The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Diamond C Gooseneck Trailer  (Read 4306 times)

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Diamond C Gooseneck Trailer
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2020, 06:16:02 PM »
What tire size did you have on those. Iím maybe looking to upgrade to the 17.5 tire & wheel. Any thoughts. The guy said the trailer will ride a little rougher empty. Good call on the traction (Chevy).
The guy said today the metal tread with 5/8 bar welded all the way up was 230 bucks more. The wood is still in the middle. I had asked if the 5/8 bars welded at the bottom and top with Blackwood in the middle outside could be gotten without. He said that was standard. I thought about doing what you said making a traction plate that could be screwed to the wood then taken off. 800 bucks more  for oak floor on 32ft vs standard treated

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2020, 07:37:52 PM »
What tire size did you have on those. 
They are 235/85R16's.  

Over the years I've tried a lot of different tires (5 sets so far), and have yet to wear any out.  The problem is that I take the trailer into tight areas, and end up jack knifing it around to maneuver it where it needs to go.  That's not a problem if it's empty, but if it's heavily loaded I'll end up with a tread separation. 

Up until 3 years ago I've had to replace tires every 2-3 years, but that changed when my local tire shop recommended Sailun tires.  Sailun's primary market is commercial truck tires for OTR trucks. 

I'm running their Load Range G S637T commercial trailer tire. So far I have had better results with them than any of the previous brands (Maxiss, Goodyear Marathon's, Farm Bureau, Cooper, and another no-name brand that came with the trailer).  The Sailun's have a load rating of 3,860 per tire when used in dual configurations.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2020, 08:48:19 PM »
17.5" rubber is better than 16". Trouble with them in most places in availability. Just about any place you go will have some sort of 16" tire on the shelf to get you back on the road in a pinch. Heck tractor supply and the like keep 16" tires on the shelf that will keep you moving on a Sunday afternoon. A 17.5" tire is often times a special order item.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2020, 09:06:20 PM »
👍 .  The 16s are a 14 ply

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2020, 10:21:51 PM »
After getting everything figured out I ordered my Diamond C trailer. The deal breaker was the 17.5 wheel and tire package. The rims only come in white. But on the 16s you could get black for a option. I said letís wait to see if they could do it. Dealer called the VP of Diamond and they said they could 😂. So I said ok letís order it. Interesting the same Gooseneck in the Super Single with 17.5 is the same GVWR as mine with tandems but the trailer is 675 bucks more

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2020, 12:35:06 PM »
I really like that beaver tail on your trailer scsmith42. As you stated being able to go higher than level has some advantages. On the Diamond C the locking mechanism for the beaver tail is not on the cylinders and itís automatic when. To control the hydraulic jacks and tail there is a valve turned one way or the other. Corded control and a wireless remote also. You can get air suspension that has a dump valve to keep one set of tandems up or down with tandems or triples 

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2020, 06:24:31 PM »
The Brute system uses a spacer bar between the top of the hyd cylinder and the top of the rod (think safety system on a backhoe that uses a u=shaped bar strapped around a cylinder rod).  

The nice thing about the Brute system is that it works even if you lose a hydraulic hose.  Don't ask me how I know this....  :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2020, 11:03:39 PM »
Had a email from the dealer. What did you decide 32? After I added more stuff I told him I might go 35í. Still trying to decide 😂. He said go 35í when we where on the phone 

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2020, 10:00:57 AM »
I would go with the 35. Seems like with a trailer you always run out of room. Every one I know that has the 17.5 tires really like them and have had very little trouble with them. I would carry a spare just in case. Have a buddy that has a triple axle 7000 pound axles that had 16 inch singles on it when the trailer was new and he had a lot of tire issues with it. He put the 17.5 tires and wheels on several years ago and his tire problems went away. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2020, 11:28:34 AM »
You guys on class D's going bigger n better are gonna run out of license to cover the load, pure and simple.  The more trailer you add the less load youll have on the deck and im not joking at all.. The tickets are just gonna be bigger when you get your first out of service for being 15k over your plate and license.  They dont play no more.  10 cops can let people slide.. But they dont matter.  Its the one who shoves it all the way in.  My lesson cost a $900 tow, month of impound, 800 mile drive to court, plea bargain, additional fine and 2700 i think in storage fee.  

