The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Stihl KombiSystem  (Read 1256 times)

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Stihl KombiSystem
« on: December 29, 2020, 07:40:44 PM »
Do any of you guys have a stihl kombi trimmer or pole saw, clearing saw etc?  

My main use is the clearing saw but i want to be certain that its atleast as durable as a regular straight shaft two hander model clearing saw.  OTOH a pole saw attachment would be handy now and then.  

Revelation 3:20

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Stihl KombiSystem
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 07:59:47 PM »
The KM131 works well for the homeowner/weekend warrior but is too light for clearing and maintaining a large tract such as @SwampDonkey is doing. It doesn't have the power or strength (or the price tag) of its big brothers.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 08:16:09 PM »
Mike
I have an Echo combo 
Straight shaft
Rubber power broom
Brush cutter
String head
It's 16 years old and cleared lots of brush and stood up to 
Many different folks running it.
It's tough as nails.
One of the reasons I made the jump to Echo saws.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls Riehl Steel edger,F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 08:18:15 PM »
Do any of you guys have a stihl kombi trimmer or pole saw, clearing saw etc?  

My main use is the clearing saw but i want to be certain that its atleast as durable as a regular straight shaft two hander model clearing saw.  OTOH a pile saw attachment would be handy now and then.  
There no way as durable 

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 11:20:15 PM »

Mike this bad boy with a blade like this will really clear some brush and tall grasses. I just take the angle cordless grinder and keep it sharp. Ive had this unit for years and never done a thing to it. The air cleaner lid comes off sometimes and when it did this summer no filter. The original foam disintegrated. So I made and oiled one and put in. I cut 2 miles of trails in the summer to get to some deer stands and for the Polaris General

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 01:51:31 AM »
The KM131 works well for the homeowner/weekend warrior but is too light for clearing and maintaining a large tract such as @SwampDonkey is doing. It doesn't have the power or strength (or the price tag) of its big brothers.
Im kinda on the fence about this thought process.  

My only experience is turning my freebie thrown away stihl 55r into a clearing saw and putting some time on that.  Its only 27cc with 1hp and with the blade the way ive got it now 2" oak is no issue.. Below 1" it cuts at a high idle.   But the unit itself is hammered and unreliable.  Im sold on clearing blades atleast.  Only a few days for tax deduction purchases.. has me thinking just get the brand new tool before spring and price hikes.

The co-op has up to the KM131R kombi units on the shelf.  That is 36cc and 1.9hp so double of my 55r which im not complaining about.

The biggest handlebar trimmer on the shelf uses the same 36cc motor as the 131R and both are at the top of the budget and about the same in price if i also buy a saw attatchment.  (I have saws blades to fit a trimmer head already.) 

Anyways i guess the only difference i see is will the slipfit joint of the combi system survive mostly brush cutting?  The straight shaft trimmers probably have stronger shafts and that definitely takes a severe beating in clearing saw territory, mine got deeply gouged in no time from nasty thorns.  I do believe i prefer the handlebar and shoulder harness which the kombi lacks. Or atleast im not willing to pay extra for them.  

I think a string line cutting grass takes a lot, lot more power than a sawblade in brushy stuff.   I never really need full throttle in brush but for a few seconds now and then.  With the string in grass its WOT all day.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 02:22:30 AM »
Mike I also got the echo that Bruno has from the same vintage. Never had any issues except the little button where you put the attachment together but it doesnt matter because there is a tightening clamp. I used it a lot with a adjustable hedge trimmer 

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 03:41:17 AM »
If you're thinking of the FX555 clearing saw, you may have trouble getting one because of COVID. But by spring things may change. I bought one last July, a 2 week wait. After that everyone was told there were no more because of COVID so the supply chain was disrupted. Irving Woodlands is going to need 70 new Stihl 560 this spring, they always buy Stihl. And they are a tougher saw, but their weak point is a poor harness. Husqvarna has the best harness out there, but the harness hook will get chewed up on the 560 attachment point. I always used a buckle go between that could be replaced at little expense, once a month, (after heavy 40 hr week cutting). They have a heavier shaft and are 3-4" longer if you're tall.

As far as your Husqvarna filters, the FX55 in particular, you can replace that paper one with a nylon screen one. Clean it with compressed air, don't use a brush on it. Everyone on our crew uses the nylon screen one.

I never sat down and added it up, but must have spaced 100 acres this year. We had some faster cutting for a change and a rate adjustment on thicker plantation finally. Some spots I was cutting about 3 acres in 6 hrs. Big bucks. ;D
Move'n on.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 05:07:06 AM »
So what are you using for a cutter head. Do you like the 555

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 10:59:28 AM »
Using the same blades I've always used, but has a 1" arbour instead of 3/4". The Fx555 works fine, and less fatigue because it is lighter. Gotta watch the throttle cable though, if your saw is stuck on full throttle, you pulled it from it's mount inside. Pain in the ashes.
Move'n on.

