The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Woodmizer BMS25, Anybody got one?  (Read 685 times)

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
Woodmizer BMS25, Anybody got one?
« on: November 17, 2020, 12:18:49 PM »
SO I got an email from WM today about this new sharpener they have. The price point ($799) is reasonable and something for me to shoot for. I watched the video and it is pretty fast and automatic. They don't have a cam for 4° blades yet and that is a show stopper for me, but they say it is coming soon. I would still need a setter and for me it has to do 2 teeth so the setter then costs more than the sharpener. I will look for another brand like Cooks or somebody they can get me into a setter I can afford. 
But the sharpener is interesting. Does anybody have one yet? Maybe it's too son, but if someone happens across this thread later on, maybe you could tell us how it works for you? I think it won't be long before these are out there in the world. Looks like a winner.

BMS25 Bandsaw Blade Sharpener| Portable Sawmills & Wood Processing Equipment
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Online barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Woodmizer BMS25, Anybody got one?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 03:48:53 PM »
I'd have to see it in person, I got the email flyer too. Honestly it doesn't look very impressive, I think it is a retool of the logosol model, including the 12v motor. What are going to hook your pickup to it? I could be wrong of course😊
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 04:01:04 PM »
Well the 12v feature is neither here nor there for me. I always have a battery laying about for jumping tractors or starting the generator, so no big deal to hook that up. I was attracted by the price and the automatic operation. I am not yet close to having this in my budget, so I am just keeping my eyes open. New product releases come slow these days. Gotta keep up. :D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Online Durf700

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 05:55:01 PM »
it actually looks really good for the money!

Online trapper

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 06:09:20 PM »
the 1987 woodmizer sharpener i had used A 12 volt motor
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 08:44:20 PM »
Yea - got the same e-mail.  From the video it appears to only grind the face of the tooth, not the gullet or the back side.  If you don't grind the gullet cracks out you will get broken bands earlier than if they had been removed, just basic metal maintenance.  

Pretty sure they had this same design a long time ago in a black color pattern, and since they bought the Logosol label then it makes sense that is where it came from.  

Have to say I am on the fence about how effective it really is from a money saving standpoint.  If it only grinds the face, then there is that issue, and you still need a setter to do it right.  At $10 / band to have them done by re-sharp you need to sharpen over 180 bands before you break even, figure in your time to do that and the number goes up, ball park 400 BF / band cycle and you are at 72,000 BF of lumber sawn.  Still a hobby?  

I find sharpening to be like shaving.  When you didn't have to do it you couldn't wait to be able to do it, now that you need to do it, you wish you didn't have to.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 09:27:05 PM »
I find sharpening to be like shaving.  When you didn't have to do it you couldn't wait to be able to do it, now that you need to do it, you wish you didn't have to.  
There's a gem. Yeah, just like that. I straddle that hobby/business line and beyond the $10/blade resharp, there is the shipping cost and time delay. I am not running out to buy one...yet, but looking into it. Yeah, I noticed no spark in the gullet or backside, but they say they have 'cams' so I was thinking it will do the full profile. If it does not, that I am out. The full form has to be ground or there is no integrity and you wind up with misshapen gullets (sounds like a serious medical issue). There is also a guy down the road with an LT50 that told me if I ever got a sharpener setup I could do all his blades, he doesn't resharpen anything, used once and throw on the pile, no time to mess with it. He has a pile of blades. Also have a guy with an LT 35 4 doors down. SO there is that aspect for winter work in the shop. I'm just rolling this stuff around in my head.

Online barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 12:37:53 AM »
If you want to sharpen for others especially, get a real sharpener. I have the Cook's that I like ok. I got that for the versatility of doing different profiles and angles, Woodmizer was just coming out with the CBN grinders at the time. If I was doing it over I'd get the WM. I really only sharpen for myself, if someone wanted me to sharpen blades on a CBN machine and they had a different profile blade, I'd probably just make but the CBN wheel🤷🏽‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 08:31:31 PM »
There’s a reason that sharpener is $799.  There are several sharpeners in that price range.  I hate to admit this but I ordered and looked at one very similar.  It was essentially a chainsaw sharpener that ground the face only.  I sent it back because it was a spindly wobbly little machine.  If I were sharpening a couple of blades per month maybe it would do but for 30 to 60 or more blades per month, it would never meet expectations.   While spending $5,000 isn’t in your budget there are better machines for not a whole lot more money.  

Doing the math on the pay back for more expensive equipment is important especially if you are in that hobby-business gray area.  I was stuck in that shipping-sharpen and return cycle for a while.  In a couple of instances it was quicker to order a new blades than wait on Resharp to send my blades.  Once that happened a couple of times it became apparent that having my own equipment would be a savings in 14-16 months.

