iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS261 CM now in hand

Started by Old saw fixer, December 23, 2020, 06:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old saw fixer

I got my 261 today, the James River store parts guy found it at another James River store.
DOM 03/20, definitely identified as M3.0 on the acceptance tag.  I had called to see if they an MSA140 battery saw, which the wife wanted to give me for Christmas, and a fuel tank cap for my 036Pro.  Had neither, but he had a truck out and would try to find what I needed.  Got a call after an hour or so and said he had the fuel cap,  the battery saws were gone until after Christmas but he had my 261.  That was a surprise since I thought they were all gone...  It was a good day!
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

hedgerow

Glad you got your Christmas present early. I bought a 261 late summer early fall have ran the first six pack of mix oil threw it and am liking the saw very much. Have a happy Christmas and a safe new year. 

btulloh

Good find. Glad you found your saw. Is that James River Equipment in Amelia?  Didn't know they were a Stihl dealer. 

Merry Christmas and stay dry!
HM126

Old saw fixer

It is the James River store in Burkeville, but the saw was found at the Dillwyn James River store.  I don't know about the Amelia store, I haven't been over that way for years.  I worked at Holman Motors for 10 years 1996 to 2006.  I understand the Southern States gas station in Amelia has a non ethanol pump, I need to check it out. 
     Burkeville James River had a fair stock of saws, home owner to pro and bars and chains, even had an MS500i on the counter, I was invited to pick it up, very nice but too heavy for my needs.  I am finished with whole goods saw purchases now(sure!) but looking for reasonable prices for bar oil and mixing oil.  I use Stihl's top of the line for both. 
     Merry Christmas to you and yours
     Rick
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510

btulloh

Amelia SS has 89 octane. Kenbridge, but looks like 87 only. 

Adams Oil in Powhatan has 87 and 93, but that's a fair ways away from you. 

https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/maps.jsp?statecode=VA

Is a good reference for finding real gas. Sure is worth having it even if it takes some driving. I'm up near Adams Oil on a regular basis so I usually get it there and the 93 octane seems to like my saws and stuff. I buy 87 for the old tractors. I'm not real picky about bar oil and usually just get the store brand at tractor supply. 
HM126

Old saw fixer

Bob, I am sure that I don't need top of the line bar oil,lol.  After all as long as it keeps the chain wet and doesn't fly off the chain its probably good to go.  I'll lower my sights on bar oil and keep up with performance. 
     I do have the pure-gas site bookmarked, but don't check it often.  I just put it on my phone, too. 
     Take care, Rick
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510

btulloh

Gotcha. I don't use enough bar oil to stress over the cost. Stihl bar oil is only a mile away when If i run out. 

Heavy rain starting to set in here. Glad it's not the white stuff.  I've finished my last trip out and now it's time to hunker down and rig for heavy weather.  Followed by the deep freeze tomorrow. At least we're not up there in the frozen north!  
HM126

kantuckid

I had my electric power companies tree contractor (Keller, similar outfit to Ashplund) at my house 3 days ago. They were there to remove 3 large pines next to my power lines. They were using Stihl 261 but not their favorite saw. They said they've had issues with them not idling well. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Happysawer

Quote from: kantuckid on December 24, 2020, 02:50:29 PM
I had my electric power companies tree contractor (Keller, similar outfit to Ashplund) at my house 3 days ago. They were there to remove 3 large pines next to my power lines. They were using Stihl 261 but not their favorite saw. They said they've had issues with them not idling well.
Removed.

kantuckid

Huh? Why would you suggest an everyday, all day, professional user doesn't know what fuel mixes are OK? In fact, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a protocol for the mix they use?
In the several hours I spent with the three workers, they seemed more than just a little bit competent. Two of the three were foremen, one had done trees for over 20 years for and the third was over 5 years experience. Honestly, The tree crews are often fresh out of jail but these were local and never wasted a move. I really doubt that someone in their shoes want's to pull the rope anymore than they have too?
:snowball: Merry Christmas!

hopm

kantuckid

That crew leader said he was a Husky fanboy, not the Lowe's variety either.

