MS462c

Offline Happysawer

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2020, 01:06:06 PM »

Removed.

Offline Dave12

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2020, 04:00:17 PM »
I was at my local dealer in Strathroy, Ontario this morning.  He's had some in but they are sold.  He's only getting them in on pre-order.  Selling them for $1600 with a 20" bar.
I can go down to my local Stihl dealer today and buy the 500i on shelf for $1390 US with a Stihl 36 inch Bar and Chain.
It's the photo on far right bottom shelf.
(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

That's equal to $1776 Canadian with the current exchange rate.  So not much different given the 36" bar.  It might even be a little cheaper in Canada if one with a 20" bar is $1600.  I don't know how much more a 36" would be.  I'm sure ehp didn't pay that much for his.  His local guy treats him right.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2020, 08:15:55 PM »
The saw from out west was $1499  canadian  coin and with 25 inch light weight bar . Yesterday saw was dealer cost cause I had to wait so long

Offline woodworker9

• Share Post
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2020, 10:29:04 AM »
Bought this week, paid $1359, including a 28" "Light" bar.  Not bad from what I'm reading.  That's a $160 (or so) bar.  I also got a Stihl orange "Woodsman" case for it thrown in.  My dealer takes care of me, because he knows I'm loyal.  Every piece of Stihl equipment I buy, from concrete saws to hedge trimmers and string trimmers, plus chainsaws, I buy from him.  

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2020, 01:56:51 PM »
I was surprised at how much mark up was on the 500i , the dealers are making pretty good money on these saws but still its quite alot of money just for a chainsaw

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2020, 02:00:41 PM »
another thing , if you want a 25 inch light weight stihl bar in eastern Canada  hope your dealer has them cause Stihl Canada is out . 100 of the 20 inch light weight bars just showed up but thats nothing when you add up the number of dealers in this part of the country 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2021, 06:13:09 PM »
So been running the 500i steady falling with it , I have read and seen videos of guys complaining about how dirty the air filter gets , I have not cleaned my filter yet and been cutting lots of walnut which is very dirty kind of wood , pine, maple, beech and hemlock , Its no where as bad as I was thinking it was going to be and fuel mileage is fine to me 

Offline woodworker9

• Share Post
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2021, 09:35:39 AM »
Agreed.  I'm running mine a lot, too, every day.  My 461 has to be cleaned several times a day.  My 500i filter stays surprisingly clean.  Barely any sawdust in the outside.  A small fraction of the 461.  I've gotten to the point where I don't feel I have to check it constantly, like with the 461.

Offline chep

• Share Post
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2021, 11:31:53 PM »
I got to put a couple tanks through a buddy's 500. 24 inch bar was a delight. He. Has a bark buster exhaust on it so I assume that opens it up a bit? But it ripped. Great power for the weight. 
I love my 461s. But I want a 500 soon. Seemed worth the $

Offline Dave12

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2021, 08:41:07 AM »
another thing , if you want a 25 inch light weight stihl bar in eastern Canada  hope your dealer has them cause Stihl Canada is out . 100 of the 20 inch light weight bars just showed up but thats nothing when you add up the number of dealers in this part of the country
Tadgell's in Strathroy, Ontario has some 25" light bars if anyone is actively looking and can't find one.

Offline dnash

• Share Post
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2021, 11:53:36 AM »
Weíve been getting bars and chains from Hyde Park Equipment, no disruptions so far but that isnít to say it ainít coming.
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2021, 06:23:42 PM »
I picked up 10 bars tonight from my guy, Stihl is starting to get stuff in again . The guy that owns Hyde Park is real good friends with my father in law , Phil did the motor for that guys Vette , I have bought saws off him before 

Offline Andyshine77

• Share Post
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2021, 11:55:04 PM »
So been running the 500i steady falling with it , I have read and seen videos of guys complaining about how dirty the air filter gets , I have not cleaned my filter yet and been cutting lots of walnut which is very dirty kind of wood , pine, maple, beech and hemlock , Its no where as bad as I was thinking it was going to be and fuel mileage is fine to me
I didn't notice the 500i sucking down more fuel than normal, like some have said. The filter isn't great, but not bad, the dust from the dead Ash I've been cutting packs the filter pretty quick, that's about the worst conditions I'll ever cut in though.
Andre.

Offline Woodfarmer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2021, 12:20:07 PM »
My dealer was able to get two and Iím picking mine up tomorrow morning😃😃

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2021, 05:04:48 PM »
they will run out again if this lock down happens in the rest of the world 

Offline Tacotodd

• To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2021, 12:34:54 AM »
Just get it while you can. Not much advice, but itís probably the most spot on.
Trying harder everyday.

Offline Stihlpotlicker

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2021, 06:03:46 AM »
I didn't notice the 500i sucking down more fuel than normal, like some have said. The filter isn't great, but not bad, the dust from the dead Ash I've been cutting packs the filter pretty quick, that's about the worst conditions I'll ever cut in though.
when they tested them over in Europe, the told the guys NOT to clean the filter and they ran it for months like that.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2021, 03:32:11 PM »
So far so good, I did cut a fair amount of walnut which is dirty dusty wood and filter is fine . I did notice on the cold days when topping trees cause I snap the throttle cutting limbs I would get abit rich and get a small bang in the muffler from unburnt fuel, Im going to play abit with the first one and see if I can get it to run like I want 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
The real cost of bands? Swing mill have lower cost?

Started by Doug_D on Sawmills and Milling

24 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 04:39:05 PM
by ARKANSAWYER
xx
Stihl ms 500i

Started by DelawhereJoe on Chainsaws

80 Replies
Last post November 07, 2020, 04:36:15 PM
by ZeroJunk
xx
Red Oak 4/4 cost?