iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Off grid building

Started by allandensmore, December 20, 2020, 03:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allandensmore

Seeking advice.  I have been building for years off grid, but could still get truck to property.
Next year looking for full off grid build.  Purchased Solar inflatable jet boat to get me up river.  I like the logosol F2+ for taking up to use for build, but am not stuck on that one product.  I am looking for suggestions from those who have experience in some way with what I'm going to do.
Love portability of sawmill.  But I believe I may also need something else to cut large logs where I drop them vs trying to get them too the sawmill at camp.
If anyone has experience with building completely off grid using portable sawmill, Alaskan sawmill, other, please provide insight.
I have done Northern Canada, Alaska, Maine but again, I could get lumber directly from mill and drive truck to my location.  Not this time.  Dream has been to do something for myself, this time build is for me.
Structure would be roughly 20x30 or larger, but am not sure if past builds are applicable due to in ability to just purchase the lumber in need.
Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Allan

allandensmore

Additional note.  I will have a generator soa small portable band saw or logosol band saw is option.  Just trying to provide as much info as I can to help with responses.
Thanks

Woodpecker52

Appears you are limited by what you can haul up river by  the inflatable solar powered jet boat? I would think just a chainsaw type mill.  Or you could haul the logs/lumber
 behind the boat.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Crossroads

Sounds like a fun project, I'm off grid, but like you mentioned able to drive to the building site. I moved onto my property in late august and time didn't allow me to mill the wood for the build. My intention is to mill everything for the actual house/cabin though. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Don P

I'd think the wood is the easy part, it's getting everything else to the site that is the problem.

SawyerTed

By the time you get a sufficient chainsaw and chainsaw mill you would have spent a substantial portion of the purchase price of an entry level band mill.  For example the Woodmizer LX25 is $3,295 with 9hp gas engine.  The machine weight is 576 pounds and could be moved in two or three trips on the boat.  It will mill a 26" log 12 feet long and extensions can be added.  Norwood, Woodland Mills and Timbery are three brands (there are others) that offer a similar band mill in the 600 pound weight range and in the same price rage of $2,800 to $3,400.  With the lower weight of these mills, they could be pulled by an ATV on a small axle assembly/trailer.  Or using a log arch fairly large logs can be moved to the mill with an ATV.

I'm not familiar with brands but swing mills might be an option as well. They are light weight and can be disassembled for transport.  The advantage they have is being able to set up where the log is rather than transporting logs to the mill.  Prices might be higher than the entry level band mills.  They appear to work well on medium to large logs but smaller logs not so much.  I am no expert on swing mills.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

woodyone.john

Don't know what fits in your boat but check out turbo Mill. Cuts framing timbers light weight and portable.
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Nebraska

Hudson makes a really small mill with a simple angle iron frame. I think its design is a good choice for a remote milling site, it could be packed in, stages.. Your length could be as long as you like and it looks light enough one could float it in your jet boat. They aren't a forum sponsor, like EZ Boardwalk  but you would need a separate  barge to tow along, to move one their mills.

mike_belben

I would not try to make framing lumber on an alaskan mill.  If you have a big saw and some basic fab skill you can make a portable track frame for the saw to cut lumber where the tree lands.  Mine is make from street sign and i can carry it alone.  

A bandmill is dramatically faster though. 
Praise The Lord

alan gage

If we knew (roughly) where you you building it might help with ideas.

For example what species of trees are available and what's the diameter?

If you have winter in that location what about hauling lumber over the ice during winter?

What's the construction method? Are you looking to cut large posts or small dimension framing lumber?

Are you doing this all by yourself or will there be other manpower available?

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

allandensmore

Quote from: SawyerTed on December 20, 2020, 08:03:44 PM
By the time you get a sufficient chainsaw and chainsaw mill you would have spent a substantial portion of the purchase price of an entry level band mill.  For example the Woodmizer LX25 is $3,295 with 9hp gas engine.  The machine weight is 576 pounds and could be moved in two or three trips on the boat.  It will mill a 26" log 12 feet long and extensions can be added.  Norwood, Woodland Mills and Timbery are three brands (there are others) that offer a similar band mill in the 600 pound weight range and in the same price rage of $2,800 to $3,400.  With the lower weight of these mills, they could be pulled by an ATV on a small axle assembly/trailer.  Or using a log arch fairly large logs can be moved to the mill with an ATV.

