iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pavilion in FL

Started by MishaZ, December 22, 2020, 06:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MishaZ

Thank you!!!  I love the idea of the steel braces in corners to create a saddle for the Hip Rafters and to reinforce the corner joinery.

In your opinion, am I good with keeping Common Rafters 2x6?

Have you seen websites where one can find steel brackets for timber construction application?  Would like to avoid custom fabrication if I can.  I have also seen in public parks gazebos in the hip roofs some neat brackets at the top of the Hip roof in the hexagon shape, to mechanically hold the rafters.  I have not been able to find one on-line.

Don P

I do not know where you would find it stock. For ag, exempt, or if the inspector is ok with it, I weld things like that. If it is critical or a tough inspector Simpson can make and provide paperwork for just about anything along those lines but it ain't cheap. Another "correct" path in the field is to have it designed by an engineer and take those drawings to a welding shop to be fabricated.

Reminder, if this is not exempt, your permit has expired. Here by size it would be an exempt(from inspections) accessory structure (but permitted so the tax man knows where to visit), each state varies on that.

#2 hem-fir is roughly the same bending strength as baldcypress, 11'7" max span at 2' on center @20psf LL. #3 is still over 8' at 500 psi strength (about white pine strength if that means anything)
Table 802.4.1(1)
CHAPTER 8 ROOF-CEILING CONSTRUCTION, 2018 Virginia Residential Code | ICC Digital Codes (iccsafe.org)
Uhh that was a yes, beef the hip and you're good to go.

numbers that might help, although from your notes, I think you have it in hand.
Rafter angle 22.61°
Hip angle 16.42°
Hip backing angle 15.78°
Hip seat cut 73.58°

MishaZ

Any recommendations on Structural Engineer who can help with a project like this?  Preferably licensed in FL?  I'm a licensed professional engineer myself (Architectural Engineering).  Although have studied the structural part myself (concrete, timbers and steel), MEP is my day job.

Thank you,

beenthere

Likely as an Architectural Engineer, you belong to a Society and they have a list of members. Similar, Structural Engineers have their Society where you can start looking for one. Think that would be an SEP ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MishaZ

Quote from: beenthere on November 09, 2023, 03:20:38 PM
Likely as an Architectural Engineer, you belong to a Society and they have a list of members. Similar, Structural Engineers have their Society where you can start looking for one. Think that would be an SEP ?
beenthere, you are absolutely correct.  That stated, I'd rather not pull a name out of the hat if I did not have to.  Be good to work with someone people recommend, especially experienced with timber.  

Don P

Thank You Sponsors!