Playin with fire here boys.  Dont say i didnt warn ya. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2020, 12:47:30 PM »
Over 26,001 no CDL here for anything for farm related operations 

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2020, 12:58:51 PM »
The Diamond C FMAX 212 has a GVWR 25,900 with electric/hydraulic jacks, beaver tail and extras has a weight of 8,300 so you can haul 17,600 legally. Like Mike says or youíre rolling the dice

Online stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2020, 02:57:02 PM »
The Diamond C FMAX 212 has a GVWR 25,900 with electric/hydraulic jacks, beaver tail and extras has a weight of 8,300 so you can haul 17,600 legally. Like Mike says or youíre rolling the dice
I believe the trailer limit for CDL A is 10,000# for the trailer and 26,000# for the truck/trailer combined. Farm Use exempted but any non-farm use including say moving your skid steer to the neighbors to do dirt work would not be exempt even if you grow more corn than anybody in the mid-west on your own farm.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2020, 03:12:05 PM »
Im gonna share a fact of life.  The state book can say youre exempt.  The cop says youre a contractor not a farmer, his pen hits the paper and thats the charge, too late now.   Now you're forced to submit to the whim of a district court yoy may not have ever heard of and theyll take your license without remorse.  The court doesnt embarass its troopers.  It protects them and orders you to hold them all harmless on your plea bargain.  You dont get off unless they get immunity first. 

By the NY state cdl handbook, i was exempt.  Didnt matter. Over $3k later i got my junk back.  Just how it is.  I dont mean to be a stickler here and i am a live free or die kinda guy.. but DOT really ruined me for a few years and i dont wanna see it happen to you guys or anyone else reading who are just trying to make an honest living like i was.   

Keep those fingers crossed when youre operating in the gray areas because sadly, it really is luck of the draw out there.  The manufacturer is selling stuff they call passenger that the man says is commercial.  Catch 22ish. 

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2020, 04:03:11 PM »
I believe the trailer limit for CDL A is 10,000# for the trailer and 26,000# for the truck/trailer combined. Farm Use exempted but any non-farm use including say moving your skid steer to the neighbors to do dirt work would not be exempt even if you grow more corn than anybody in the mid-west on your own farm.
You are correct 👍

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2020, 04:24:47 PM »
Trailers going to be about 3 months out but itís ordered . I got about option you could get except the air ride suspension. Thatís only 5,500 😂. Did get the 17,500 winch option in itís own enclosed lockable box with corded and remote control. Never know when you need to back up to a nice log and winch it up on the hydraulic beaver tail thatís good for 10 k 😂

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2020, 04:54:14 PM »
I roll under the farm exemption and try to stick to hauling my own farm stuff on the big GN trailer. Any hay or equipment moves are for my own operation (helps owning multiple farms spread around). Start hauling non obvious farm stuff and it's a matter of time before you get burned.

Anything out of the "local" area I just poney up and pay somebody to haul it even if I'm capable because its cheaper than a stop.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2020, 10:42:21 PM »
When i got busted the trailer was dead empty and i was headed north for a load of my own property. Driving out of class was my only charge but she still wanted ifta, irp, logbook, dot and mc #s.. medical card etc.

Even though ive got a cdl now, theres nothing to stop a trooper from looking at my load of junk and saying i dont own it and that im an undercover hauler without dot/mc numbers, ifta stickers etc.  Its a mess that gets outta hand fast.  Youre always in violation according to someone.  Very frusterating.

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2020, 09:53:15 AM »
I have had semi's for well over 40 years. I have ran commercial and farm mostly a five state area. As insurance and dot and getting drivers got tough we got out of the commercial side of things. I still have a DOT number for the farm side but don't need it now with the farm exempt from a CDL. I am down to two semi's and I never cross a state line and never get more than 100 miles from home with them. My farms are spread out about 20 miles from my home base and when I haul equipment between them I just stay on the county roads and now days when I move my dozer I pull the lowboy with my big farm tractor. If I buy a bigger piece of equipment far from home or out of state I just hire it hauled. It's not worth the chance of maybe getting a ticket from DOT that decided your not farm exempted. I just got stopped this Monday with my pickup and my dual axle ramp gate trailer twice in a 200 mile trip to pickup a new zero turn mower. The first stop was only three miles from home I pulled out of the fuel stop and DOT rolled up behind me as I was setting at the light getting on the highway he pulled me over and did a safety check. Every thing was fine lights, brakes on all axles, break away was working and safety chains all good. He kicked my lose. Later that day I got stopped over in the other state were two run together same kind of check and he looked at the paper work on the mower to make sure it was my mower for the farm as I have farm plates on my pickup's and trailer's. He kicked my lose. Years ago if I got stopped every five years I thought that was too much. Now days if I don't get stopped a least a couple of times during fall harvest I think there not doing there job. 

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2020, 05:54:57 PM »
Anybody run a Shocker air ride hitch on your gooseneck?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Gooseneck Trailer

Started by Paul_H on General Board

37 Replies
Last post June 08, 2005, 03:28:04 AM
by mometal77
xx
26' gooseneck log trailer. SOLD

Started by oakiemac on For Sale

10 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 08:21:35 PM
by oakiemac