iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Shed Pole Building

Started by TimW, November 23, 2020, 10:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

i found articles of the Romans use of water for slope and level.  Most had lots of info that are not directly helpful.  If I were putting up a pole barn/shop, I would set my 4 corners plumb and square to each other, then cutting the notches for the plate using a water level, then setting the remaining posts plumb, and using string to get the bottom in line, and cutting notches in line with the ends.  Lots of them go up around here.  they even use tele poles and cut out for purlins, so the wall and roof are flat.  I have not done much of this, but more stick frame style of construction.  I am sure there are others that can give you a direct process.  Half the fun is figuring out how you want to do it, and I am certain you are very capable.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on May 30, 2022, 10:46:59 AMi found articles of the Romans use of water for slope and level.  Most had lots of info that are not directly helpful.  If I were putting up a pole barn/shop, I would set my 4 corners plumb and square to each other, then cutting the notches for the plate using a water level, then setting the remaining posts plumb, and using string to get the bottom in line, and cutting notches in line with the ends.  Lots of them go up around here.  they even use tele poles and cut out for purlins, so the wall and roof are flat.  I have not done much of this, but more stick frame style of construction.  I am sure there are others that can give you a direct process.  Half the fun is figuring out how you want to do it, and I am certain you are very capable.
Doc,
My barn I built is a pole building. Yes, those are RED rubber boots, I'm wearing in the last photo.

Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

barbender

Those are great boots😁😊
Too many irons in the fire

TimW

Howard is gonna be so mad at you.

Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

barbender

Now I might've just stepped into something I don't understand- wouldn't be the first time😁 
Too many irons in the fire

TimW

Don't worry.  I don't think Howard understands either.

scsmith42

Is Howard the German Shepherd looking dog in the second pic? He looks like a tripod...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Even when I mind my own business I get dragged into these issues/disputes. There just ain't no justice in this world!
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Well now you have a little idea how I feel when I become the subject of a jocular fabrication. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

KenMac

OG you need to use much smaller and more understandable words if you want us rednecks down south to follow your posts. Just sayin'.......
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on June 06, 2022, 07:53:45 PM
Well now you have a little idea how I feel when I become the subject of a jocular fabrication. :D
Ooops! I guess I did not make the correction soon enough. Busted (again) ::)

Maybe we can start up an "Abused members club?"

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 06, 2022, 07:47:10 PMEven when I mind my own business I get dragged into these issues/disputes. There just ain't no justice in this world!
Well, you do have that reputation!  Welcome to the party.

TimW

Quote from: scsmith42 on June 05, 2022, 11:48:57 AMIs Howard the German Shepherd looking dog in the second pic? He looks like a tripod...
I don't give my critters human names.  It would get too confusing.  That there dog in the photo is or was Booger.  My reliable tractor dog.  No matter if I was moving dirt or tinkering on the tractor, Booger was nearby.  If I was moving dirt, he was usually found laying in the way.  He was no tripod, just looks like it in the photo.  I did have a 3 legged White German Shepard years ago.  She had no idea she was suppose to have 4 legs.
Booger had Chow and Husky parents.  He was here for 15 wonderful years.

TimW

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 06, 2022, 09:16:08 PM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on June 06, 2022, 07:53:45 PMWell now you have a little idea how I feel when I become the subject of a jocular fabrication. :D
Ooops! I guess I did not make the correction soon enough. Busted (again) ::)

Maybe we can start up an "Abused members club?"
Please go ahead and start one.  I am sure you would be in it the most.

TimW

Don,
I scored (traded 4x4 cribbing) a 4"x8" I beam that is 3/16" thick from my local welding shop.  Can I use it instead of the 6x16 inch door header? If so, I would weld a1/4" x 6" wide strap to it to support the 2 full size 2x12 top sills.  If not, I can use it elsewhere as an awning or side shed support, as it is 30 feet long..

Don P

I don't know what it is supporting.
That describes a W8x10... wide flange beam 8" deep x 10 lbs per foot. It is the lightest 8" I beam.
Lemme find a safe load table. Assuming it is old school A36 steel, standard stuff.
Spans are down the left column, deflections are on the right edge. Safe uniform loads for a W8x10 are the right hand column of the main body, the loads are in 1,000's of lbs total load (kip=1,000 lbs).

Looks like 7700 lbs with  about 13/16" sag IF it has lateral bracing, in other words braced up to the roof plane so it doesn't pop out forward or back under that load.

The toolbox calc is here;
Sizing a Steel Beam (forestryforum.com)
Looks like I'm a little more conservative than that table, which is not a bad thing.

Off to a Fall forestry tour up between the tunnels in the deep coves, I'll check on you tonite.

TimW

The flanges on the I beam have been cut down to 4 inches.  You can see an little waviness on the edge.  If I use it, it will go under the full size 2x12s top plates described in post 1, as a door header.  We already decided the 6x16 SYP would work as a header.
If used, it would be secured every foot staggered side to side into the top plates 2x12s, so no bowing outward.  But I am leaning to the 6x16 beams as the header.
    It would be spaning 18.5 feet.

TimW

I got some free time to trim down the 7x7 posts (cut two years ago) down to 5&5/8 inch to fit into the 6x6 plastic sleeves.

Seems I had a hole in the tin covering the posts and 4 posts were too rotten to use.  More firewood for the burn pile!

TimW

So I was short 4 posts for the end wall and (20 foot setback) inside wall.  I have lots of big ERC, so I cut them to make posts and fit into the plastic sleeves.  So I will have ERC posts in the plastic sleeves set in concrete.  I will be drilling a 3/8" hole in each post bottom and driving in rebar, and sealing the rebar, for uplift.

Friday, I was able to treat the SYP posts with
Copper Naphthenate 8% (68% by Volume) Concentrate diluted one to three gallons of diesel.  I only treated 5' 9" because the plastic sleeve is 5'6".

TimW

Out of all those trimmed down posts, only two were bowed too much to use for posts.  I did cut them in half and will make 1 spliced and bolted post for an end or inside wall post, along with the ERC posts.

TimW

I also bit the bullet and bought a battery chain saw.  Here is the finished beam mod on the saw. For cutting the post tenon for the 2x12 top sills.  Aluminum angles bolted to the bar and aluminum plates riveted to the angles.

TimW

The plates may be a little large.  I may have to cut the aluminum plates shorter. 
I have some left over 6x6 pieces I will screw to a floor plate and practice on them cutting the notches. 

Thank You Sponsors!