The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: YouTube Revenue  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
Re: YouTube Revenue
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2020, 03:48:41 PM »
I don't spend very much time at all on utube. If I need to know how to make or do something I will go there after a while, but Most of my time is here on FF,  I was on Facebook for a while, and am still there , more for market place, but I found there are to many rude people, and people that really do not know what they are talking about. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline jimbarry

• Share Post
    • WoodchuckCanuck
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2020, 05:17:40 PM »
Been on YT for 12 yrs or so. Back in the day, you were earning with just a handful of subscribers. Then YT changed the rules and set the limit to 1,000 subs before money started flowing again. Took me 12 years to reach that. lol  But the channel was never the goal of making money. Gravy money really, if something was generated, all good. If not, nothing was missed. We just used YT for video storage so that the bandwidth wouldn't consume our web sites resources. The real money is in web site ad revenue. Been earning from Google since its inception some 16-17 years ago. Prior to Google's change of SEO a few years back (Nov 2017?) it was stupid easy to make mid-high 6 figures for a couple hours work each day. Like its been said, you have to find a niche market and cater to it.  The high money days are gone now, but it still trickles in... like a residual check that gets deposited each month. The big deal now is in sponsorship of products. Over the last 5-6 years we watched bloggers go from cute little web sites about DIY projects to national conventions of how to earn from DIY content. If you like what you do, it's not considered work, right? ;) 
Jim
WoodchuckCanuck.com ? Livin' the rural life in Nova Scotia.
Kiln - 2017 Nyle L200, 8ft x 10 ft x 20ft bldg, 3.5-4" 2lb closed cell spray foam, Demilec brand, HeatLok Soya Spray Polyurethane Foam Insulation

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2020, 09:08:50 PM »
You'll find a big difference between the production qualities of my videos and Nathans's.  Bush league would best describe mine. :D :D :D  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2020, 07:39:23 AM »
Robert, while I am impressed with those who are adept at making phenomenal transitions, incorporating music, text and other features, I generally watch YT videos to learn how to do things better.  An analogy would be reading from a paper-backed, dog eared book or a leather bound pristine book; if the words are well written and give the reader the satisfaction, information, or education they were seeking, the packaging does not matter much to me.

I am not comparing your videos to a dog eared paperback.  They are well done.  I do agree that Nathan does a great job with his videos (I have watched the one filmed at Jake's a few times since Covid became a thing to review the sawing processes and also to see the folks).  

If anyone ever wants to see a blade hit a clamp, the jack leg slip off a paver and smash the extra battery under the mill's tongue, or any other rookie mistake, just start the camera while I'm sawing.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2020, 09:10:14 AM »
Yes, there are some very good sawing videos out there but sadly there are also some good videos of some bad sawing techniques and setups.  Of course this is true of anything that someone can point a camera at.  Just because one sees a video on the internet doesn't necessarily make it true nor correct.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online Mooseherder

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2020, 09:23:35 AM »
My channel is for sharing with family and friends and is not monetized.  One video of Corgis in the pool from 11 years ago had 315 thousand views.  Most of my videos have less than 50 views.  Our Grandson watches the channel the most.  It's great for that.  When nothing is on TV which is pretty often, I can find something to stream on youtube. :)   
Lane Circle Mill
Homemade Bandmill

Offline woodworker9

• Share Post
    • Elite Concrete Raising Co.
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2020, 09:57:56 AM »
My channel is for sharing with family and friends and is not monetized.  One video of Corgis in the pool from 11 years ago had 315 thousand views.  Most of my videos have less than 50 views.  Our Grandson watches the channel the most.  It's great for that.  When nothing is on TV which is pretty often, I can find something to stream on youtube. :)  
Agreed.  I started my channel to make a record of some of my work, so the grand kids could look back, one day in the future, and know a little bit about me after I'm gone.  Hopefully, I'll get to share those experiences with them first hand, but in this world today, you just never know.  I ended up making a few bucks along the way, and still get a little chainsaw money from YouTube.  2 best things I've gotten from YouTube are some of the great people I've met, who I now consider very good friends,  and also a video on my channel, directly related to my main business, drives a LOT of customers to us every year.  We track every single source when a customer calls our office or contacts us via the website.  In 2020 alone, I got 37 paying customers who listed my YouTube video as their way of finding out about our business.  That alone pays for the expensive camera, editing software, mic, and upgraded computer for video editing, many times over.  The rest is gravy.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2020, 06:23:34 PM »
When nothing is on TV which is pretty often, I can find something to stream on youtube. :)  
Most of my TV time is definitely Youtube and that is not a big part of the day. I have regular work and winter hobbies guys. Come on. :D
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
1st Day of Revenue

Started by boonesyard on Sawmills and Milling

37 Replies
Last post March 11, 2019, 10:12:23 AM
by Leigh Family Farm
question
Youtube

Started by Larry on Technical Support Topics

6 Replies
Last post May 10, 2013, 10:37:27 AM
by Warbird