iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alternative to chainsaw toolbelt?

Started by John Mc, November 23, 2020, 04:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

When working in the woods, I carry several related tools on my tool belt: Chainsaw multi-tool, felling wedges, axe (for driving wedges), minimal first aid kit, and sometimes lifting tongs. It's a been quite a help help, since before I started carrying things on the belt, I was always leaving them somewhere and then spending far too much time looking for them.

However, between the belt on my pants, the belt on my chaps, and the tool belt, that's a lot of belts, and it can get annoying after a long day in the woods. I'd like to change over to something vest or suspender-based.  Does anyone have suggestions on brands/models I should be considering?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Old Greenhorn

John,
I use a fallers belt that I set up. Wedge pouch with tools, first aid kit, ax scabbard, tape, and glove strap. You probably do something similar. I got the scabbard and belt from Grizzly Peak and they also make a nice set of leather braces to work with the belt and put that weight on you shoulders. Someday I will get the braces because I feel your pain. I like that ax scabbard a lot and they come in many different sizes, I have two of them for different axes. Been very happy with the whole rig. I also wear braces on my chainsaw pants, they do a better job.

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

John Mc

That's very similar to what I am using now. I'm hoping to find something that doesn't require a belt at all, or for which the belt is just something worn loosely. I see things like that for carpenters all the time. They just slip it on like wearing a vest.

Something like this, but set up for logging/chainsaw tools:
Occidental Leather Builder's Vest

I suppose my other option would be to switch from chaps to chainsaw pants, which would eliminate one of my multiple belts.

I have one of those Grizzly Peak scabbards for my axe - those are great!
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

By the way, Old Greenhorn: where did you find that belt? I think I'd like that better than what I'm using now, which is just a 2.5" wide nylon belt which I have slipped things on to. I may consider trying something like that as an improvement over what I have now.

Old Greenhorn

The scabbard AND belt are from grizzly peak and they sell a shoulder rig to go with it just as you describe. Check here and the rest of their site: https://grizzlypeakenterprises.com/p/pads-and-belts
 I really think you need the belt to keep the whole rig from shifting around too much, but the shoulder pads should carry all the weight. An alternate is to get a standard pair of stiff loggers braces and attach them to the belt, something like the ones Madsen's sell. They don't stretch much at all.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Old Greenhorn

Another thought for you: I use an old pair of clip on suspenders on my chaps when I wear those, it keeps them from getting dragged down and I don't need the belt very tight at all. You are right everything is working together to pull your pants down. That's why I put the Madsen's button braces on my chainsaw pants. I had to add the buttons myself, which is very easy.

mike_belben

Some folks might turn their nose up at it.. But a plastic 2.5 gallon diesel oil jug cut into a carryall works great for me. The hand grip will slide on an ax handle or saw bar or you can put a rope or strap handle [old seatbelt is very comfy] and carry the rope with your fuel/oil and carryall bunched together over the shoulder like a manbag.

I have my files and screnches poked through the remaining top plastic portion.  Wedges and spare chain, electrical tape and rag [redneck first aid] water bottle etc inside. Got scalers phone numbers and some length notes on the side in sharpie.

I just hate belts and junk dangling off me in general.  Cant even tolerate a clip on phone holster so everything goes in my pockets then my pants sag.
Praise The Lord

Andries

I have a construction belt with wide suspenders clipped onto it.
The belt has tool pouches that slide on and off - so one week it might be a carpentry belt, the next week, a fellers belt. 
The trick is to find the slide on pouches for the wedges, axe file and other stuff.
The suspenders are getting stretched out, a less flexy one would be better
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

g_man

Seems like a universal problem. Always seems like there must be a better way. Right now I wear clip-on suspenders on the chaps and leave the belt a little loose. On the nylon chaps belt in the back I have a cloth/canvas pouch that holds a couple wedges and a first aid kit from Labonville and I keep my quick go to wedge in my back right pocket. I use a standard old fashion carpenter hammer loop (metal) on my pants belt for the wedge driver. The pants belt seems to take the weight better and keeps some weight off the chaps. My tape is on a carabiner(sp?) on the right side on my chaps belt. Tools for the saw and chain stay in the tractor. The thing I lose a lot is the wedge driver even though I have a loop for it. 