I'm not familiar with brands but swing mills might be an option as well. They are light weight and can be disassembled for transport.  The advantage they have is being able to set up where the log is rather than transporting logs to the mill.  Prices might be higher than the entry level band mills.  They appear to work well on medium to large logs but smaller logs not so much.  I am no expert on swing mills.

That was great info.  Jet boat can haul about 1,000 lbs. Will research your suggestions.  
thanks 

allandensmore

Quote from: Woodpecker52 on December 20, 2020, 05:39:18 PM
Appears you are limited by what you can haul up river by  the inflatable solar powered jet boat? I would think just a chainsaw type mill.  Or you could haul the logs/lumber
behind the boat.
Can haul about 1,000 lbs.  Weight of green lumber is way to much.  Too many trips.  Thinking of logosol because I can use chainsaw, or add the electric band saw to same platform.  Figured I would ask for advice from the group.
Thanks

allandensmore

Quote from: woodyone.john on December 21, 2020, 03:14:28 AM
Don't know what fits in your boat but check out turbo Mill. Cuts framing timbers light weight and portable.
That was great, never heard of such a thing. I will research.  Again thanks.

terrifictimbersllc

Peterson or Lucas swing mills could be broken down sufficiently to be transported by your boat. My 10" Peterson WPF was about 700 pounds for the saw frame (this could be broken down further where the heaviest portion was the engine, it came that way from NZ), and besides this the rails, 4 of them , were about 65 pounds each. 

As to milling small logs, not sure what your sizes are, but anything the logosol or other chainsaw mill could do, these would do just as well and easily. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

allandensmore

Quote from: alan gage on December 21, 2020, 09:34:11 PM
If we knew (roughly) where you you building it might help with ideas.

For example what species of trees are available and what's the diameter?

If you have winter in that location what about hauling lumber over the ice during winter?

What's the construction method? Are you looking to cut large posts or small dimension framing lumber?

Are you doing this all by yourself or will there be other manpower available?

Alan
Great question Alan.
Build for me, Alaska most likely.
Wood, whatever is there, don't know yet.
Yes many people haul in winter in Northern Canada.  Due to logistics, not sure if that is an option, but I have considered it.
Most builds I do are with a hired local helper, so normally my self, or + 1.  Seems I can always count on me being there but not someone else.  Really want another helper when I do next build.
Good help or just help is difficult to find when your up north.
In northern Canada yrs ago it was min $25 cash an hr just for job Corp, no exp, no desire to work person.  Normally last a day or so.  Many places in N people get $50-$100 hr for working.  So to really get help you need to bring from lower 48.  Provide food, lodging, wages, and pay for transportation too and from.
It's not the same in the bush.

allandensmore

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on December 23, 2020, 07:26:47 AM
Peterson or Lucas swing mills could be broken down sufficiently to be transported by your boat. My 10" Peterson WPF was about 700 pounds for the saw frame (this could be broken down further where the heaviest portion was the engine, it came that way from NZ), and besides this the rails, 4 of them , were about 65 pounds each.

As to milling small logs, not sure what your sizes are, but anything the logosol or other chainsaw mill could do, these would do just as well and easily.
Will look into swing mills.
That is the value of forums, you get advice about products or issues you may not of heard of or even thought of.
Thanks

allandensmore

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on December 23, 2020, 07:26:47 AM

Love the swing blade.  Also like blade vs band.  Doing research.

allandensmore

Quote from: Crossroads on December 20, 2020, 06:56:26 PM
Sounds like a fun project, I'm off grid, but like you mentioned able to drive to the building site. I moved onto my property in late august and time didn't allow me to mill the wood for the build. My intention is to mill everything for the actual house/cabin though.
Buying from mill has always been easy and cheap when you can drive to site.  My purpose for the mill is 1 or two trips for mill, or, many, many trips with heavy lumber.  Using wood on land will more than offset lumber and transportation costs.

mike_belben

If your talking about small diameter pine i would seriously consider just making a carriage to run a chainsaw down an aluminum ladder.  Two holes drilled through the bar works fine for me.  This is cheap light and simple.  And you could probably double your money selling it up there after. Or working it at your neighbors camp.

Pull two bolts and its your felling saw.  Does not get tied up. 
Praise The Lord

allandensmore

Quote from: mike_belben on December 23, 2020, 08:41:22 AM
If your talking about small diameter pine i would seriously consider just making a carriage to run a chainsaw down an aluminum ladder.  Two holes drilled through the bar works fine for me.  This is cheap light and simple.  And you could probably double your money selling it up there after. Or working it at your neighbors camp.