Offline Nathan4104

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 04:05:00 PM »
I have an older FS25 I think it is.... I replaced the flexi drive shaft with a solid one. The Kombi stuff had just came out then and I also wanted a rototiller for the small gardens we had, but didnt want to pay for the system 
So rather than the Kombi system,  the solid driveshaft allowed me to put on the tiller end (threw out the Kombi shaft bits) simple swap over with a few pinch bolts back to string trimmer or brush blade. As long as other attachments use a square driveshaft, they should also work Id think. 

Online weimedog

• Senior Member x2
  • Better to be a "Has Been" than a "Never Been"!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 04:14:10 PM »
Had one of the early 4 mix with a hedge trimmed ( little Sycle Bar ) attachment. Used it for fence line and trail clearing for years. Still runs fine, have replaced it with battery powered options...but when the brush is thick it STILL gets the call.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 04:32:17 PM »
Welp.. I thought it over and decided the handlebar and harness was more important to me than the kombi stuff.  I bought a FS131R after bringing the mount hub from my 55R with me to verify the spline will fit which it does.  

The 131 uses 1.0 inch bore blades.. "Large bore."  The small bore standard is 20MM.  So now i can run both large and small which i have an assortment of.  

This was the only piece of equipment i was lacking for a complete, on-foot TSI service.  now its time to stir up some work.  I got a little pump sprayer too.  Will have to study up about the chemical side of brush control soon.  

Very good to know about putting other gadgets at the end of the shaft.  I need to make a vibratory screed soon and will look for used pole saw gearbox.  

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 07:29:12 PM »
I see you made a decision and probably the right one but for anyone still thinking about a Kombi I like mine. I have the 131 and use a hedge trimmer, string trimmer, blower, and chainsaw (polesaw) attachments. For maintaining things on a small farm it is sturdy enough. The surprising attachment is the blower, works better than a hand held and less tiring if you use a shoulder strap.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2020, 09:07:52 PM »
The thing about it is i already have all the other stuff.  

2 backpack blowers
1 airbroom blower
Gas hedge trimmers
2 rototillers
Tons of saws

The pole saw was the only thing i considered and just said nah.. I dont need it.  Coincidentally.. I just got suggested to a walmart $20 complete pole saw gearbox, oiler, bar and chain online.  So i rolled the dice.  Says it fits stihl. 

If i had none of this stuff, id take a chance on the 4stroke "gx35" backpack combo kits.  Basically just a backpack flex shaft and a ton of attachments.  

I just realized that ive had my tophandle since new, for 13 years of faithful service.  I guess its hard to argue with buying good equipment if those are the numbers. Hopefully i can say that about this new addition.

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2021, 12:21:32 PM »
Guys.. The FS131 is a flippin 4 stroke that takes 50:1 mix.  I just saw the rocker arms with my own two eyes.  

mind:  blown.    :o

Offline Tacotodd

• To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2021, 12:52:54 PM »
The only lubricant the entire thing has for the engine. It somehow passes the EPA (Evil Police Association)😐 Al would get a kick out of that. I THINK it still has to be tuned to your mix. Not 100% certain.
Trying harder everyday.

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2021, 01:04:39 PM »
I have had mine for a few years and was aware of it's being a 4 stroke. The Amish dealer that I buy from said that Stihl wants to refer to it as a "4MIX" and not to advertise the 4 stroke part for fear that people wouldn't think the oil mixture is important, it is. The 131 also has a distinctly different sound than my older fs90 string trimmer, I like it.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline Tacotodd

• To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2021, 01:12:47 PM »
😄
Trying harder everyday.

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2021, 02:38:42 PM »
Yes, way different sound.  Its rumpity like a 450 dirtbike. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Mounting Cannon S2 (big Stihl) 42" bar on MS661 (small Stihl)

Started by neildorin on Chainsaws

1 Replies
Last post September 11, 2017, 06:01:44 AM
by Al_Smith
xx
Does Stihl have a different mount size at the studs for bigger and smaller Stihl

Started by quietrangr on Chainsaws

13 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 08:25:11 AM
by Al_Smith
question
stihl part number for the flywheel for a 048 stihl with two keyways

Started by chris jensen on Chainsaws

2 Replies
Last post January 01, 2021, 10:26:53 AM
by Guydreads
xx
Stihl can't start the Stihl MS310 !