Finding someone within driving distance who will sharpen your blades might be a better alternative.  I sharpen for a couple of hobby guys.  I charge 7$ per blade if they pick up and deliver.  
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline hacknchop

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 10:20:07 PM »
I pay $8.00 cdn plus tax 13%=$9.04 still works for me his being 3 miles away is good too.
Often wrong never indoubt

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 10:26:49 PM »
Your math is indisputable Ted, of course, and pretty much what I am thinking, but I like to give new products a good think to see if it makes sense for me. As I said, I am a while out from any purchase, if I even make one, and am thinking if things go really well (which I doubt) I may have the cash put away by next summer and (assuming a major improvement on the virus front) I will take all my spare cash up to Woodsman days in Booneville next August and make my decisions on stuff I can see, touch, feel, and test. Usually they're happy to sell stuff at the end of the show rather than bring it back to the shop. My buddy got a heck of a deal on the demo Slabmizer unit they ran the whole show last year.
 I would LOVE to have a local sharpener (within an hour drive). When I got my mill I asked every sawyer I knew or met in the area who did local sharpening and they all said, 'there is nobody, but if you ever gear up for it, let me know and I'll have you do all my blades'. The heartbreaker for me was when I asked my buddy down the road. He said "aw man! I just sold my LT40 and gave the guy the full WM grinding and setting machines to go with it, I never had time to use them. I would have given them to you and paid you to sharpen my blades." I missed out by 2 weeks. I asked what model he had and he said he didn't know but it was 'the pro version, fully automatic everything' which only narrows it a bit, but that one still stings a little. You know me, old and still learning new things. :D

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 10:57:50 PM »
I played the video in very close zoom in and it appears to me that the sharpener is “supposed” to grind the face and gullet.  I can hear it hit both the face and backside tooth top, with the volume turned up, also.  It does the characteristic “Shiiiik-Shick” of a profile grinder missing the bottom of the gullet by a few thousandths.  The issue, as far as I can see, which was also an issue with my old Cats Claw, was that not only did the cam have to match the profile, but the rock grind did, also.  So as the employee is making adjustments with the dressing wheel, he is making adjustments to the grinding profile, which is probably why he keeps fiddling with it.  I’ve had to do this very thing hundreds of times.  The way it is configured, after a couple trips around the band, the sharpener will have successfully altered the profile of the tooth and gullet to match the rock grind, and will have a full profile grind from then on.  However, the grind won’t be an exact WM grind profile anymore.   

This was one reason I changed to a CBN wheel.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won’t roll, its not a log; it’s still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they’re burned, and you can’t fix them.  Don’t burn the cookies.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 11:25:21 PM »
The issue, as far as I can see, which was also an issue with my old Cats Claw, was that not only did the cam have to match the profile, but the rock grind did, also.  So as the employee is making adjustments with the dressing wheel, he is making adjustments to the grinding profile, which is probably why he keeps fiddling with it. 
Yup, I know exactly what you are saying. I started my career half a century ago as an apprentice cutter grinder. In the following decades I learned more about grinding than most people (including me) would ever want to know and even more about cutting tool geometry. For me, that stuff is like riding a bike, but I know most folks don't have that skill. The wheel shape is a primary concern and must be right. CBN is the obvious choice because it removes that skill and knowledge requirement. Not knocking anybody's skill here, but as you allude to, it is both complex and crucial to have correct. It takes years of experience to get that right and understand it, then you throw in the cam movement and it can get very confusing, very quickly. Anybody but a cutter grinder would be really confused, and I would argue that any sawyer that gets it right off is also a cutter grinder. :D.
 I thought this machine was following the profile even if it wasn't grinding the entire surface in the video. You concur with that. I'd be interested to see if anyone stumbles on this thread in 6 months or more and lets us know how the unit they bought is working for them.  WM does not put junk on the market, yes, it is a low price point, but I expect they did their usual good job with it.

Offline richhiway

• Rich
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 06:27:17 PM »
Logosol has a video on youtube demoing that machine.

My thought on it is I would not run the blades as long as I do now and touch them up once or twice, then send them in to resharp for a set and full grind. I have come to see the bands like a chain saw chain. It would be nice to sharpen them before they get too dull.I have learned once they are 3/4 dull it is time to get them off the mill or you are wasting time.The portable machine does not require a dedicated indoor space and it does not look too time consuming to run a few bands through it. Also it would make you more self sufficient in time of blade shortages and slow resharp turn around time.

My reasoning being that I do not have the time to spend setting and sharpening my blades, and it would take forever to get the investment back on all the right tools at the rate I saw.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Woodmizer hydraulic mill and Woodmizer Edger

Started by Keith Edge on For Sale

0 Replies
Last post December 22, 2008, 08:11:51 AM
by Keith Edge
xx
Woodmizer LT 15

Started by robbshowe on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post January 03, 2009, 10:36:46 AM
by Jeff