Pull two bolts and its your felling saw.  Does not get tied up.
One of the sawmills I was looking at does reference you using a ladder for support.
As I see it so far.
Purchase bandsaw that supports log omg the ground when cutting.  Must come in sections due to weight.  Then granberg portable mill to take to fallen logs.  Cut fallen down to size, transport to mill.  Use woodland mill with legs to allow it to be towed with small at.
Or logosol 2 not 2+ with Stihl Ms 880, and again granberg portable.
Both options will be $4,000 to $5,000.  But can use for multiple builds.  Small cost considering lumber cost in northern woods.  Substituting time and effort ( manually cutting) vs spending money on pre cut lumber, then multiple trips back and forth by boat.

Don P

One thing with a band is frequent sharpening/setting/ replacing. A chainsaw probably has the most available saw "blades". A circle blade on a swing mill has few teeth, they can absorb more damage than a band and keep going and are quick to sharpen. You would probably want to have several on hand and the retipping jig. We did a minor modification and can quickly spin the powerhead on a Lacas 6-18 and make 12" wide lumber.

What are you building? Log, timber or stick frame?

mike_belben

I hate alaskan milling... Really hate it.  Compared to a chainsaw on a carriage that rides on a basic track.  For making 4 sided lumber you really cannot overvalue having adjustable height backstops square to the bed, and log clamps.  My chainsaw cutter is stupid slow compared to a bandmill but it will make 5x as much 2 by lumber as an alaskan for the same amount of back pain.   I would only make big tables or long beams with an alaskan.  Just my opinion.  I like to work but not that hard.
Praise The Lord

richhiway

I built a 10x16 building with a Logosol at my camp.It is nice to take the mill to the logs. They are easy to move by one man

and almost bullet proof. I found by using 2 saws, one to break the log to a cant and the other to saw the boards, you spend less time sharping or changing chains. Look up my posts and you will find a lot of info. They cut very accurate lumber. Not as fast as a bandsaw but you would be surprised what two guys could cut on one in a day. 

You can also put the Logosol on a big log,rather then putting the log on the mill. 
This would come in handy in the bush
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

The only part not cut with the Logosol is the plywood flooring.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

mike_belben

the norwood pm14 looks like a pretty simple rig to build or affordable to buy, easy transport etc.  

Heres a pretty good thread on primitive sawing

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=104076.0
Praise The Lord

richhiway

BTW. You do not need huge saws and bars to cut lumber with a logosol mill. I used a 046 magnum with a 18 inch bar. that was used to do the majority of my sawing. You also use the same saws for your other saw work. I did buy a new 661, they are 70cc and 90cc class saws. Was not a lot of difference. The widest cut I would make on lumber was a 12 inch board. Cutting soft wood lumber for a cabin and cutting huge hardwood slabs are totally different operations. I had also purchased the Logosol used. I sold it two years later for what I had paid for it. I sold the 046 and got my money back also. I kept the 661.You really can not count the cost of the saws towards the mill. If you have a bandsaw and plan to harvest your own trees you need the saws anyway.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

allandensmore

Quote from: richhiway on December 24, 2020, 03:19:18 PM
I built a 10x16 building with a Logosol at my camp.It is nice to take the mill to the logs. They are easy to move by one man

and almost bullet proof. I found by using 2 saws, one to break the log to a cant and the other to saw the boards, you spend less time sharping or changing chains. Look up my posts and you will find a lot of info. They cut very accurate lumber. Not as fast as a bandsaw but you would be surprised what two guys could cut on one in a day.

You can also put the Logosol on a big log,rather then putting the log on the mill.
This would come in handy in the bush
I will look at your posts, thanks.

allandensmore

Quote from: Don P on December 23, 2020, 05:47:36 PM
One thing with a band is frequent sharpening/setting/ replacing. A chainsaw probably has the most available saw "blades". A circle blade on a swing mill has few teeth, they can absorb more damage than a band and keep going and are quick to sharpen. You would probably want to have several on hand and the retipping jig. We did a minor modification and can quickly spin the powerhead on a Lacas 6-18 and make 12" wide lumber.

