The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Covering My Timbers?  (Read 220 times)

Offline PRC

• Putting the K in Kustom
    • Share Post
Covering My Timbers?
« on: November 20, 2020, 11:19:33 PM »
Hey guys,

Well, I went and did it.  I've been lurking around here for years, and have built a couple of small projects.  I've had an entire 36x24  barn worth of beams delivered to my property.  I'm in the process of setting up my work area, and will start cutting in the next few days.

Before you get too excited, I'm not doing a true timberframe.  I decided to go with the T-Rex connectors.  It'll give me 90% of the look I want, but it'll save me a considerable amount of time, and since I'm working mostly alone, it won't take me 20 years to finish. 

I've been letting the lumber breathe for the last few days (It came wrapped).   I'm going to get everything stickered this weekend.  I'm looking for a cheap way to cover them.  I know folks have mentioned metal sheets in other posts. 

Any thoughts on those cheap blue tarps that they sell on the big box stores being used to cover the wood?  I was thinking of more or less strapping them down and keeping the "sides" open so air can flow over the wood.

I live in a cold climate, and the snow will be here before we know it, what are your thoughts?

I have no idea what I'm doing, but if I keep reading and making mistakes, I just might get somewhere.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: Covering My Timbers?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 10:37:14 AM »
at first I thought you meant it was in the barn,   :).  has it been dried in some way or green?  any cover to block sun and moisture.  if green will need stacked and ventilated.  if it was air dried to 12%, maybe just wrap it back up so it is accessible.  my first thoughts.  
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 04:04:56 PM »
Brad's pallet covers are the best way to go. Make pallets large enough to cover the piles and put tin, blue tarps, lumberyard bundle wrappers, etc secured to the top of those. Tarps on piles get torn up and end up just trapping moisture.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline PRC

• Putting the K in Kustom
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 10:29:49 PM »
at first I thought you meant it was in the barn,   :).  has it been dried in some way or green?  any cover to block sun and moisture.  if green will need stacked and ventilated.  if it was air dried to 12%, maybe just wrap it back up so it is accessible.  my first thoughts.  
They're green.  Stickered most of them today.  Stickering the rest tomorrow.    
I have no idea what I'm doing, but if I keep reading and making mistakes, I just might get somewhere.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Milling own timbers vs ordering timbers from a sawmill

Started by Joe Vachon on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post July 03, 2017, 12:45:18 PM
by thechknhwk
question
Hardwood timbers vs. Softwood timbers

Started by jeremy86 on Timber Framing/Log construction

4 Replies
Last post September 23, 2016, 09:01:22 AM
by Heartwood