The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: WM BMS250 cbn sharpener stopped working  (Read 475 times)

Offline jimbarry

• Share Post
    • WoodchuckCanuck
WM BMS250 cbn sharpener stopped working
« on: November 21, 2020, 12:48:48 PM »
Saturday of course, WM Canada is not open on. the weekends. Did a bunch of blades yesterday. And I did 4 blades this morning, not an issue. Put in another, it got about half way around and stopped advancing, motor for the cbn wheel still going. So I figured the blade might of had a bend in it whereby the electronics engaged to stop the cam from advancing. Blade appeared ok. So I shut the cbn motor off. Turned it back on and no go. Set the emergency stop switch, reengaged it, press to start the cbn motor and no go, no light on the button to indicate power. Open the control panel, see a red light on some sort of block (capacitor or fuse?).  Engage the emergency stop again, red light on block goes out. Reengage the emergency button, press the start button for the cbn motor, the button doesn't light up but the red light does come on that block and I can hear a single click noise at that same time.

There's one small fuse I can see, I think it reads as 1.6A and looks like its filled with crystals of some sort. Never seen a fuse like that, if its even a fuse.

Anyone have some insight?

Link to Facebook video I uploaded there showing the problem.
Jim
WoodchuckCanuck.com ? Livin' the rural life in Nova Scotia.
Kiln - 2017 Nyle L200, 8ft x 10 ft x 20ft bldg, 3.5-4" 2lb closed cell spray foam, Demilec brand, HeatLok Soya Spray Polyurethane Foam Insulation

Online Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
Re: WM BMS250 can sharpener stopped working
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 02:51:33 PM »
That's fairly standard little electronics fuse, some are packed with some sort of "sand" to quench them and stop them exploding if they are shorted. They blow, but the exploding wire doesn't bust the glass and leave shards rattling around inside. 

Anyway you can check it with a multi-meter, or even an automotive continuity tested. It's should measure ~0 ohms across it. 

Generally fuses in modern electronics are there to cut power after something has failed already (stops things catching fire). It's unusual to find Only a blown fuse in electronic gear. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
Re: WM BMS250 can sharpener stopped working
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 03:35:07 PM »
My guess is your resettable relay has tripped.  They control each function including advance.  It is a small rectangular block in a group when you open the panel door. It will have a little lever that you can flip to reset the breaker inside the relay.  Or you can override the breaker in the relay and set the little lever to the always on mode.  It forces the relay closed and should function the advance.
Its a pretty common fault.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Offline jimbarry

• Share Post
    • WoodchuckCanuck
Re: WM BMS250 cbn sharpener stopped working
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 05:04:35 PM »
Yellowhammer, is that what these are (circled pink)?

There is a small lever on them it seems.

Jim
Kiln - 2017 Nyle L200, 8ft x 10 ft x 20ft bldg, 3.5-4" 2lb closed cell spray foam, Demilec brand, HeatLok Soya Spray Polyurethane Foam Insulation

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 06:16:16 PM »
Yes, that's them, mine did the same thing one time. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline jimbarry

• Share Post
    • WoodchuckCanuck
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 08:38:27 PM »
It's should measure ~0 ohms across it.
It does.
Yes, that's them, mine did the same thing one time.
I tried the levers, didn't make a difference.
Jim

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 09:18:05 PM »
Did you rotate them in both directions to make sure it resets? Sort of like a tripped breaker in your home. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 11:02:43 PM »
If it's the relay, did you reset the breaker?  Is this the relay on the right?  The one that I marked with a Sharpie?  The little green lever is the breaker reset, it may be tripped, its hard to see when its tripped.  With the power off, pull the lever down to the full 6 o'clock position and then return it to the full 9 o'clock position.  It should click back into the 9 o'clock position.  That will reset the breaker in the relay and things should work.  

If you suspect the actual relay is bad, then pull the lever all the way down to the 6 o'clock position and it will lock, and leave it there.  That is the breaker bypass/relay contacts closed position.  It forces the relay into operating position as if the breaker wasn't tripped.  Turn the power back on and the machine will probably operate.  If so, then cut power, and return the relay lever to the 9 o'clock position and lock it into place.  That resets the breaker, and the machine will most likely work fine.  

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Heres a description and picture of how to reset the breaker.  Youll probably have to expand the quote to see the picture. 
YellowHammerisms:

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Offline jimbarry

• Share Post
    • WoodchuckCanuck
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 07:46:11 AM »
I tried what was outlined above. 

With the power on and the green lever at 6 o'clock, the cbn wheel motor and the oil pump will come one but the cam will not. Worth a note, none of the white lights come on the front panel.

Then I turned off the power, put the green lever to 9 o'clock, turn on the power and nothing works.
Jim

Offline gmmills

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 12:03:33 PM »
     Apparently you have ruled out the relays. Sharpened many blades over the past few years on my BMS250 and never had a relay issue. There are 2 buss fuses on the circuit board. The fuse you have already removed and tested powers the high voltage circuit of the sharpener.  The issue you are having points directly to a blown fuse. This fuse is mounted on main board behind the separate removable pot board. The pot board needs to be carefully unplugged from main board to exposed the hidden fuse. This board is located just to the right of the relay, green lever, you have been trying to reset. This fuse is a 5 amp 20mm. It protects the low voltage side of sharpener circuits. This circuit only operates the power feed motor and shut off sensor.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Online terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 01:02:54 PM »
On my BMS250  once, the clip holder for that fuse F2 wasnt squeezing the fuse tightly.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 01:40:26 PM »
Its does sound like the relay isn't the problem, with the behavior you are describing, the problem is more upstream of that, because it sounds like the relay isn't being triggered, which you can check with your voltmeter.  When you put it in the override mode, it forces the contacts closed, whether there is a trigger signal or not.  So if you get a voltmeter, you can check for the presence of trigger voltage and then follow the schematic upstream to find the fault.  So you are getting voltage through the relay but not the trigger voltage.

The hidden fuse is a pain to get to, but it should be checked.  After that, if thats not it, start going upstream.

YellowHammerisms:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
WM BMS250 advancing arm stopped working this morning.

Started by jimbarry on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2020, 12:34:50 PM
by tawilson
xx
BMS250 Sharpener 220 to 110?

Started by 123maxbars on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post June 25, 2018, 04:17:49 PM
by Crusarius
xx
WM LT25 lights stopped working