What are you building? Log, timber or stick frame?
Really do not want to do log due to weight.  But with log, no additional insulation is needed.
Timber (post and beam?), May, stick?
Once I see what I have available I will know.
Thinking of cutting logs so I can stack, like log home but cut down to liftable sizes.  Will treat before putting up.
Or post and beam with board &batten walls.
I do not for the life of me know how years ago individuals built such big log homes.  To me in the bush, by yourself, multiple smaller buildings would be much more feasible it seams.
one guy can only do so much.

Joe Hillmann

Check out Advoko Makes on YouTube.  It is a Russian channel dubbed into English.  He has at least one video where he shows how he freehand cut all of his planks with a chainsaw.

He is also building a cabin where everything comes in by boat or snowmobile.  He appears to be a bit of a perfectionist so yo should be able to cut some decent lumber with his method.

He says it is faster than using a chainsawlill attachment and can be done with a less powerful saw as well.

I own a mill and I have used a similar method to mill logs when I couldn't get a log to or onto the mill.  With some practice it could be a reasonable way to mill logs.  The main "trick" to the technique is to only use the very tip of the chain and lots of passes to mill the logs.

Don P

One method of doing log in manageable sizes is the way the Hudson Bay Company built their buildings. Vertical timber posts are spaced along the wall, generally at door and window sides but they can be spaced along a blank wall section as well. Shorter end tenoned infill logs fill the spaces between. Depending on size one or two men can then handle the pieces. This method is also called "piece-sur-piece" and red river log, or post and beam log. There is a good book on it "The Craft of Modular Post and Beam" James Mitchell.

Don't forget the simple machines, I've rigged and lifted/moved pretty good sized stuff with very simple stuff. Not fast but it works fine.

allandensmore

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on January 05, 2021, 01:23:11 PM
Check out Advoko Makes on YouTube.  It is a Russian channel dubbed into English.  He has at least one video where he shows how he freehand cut all of his planks with a chainsaw.

He is also building a cabin where everything comes in by boat or snowmobile.  He appears to be a bit of a perfectionist so yo should be able to cut some decent lumber with his method.

He says it is faster than using a chainsawlill attachment and can be done with a less powerful saw as well.

I own a mill and I have used a similar method to mill logs when I couldn't get a log to or onto the mill.  With some practice it could be a reasonable way to mill logs.  The main "trick" to the technique is to only use the very tip of the chain and lots of passes to mill the logs.

allandensmore

Quote from: Don P on January 05, 2021, 05:59:57 PM
One method of doing log in manageable sizes is the way the Hudson Bay Company built their buildings. Vertical timber posts are spaced along the wall, generally at door and window sides but they can be spaced along a blank wall section as well. Shorter end tenoned infill logs fill the spaces between. Depending on size one or two men can then handle the pieces. This method is also called "piece-sur-piece" and red river log, or post and beam log. There is a good book on it "The Craft of Modular Post and Beam" James Mitchell.

Don't forget the simple machines, I've rigged and lifted/moved pretty good sized stuff with very simple stuff. Not fast but it works fine.
Thanks for the heads up Don.  I just purchased the book.  I also watched a number of videos just the other day on doing a log cabin in segments ends were called Corner post and notch, but the middle section is what really got me going.  Allows you to build a cabin in shorter lengths to reduce the weight, it was outstanding.  I have been to a week long class on the butt & pass system and have done a lot of research.  I believe for speed and ease for the beginner it is the best system.  However nobody addresses the weight of the logs.  Using the corner or in this case the mid post system which i believe is similar to what the book talks about, it changes the rules on cabin building without having all the equipment.
Thanks
Allan

allandensmore

Its official, the offer on the property went through and im doing an Alaska way off grid river build this summer.  As I was telling Don, if you have not watched the videos on Corner post, and using that strategy for the middle or to build the log home in segments you are missing the boat.  While it may take longer, now a single person or a two person team can build where they could not build before.

Nebraska

Congratulations.... post lots of pictures of your build if your are willing it will be fun to watch. 

farmfromkansas

I had an old building on my place that was maybe the first building in the county in about 1860.  Had a timber frame built of 4x4's, with B&B siding, and 2x6 floor joists @ 24" oc. Building was 16' wide and about 32' long. Someone had moved another building and pushed up against the side, and made a house of the thing, then in the 50's had added electricity and plumbing, and cut sections out of the 4x4's, and then the frame started bending, roof sagged and bowed out, by the time I got it about ready to fall down. Timber frame does not stand well when guys cut the main frame to get wires and pipe through.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!