randy d

I can't say one thing bad about my 261 starts runs and idles great it has replaced my husky 272XP as my go to saw. Am thinking of trading my ms251 for an other. Their are times when I could use a bigger bar but that's not the saws fault. Randy

Happysawer

Quote from: kantuckid on December 25, 2020, 06:24:38 AM
Huh? Why would you suggest an everyday, all day, professional user doesn't know what fuel mixes are OK? In fact, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a protocol for the mix they use?
In the several hours I spent with the three workers, they seemed more than just a little bit competent. Two of the three were foremen, one had done trees for over 20 years for and the third was over 5 years experience. Honestly, The tree crews are often fresh out of jail but these were local and never wasted a move. I really doubt that someone in their shoes want's to pull the rope anymore than they have too?
:snowball: Merry Christmas!
Removed.

btulloh

Geez, c'mon guys.  Try to show a little grace.  This isn't an appropriate thread to have this kind of clash of opinions.  The OP just bought a new saw he's been researching and thinking about for six months.

We don't know anything about the ROW crew's saws - the age, the abuse, the mix, the tune, or even if they were C-M or pre-C-M and not tuned right.  @HolmanTree put the 261c-m through a lot of comprehensive, objective tests when it came out and found nothing but good things.  If you're a Husky fan, great.  Just start the peeing contest in another thread.

Merry Christmas everybody!
HM126

Grandpa

Well said btulloh. Thank you.

Happysawer

Grandpa

Kantuckid, we don't know the whole story with your tree guys but I have heard that a lot of tree guys do not like Mtronic saws. It seems that saws in trees idle a lot and make a lot of light cuts and the Mtronic system doesn't like that for some reason. I have experienced the same thing on the ground doing certain tasks and have had idling issues. The thing is we don't know if the saws where Mtronic or not.

The solution is a cut or two through a larger piece of wood to make the saw work. That seems to reset the system and the saw will idle again.

By the way, I really like my 261CM.

kantuckid

I'm outa this one... Y'all win :D 
"your tree guys", that's a good one? I've met them once.
 I simply shared a casual comment and there the ball went rolling.

barbender

I can see where a lot of idling and intermittent cuts like you see in climbing work would be a condition the Mtronic saws could possibly get out of whack. My 261CM has been flawless, great little saw for the type of cutting I do. Which isn't the same as what a tree service does.
Too many irons in the fire

Happysawer

Quote from: barbender on December 25, 2020, 12:11:14 PM
I can see where a lot of idling and intermittent cuts like you see in climbing work would be a condition the Mtronic saws could possibly get out of whack. My 261CM has been flawless, great little saw for the type of cutting I do. Which isn't the same as what a tree service does.
Removed.

chet

Quote from: Happysawer on December 25, 2020, 12:23:09 PM
I have not seen climbers using a CM261 C-M mostly the Stihl MS150&193s are what most are using.
Curious as to how many crews, states, cooperate companies, and private guys, you base your statement on. Having been in the cooperate tree trimming world, and owner of a private tree trimming business for over 40 years; I cannot make that same assumption. Personally I have had everything from a Super 2 Homelite to a 2100CD Husky in a tree.
As a side note it's common knowledge in the arborist world, that chainsaws suffer from an acute case of air sickness.  If they are going to fail it's going to be when their in the air.  :D  
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Happysawer

Quote from: chet on December 25, 2020, 01:14:01 PM
Quote from: Happysawer on December 25, 2020, 12:23:09 PM
I have not seen climbers using a CM261 C-M mostly the Stihl MS150&193s are what most are using.
Curious as to how many crews, states, cooperate companies, and private guys, you base your statement on. Having been in the cooperate tree trimming world, and owner of a private tree trimming business for over 40 years; I cannot make that same assumption. Personally I have had everything from a Super 2 Homelite to a 2100CD Husky in a tree.
As a side note it's common knowledge in the arborist world, that chainsaws suffer from an acute case of air sickness.  If they are going to fail it's going to be when their in the air.  :D  
Removed.

lxskllr

I've had a 362 tied to my saddle, and before I got my 2511, I used an echo cs400.

Grandpa

Kantuckid
   I guess I should have said "The tree guys you talked to". My mistake.

Thank You Sponsors!