The more ideas posted hear the better so we we can try other things.

gg

Skeans1

Get some bachelor buttons and pop them onto your wedge pouch belt then get some fallers suspenders they are different then standard ones. Well you guys are at it I'd look into a bar pad as well it's much nicer if you need to pack out with a saw on your shoulder vs swinging down in the brush.

leeroyjd

Stihl has a nice vest with pouches for wedges, Husqvarna may offer one as well. I think you'd find it works great Gransfors Bruk SwedePro Forestry Tool Vest at CSPForestry.com
 If you are in and out of a machine I think you'll find a vest is easier than a belt to be putting on and taking off.

Andries

Quote from: g_man on November 23, 2020, 07:26:14 PMThe more ideas posted hear the better so we we can try other things.
gg
Youtube has this - an interview with a logger and why he has the tool belt loaded with various items. 
The European forests are similar to the woods just East of me, so there's a lot of similar work set-ups.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUWPdYUnSB8 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

John Mc

Andries - I've seen that video. I already had a similar set-up, but he is where I found the Grizzly Peak axe scabbard. I don't use the lifting hook he has, but I do have the same tongs. He convinced me to turn the tongs around and use a "cross-draw" motion to pull them out. It's a whole lot quicker and smoother than drawing them with the hand on the same side as the holster.

Mountaynman

Try JS logging parts and supplies in st Johnsville ny a friend of mine made a run of leather belts with suspenders and many options to customize im sure they are still making them hes got a video he can send you
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

Mountain_d

You could take a look at military web gear. It is a wide belt with suspenders. You could then attach the pouches you want or make your own attachments. You can find web gear at military surplus stores / on line.  
Mountain 
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Stoneyacrefarm

John
I've been using a backpack with all my spare stuff in it. 
I load everything up on my quad and trailer and head into the woods with it. 
When I get to where I'm working I take my saw and backpack. 
Mine has files. 
An extra chain. 
First aid kit. 
Wedges
Hatchet. 
Drink bottle and usually a snack. 
Might be worth trying. 
Work hard. Be rewarded.

John Mc

I've done the backpack thing. My problem is not with finding a way to get all my gear to where I'm going. It's keeping me from misplacing it when it's actually in use. Even if I keep the backpack on all the time (which I doubt I would do), I'd have to take it off and on to get items out and put them away. I'm unlikely to do that, so I'd be back to putting my axe down. It's always with the best of intentions: "just for a minute", and "in a place where I'll be sure to find it right away if I forget to pick it up when I move on to the next tree". I was just spending way too much time going back to the last tree to find stuff I had left somewhere.

Stuff I'm not using constantly stays back on the tractor: spare chain, files, gas, oil, more fully stocked first aid kit (what is on my belt is minimal), food, etc.

Tacotodd

John, think about what Mountain said concerning the mil-spec surplus belt and suspenders. I've used them for years doing a variety of different jobs. Very customizable for whatever is needed and not very expensive at all. Magazine/ammunition pouches for wedges and imagination is your only limiting device. Of course, you'll still need to use a "real" axe scabbard.
Trying harder everyday.

Roundhouse

Interesting topic. I haven't used a belt but will throw in my 2 cents about what I do use. I will stipulate up front that I am far from a full timer only cutting enough to meet my own needs of feeding my sawmill. I don't spend a day or even a half day working from tree to tree. I do store my gear at home, haul it to the woods each trip, then either drive, walk or 4 wheeler to the site. I was tired of having to round up everything each step of the way, the saw, gas can, wedges, file, scrench, bar oil etc. Nothing on it's own all that large or heavy. I wanted to keep it all together and move it as a unit. I built a wooden box/tray that I could quickly attach my saw to with spots around it for the other items. There is a notch on one side where the bar in scabboard fits and a few spacer blocks so the saw is always in the same spot and a snug fit for bar oil, 1 gallon gas can, mixing oil,  wedges, a file, scrench. With the saw strapped to the tray I simply pick it up by the handle and everything else comes along for the ride.

This is my setup. The green bungee holds the saw to the wooden tray, the red one is holding the tray to the front rack. It doesn't accommodate a mallet or axe in any fixed way so it probably won't be a solution for most but it's worked well for my purposes in keeping everything in one place when in use, quickly transferring it from one mode of travel to the next, and all going on the shelf together when not in use.

Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

kantuckid

I'm beginning to think I need a "hocus-pocus"/"genie in a bottle" along with me in my woods kit. Had two trees to not fall where I had chosen last week. One pine barely nipped my own power line and cut off the electricity. Think of a star decoration being knocked off a Christmas tree tip-that's how little this tree bothered the line, but was just enough vibration to kick it off. Power company guy drives up into the pasture and says, "seems your powers out", which I had no idea about as nobody home, including me.  I've lived there since 1980 and never had that happen unless the line had broken completely, as in the past. 
Then Monday I dropped one that had a mind of it's own and took a weird direction 90 degs from my notch and wiped out a young poplar and a small but usable poplar.  
I pile it all in the Mule and helper drives that and I  do the tractor. When I wasn't retired i worked more in the woods summer time and froze gallon milk jugs of drinking water. Now as I've aged I never fell trees alone nor work much when sweltering either. Got to pick my parties  these days.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

reride82

I don't log full time either, but I cut firewood and enough to keep ahead of my mill. I carry a wedge, hatchet, tape, and scrench on my person, and everything else goes in this on my four wheeler.

Amazon.com: Husqvarna Combi Oil and Fuel Can 580 75 42-01: Garden & Outdoor

It has files, wedges, scrench, and a spare chain in its pouches.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Cub

I wear the Oregon vest. I can carry about 4 wedges. Scrench. D loop for the spencer tape and a few bigger zippered pockets for extra chains or small wedges. It's nice having all that weight spread across you shoulders. Used to have a wedge pouch on a belt. Always dragging that side of my pants down. 

gman98

When I was hand cutting I found the chainsaw pants were the way to go. It'll cut you down to one belt.  And you will find the pants to be much less restrictive then wearing chaps.  Labonville sells winter and summer pants with pads you can switch between the two.  Wear a pair of suspenders and it makes them even more comfortable.  I but saw wrench sheaths from forester shop. They go right on your belt.  I'd carry my wedges in the back pocket.  Tie your oil and gas jugs together with a rope.  Carry your axe over your shoulder and put the gas and oil jugs and over your shoulder on the axe handle.  That's what always worked for me.
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

DeerMeadowFarm

I've tried belts but as others mentioned, getting on and off a machine is a pain. I have been using the Oregon vest lately. It's pretty handy but you still need to carry your ax/wedge hammer by hand. Basically, I had my tractor set up to carry everything I needed so the vest with the wedges and Spencer tape is sufficient for most things. Usually I just use another wedge to tap one in when I need it. If I really need to move a tree with wedges I go back to the tractor and get the ax. I plan on having my skidder set up similarly as well.

John Mc

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on January 13, 2021, 02:33:56 PM
I've tried belts but as others mentioned, getting on and off a machine is a pain. I have been using the Oregon vest lately. It's pretty handy but you still need to carry your ax/wedge hammer by hand. Basically, I had my tractor set up to carry everything I needed so the vest with the wedges and Spencer tape is sufficient for most things. Usually I just use another wedge to tap one in when I need it. If I really need to move a tree with wedges I go back to the tractor and get the ax. I plan on having my skidder set up similarly as well.
It sounds as though that is working for you for everything except your ax. If you need to use one much, check out the Grizzly Peak axe scabbards. I wear mine on my tool belt, but I have put it on the belt of my chaps in the past. I set it up so that the axe rides about in the middle of my back, with the handle sticking up.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: John Mc on January 13, 2021, 08:36:53 PMIf you need to use one much, check out the Grizzly Peak axe scabbards.

Yes I have one of those on the belt I used to wear. Another member reminded me of another trick which I have often used to save a run back to the tractor. I'll sometimes cut a sturdy limb from a top that I use to drive in the wedges if I can't tap them in with another wedge or if I've used all the wedges in my vest. Most of the time I'm just using a wedge to help with side lean. I usually do my face cut, bore cut to set my hinge, then start running the saw towards the back of the tree from the side that may have side lean. Once I get far back enough, I'll set a wedge on that side and go over to the "safe" side to finish working back. Sometimes I'll set a wedge on that side as well. Then I'll either run the saw out the back or pull it out and cut the "trigger" from the back. If I really need to move a tree opposite of where it wants to go, I usually put some tension on it with my tractor winch and that's where I may want an ax to really pound wedges.

Skeans1

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on January 14, 2021, 07:37:13 AM
Quote from: John Mc on January 13, 2021, 08:36:53 PMIf you need to use one much, check out the Grizzly Peak axe scabbards.

Yes I have one of those on the belt I used to wear. Another member reminded me of another trick which I have often used to save a run back to the tractor. I'll sometimes cut a sturdy limb from a top that I use to drive in the wedges if I can't tap them in with another wedge or if I've used all the wedges in my vest. Most of the time I'm just using a wedge to help with side lean. I usually do my face cut, bore cut to set my hinge, then start running the saw towards the back of the tree from the side that may have side lean. Once I get far back enough, I'll set a wedge on that side and go over to the "safe" side to finish working back. Sometimes I'll set a wedge on that side as well. Then I'll either run the saw out the back or pull it out and cut the "trigger" from the back. If I really need to move a tree opposite of where it wants to go, I usually put some tension on it with my tractor winch and that's where I may want an ax to really pound wedges.
If a tree needs wedging why bore cut? Why not start your back cut on the low side then walk around well cutting that way you can see if you actually need a wedge and how the tree is responding to the wedges.

Rhodemont

This is a good thread.  I am always setting down then looking for my ax, wedges, tape, and pulling up my pants.  An ax scabbard and wedge pouch sound like a very good place to start.  
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Cruiser_79

At my dealer I often see the pouches for on top of your combination fuel tanks. You have to haul around your fuel anyway, so files, spare chains and other tools you won't need on your belt. Saves a lot of weight and space I think. 

Unfortunately I'm not a full time logger, and most of the times I can park my pickup quite close to the job site. But I have the bad habbit to spread tools around and lose them or let a tree fall on it, so I have a belt for just my wedges. 
For my landsurveying job I have a big shoulder bag with all kind of tools ands stakes in it, I always try to put everything back in it for every point I have to stake. If I don't, I surely come back to my car with half the gear I started with  :D 
Maybe it's an idea to take a big shoulder bag with you, I often don't hang it on my shoulder but simply drag it around

pwrwagontom

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in here.  Been pondering the same question as OP, and read this thread while making my decisions.  After some experimenting, I got a faller's belt/axe scabbard/wedge holder from Grizzly Peak.  Been extremely satisfied with the set up.

I've got a wranglerstar-style scrench and spencer tape on the belt, and it's a little heavy but I have been cinching it down over my chaps with no issue.

I don't log full time, I cut for my sawmill- sometimes a lot, sometimes not a lot.

Grizzly Peak gear is worth everyone checking out.
Never give an inch

Walnut Beast

Anybody run the Weaver chainsaw tool belt ? Does the axe stay in the back pocket pretty good? Likes and dislike?

Stephen Alford

For the most part the tractor has become a toolbelt of sorts.  When I do wear a belt the suspenders make a huge difference. I did rivet some padding on the shoulders and an extra cross piece just below my neck line. The only pita is the clasps will catch on brush and limbs and release . That is an easy fix by making the suspenders permanent but then you cant take stuff off the belt.  Putting a ring on the scrench allows for a small carabeaner which is great to keep it attached to something. When I lose a leather choppers mitt the other one becomes a pooch   :D

logon

Log-it-up

I just looked up the weaver tool belt and I would strongly suggest checking out Grizzley Peak enterprises,I bought the wedge and ax pouch and attached them to a carpenters belt with suspenders very good products 
I would recommend going bigger than what you might think with the ax pouch it's good to be a little loose 
The only problem I had with mine was self induced I tripped and fell backwards on the ax scabbard and bent it took some hammering and a couple small pry bar to straighten it back out but was able to do it on the tailgate of the pickup

Old Greenhorn

I just checked out the belt you are asking about. No I have not tried it out, too pricey for me. For that kind of money I would have to wear one first. My thought is that the wide belt is nice for spreading out the weight and they have rigid braces which should work well. I have found a good pair of rigid suspenders is the key with these belts, but yeah, they can slip around a bit and that is distracting.
 None the less I am happy with my rig and it came in a lot cheaper than the weaver. See replies 1, 4 and 11 above for the grizzly line of products. I use their belt and axe sheath. The sheath holds the axe just fine whether it's a rafting handle or a shorty and the only time I have flopped it out is when I found myself on the side of a hill with my boot soles looking at the sky. But then I dropped more than the axe on that one. ;D It can be a little noisy and some guys line the scabbard with a cloth held in with contact cement. I just never took the time. The clanking lets me know the axe is still there.
 The Weaver looks like a nice rig, but that price won't float for me becasue I am no in that belt 9 hours a day, 6 days a week. I use mine 'off and on' as needed when I wander from the trail. Most of my cutting I have a wedge pouch that just had a slip clip on the belt and holds wedges, scrench, and files. I carry the saw in one hand and axe in the other if needed. I am not far from the buggy most times.
 If you get that belt, please let us know how it works for you.

Walnut Beast

Thanks guys! I'm not really a tool belt guy but I was thinking it might be handy for getting on the other side of the creek and in some harder areas to get at. I've got a box of tool belts and one with a harness I'll dig out and see if I could make that work. But maybe run bare and carry a 5 g bucket or various tool box I have with the gear in it. On one hand it's nice not to have anything on and on the other hand stuff at your fingertips would be nice

Old Greenhorn

Well WB, I can say that around here, carrying stuff in a bucket is a non-starter because nothing is flat here and you usually need at least one hand free to get you around and up and down 'stuff'. Sometimes I have to 'throw' my saw up ahead and catch it in a tree to hold it, while I use two hands to pull myself up, then pickup the saw and do it again. So belts are mighty handy for that carrying stuff.
 But if you have ground where a bucket works, well, what the heck? Do that. I just found that nice simple Grizzly belt was a good starting point and I added and refined for my needs as I went. My photo in reply #1 does not show the heavy, no stretch clip-on suspenders I have on them now, but that helped a lot because I have no butt or hips to hold stuff up.

Ed

Klein makes leather suspenders with hardware to attach to your belt. Their leather belts are also first class.

Ed

Skeans1

I use a military style belt it's not super wide but wide enough for the weight at hand. 

lots of adjustment quick on and off plus it's easy to add rings to for different things.

Nealm66

Yellow fir! Nice. What jack is that? Does Silvey still make the little tree saver?

Skeans1

@Nealm66 
Those are borntrager jacks, Silvey closed up shop almost 10 years ago now. I've had a set of tree savers and prefer these they're easier to use and not as fussy.

Nealm66

The last time I ever used a jack was with the tree saver and that was around 91. I liked it because it was light and the only option the guy we worked for had was the 60 ton silveys and I hated those things

Skeans1

Quote from: Nealm66 on February 03, 2023, 10:14:34 PM
The last time I ever used a jack was with the tree saver and that was around 91. I liked it because it was light and the only option the guy we worked for had was the 60 ton silveys and I hated those things
The tree savers I had were the 120 ton ones they were in the lower serial number range and heavy. These Borntrager was larger then the little fellers were with better capacity.

Nealm66

Ya, I could have the name wrong, that's just what we called it. It was just a Small single jack and handle. Worked good in smaller trees. Last job I used one was on the Christian camp road out of Ashford Washington. Trees weren't big but were about 4 40's tall and steep ground. Some didn't say on the hillside and Jill poked all the way through the lower road

Walnut Beast

The tree jacking is interesting. Are these the type you guys used. I seen some videos where the guy grabbed the jack and took off when it was going over is everybody doing the same thing? <There not cheap at 2,500 bucksbr>

Skeans1

@Walnut Beast 
That's the full self contained setup they work good, what I have is completely different. The jacks were talking about are a back pack setup where it's a pump with two rams. Each of these two rams of this setup will lift 51 tons and can run up to 6 rams at once. The biggest advantage to the backpack ones is yes what they'll lift but also it gets you away from the action and hopefully out of harms way.

Skeans1

barbender

I see you have the Euro Husky gas/oil can👍
Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

Nice picture and thanks for explaining!

Nealm66

It's strange to see some decent wood on such flat ground. Reminds me of the coast but the ground doesn't look all broke up like the coast and it's not raining 

Skeans1

Quote from: barbender on February 04, 2023, 12:11:13 AM
I see you have the Euro Husky gas/oil can👍
Had one pretty sure it grew legs and walked off, I've tried the Stihl can I didn't care for it. If I had to use one of those can again all the time I'd get another husky can just for the storage that they have on the side for chains.

Skeans1

@Nealm66 
A lot of the nicest wood I've seen has been on decent ground that isn't broken up. The biggest factor is if it's private or company ground if it's company ground it's been cut at least twice sometimes 3 times already.

Nealm66

Around here a guy can be steady just running around picking up oversized behind machines but your wedge pouch would look similar to yours and a jack wouldn't be a bad idea. No thanks = too old

Thank You Sponsors!