The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Shipping Container  (Read 1233 times)

Offline TroyC

• Share Post
Shipping Container
« on: January 14, 2021, 09:57:04 AM »
I'm looking for a 40' high cube container. I would prefer a green one so it doesn't draw too much attention. I tried a few of the craigslist people and what i found was that they pick them up at the shipyard and deliver them- about a 2 week wait. Saw a lot of ads that seemed like people advertising that really didn't have a business. Didn't discuss money much but I'm real hesitant to pay up front for something like this. I could not find a seller that I was comfortable dealing with and no one could offer a green one. My drop spot is cleared out and has easy access for delivery.

I'm about half way between Savannah and Atlanta. Most of the suppliers pick them up in Savannah to deliver to my area. They deliver what gets loaded on their trailer so you have the potential for getting something you might not approve of.

So here are my questions to those of you with container experience:

1. Anyone have any luck with reliable suppliers of these things?
2. If I have to paint it, how many gallons and what kind of paint for roof and all 4 sides? Considering using airless sprayer.
3. Are there companies that stock containers that you can look at before purchasing? I searched but could not find any.
4. Any good or bad experiences from our members purchasing containers: anything I should watch out for?

Thanks for any info!

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Shipping Container
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 10:12:47 AM »
You want this guy.. Knows everything there is to know about containers and seems that is all he has ever done.  Can tell you how many are sitting in about any yard in america.  I think his name is charles if i remember right.  

1 708-639-4992

Containermgt.com
Revelation 3:20

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 10:14:00 AM »
Anyone you buy from is probably buying from him.  About 6 years ago i got a quote on std 40s of $1700each or 1600 per for multiples picked up in atl. 

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 10:16:17 AM »
I bought mine at a lot in cleveland, tn. They had at least 30-40 on site.
It was like walking a used car lot.
Picked out the one I wanted and it was delivered that afternoon.
Can't help you on the paint as a neighbor had gave me 5 55 gallon drums with a little bit of transformer paint left in each one.
I rolled it on several coats untill I ran out of paint. 
paid $1250 delivered but that was 13 years ago.
Had doors in both ends.
The First 60 some years of childhood is always the hardest.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 10:28:47 AM »
we have several nearby.  they all get them from a clearing house, and will work a deal if you are going to buy more than one.  mine was used once, and the whole side has doors that fold and open up the whole side.  It was 5k.  20 foot.  can be loaded with forks from the side up to 18 feet.  I picked mine out.  they are a sturdy built shed dealer.  could have driven to KC and got it cheaper, but then pay for delivery.  they worry if you pick it up your self it may get damaged in transit or offload.  they have wheels for one end, and a fork lift that attaches to the other end, and they can place it where you want with little if any damage to turf ect.  it was free delivery.  I was told if I bought a second they would take off 200 bucks.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 10:46:46 AM »
I am told they are in short supply, and check prices.  my 20 foot side open is 6,600.  a 40 foot reg. is 6,150, and a high cube 40 is 6,350.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 10:48:36 AM »
Wow, that's insane. I picked up another refrigerated 40' HC for $3100 delivered last spring.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 10:56:41 AM »
Youre a lot closer to the ocean than doc is.

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 11:00:26 AM »
Plus there is a big difference in price between a container that has been used for only one trip, versus an older one that has been pulled out of service due to age and wear.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline Tom King

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • HistoricHousePreservation
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 11:06:18 AM »
I bought from Westerncontainersales.   I bought first off the stack 40 footer for 1550, and shipping was 670.  The one that came is in pretty good shape, and I think it could still be used for shipping.  For a couple of hundred dollars more, you can get it inspected, and stickered to go back across the ocean.  I didn't pay any extra.

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Copas Sawmill
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 11:11:56 AM »
I've bought three.  Go to the yard and pick one out.  Besides holes and rust check the door seals along with how they operate.

The last two I bought were standard 40 footers about three years ago.  Paid $3,200 delivered.  The best one I bought was all aluminum 48' high cube.  I resold two on craigslist and took a fair hit on price.

The place I bought at, rents a lot of them for temporary storage.  They fix em up and re-paint.  They told me what paint to use but I forget.  Sprayed with an airless in no time and it went well.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 11:25:09 AM »
We have a couple of good dealers locally. Pricing range is $1500 to $5000.

I can go pick out what I want at the yard and they will deliver with in 48 Hrs.

Availability and supply are 2 separate issues. A lot of containers scheduled to be rotated out are still sitting in port loaded as a a result of the slow down in transportation. Quite a few 1000 s of them on the continent. Local dealer (has yards in BC AB & SK) says that once thing move back to normal transport mode there is going to be a substantial glut. 

This dealer will buy back and also rents. He said buy back price is dependent on the market as he pays the same price he would buy from his suppliers on the same container at the time you sell back.        
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 12:13:59 PM »
I am sure my guy may be the 3rd middle man, but it is worth it if delivery is included locally.  although you are ultimately paying for it in the price.

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 12:22:19 PM »
FWIW I bought from the same CMG group that Mike is talking about.  At the time the ports were slammed full so like anything it's supply and demand.  Right now bulk bulk shipping rates are at all time highs - something like $350K to the boat per day so it sounds like they need every container they have available.  

The last one I got is a 2018 and the freezer unit is still under warranty. I set it up so I have the option of a giant walk in should we need it on the farm side of things.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline muggs

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • Hardins industries
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 02:22:32 PM »
I have bought two. I paid around $2000.00 many years ago. I talked to a fellow on the phone, We agree on a price, traveled a hundred miles, then he upped the price. I am sure he thought, since I traveled that far that I would go for it. After that I would not even pay the original price.  No sale. >:(

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 07:05:49 PM »
muggs,

I am with you 100%. I never pay more than what we have already agreed to. It sets a bad precedence IMHO. I'd be more likely to burn the guys shop down than pay an extra $1.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline muggs

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • Hardins industries
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 07:32:06 PM »
Thanks for your input WV sawmiller. A man has to keep his pride. 8)

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 09:51:36 PM »
I often pay more than asking price for things i really want.  Its how i buy 1st place in line on a hot deal.  Granted the ask has to be below the current market value to begin with.  People are stunned when you up the offer and then they dont even want to take anyone elses call.  

Offline farmfromkansas

• Share Post
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 10:26:42 PM »
Here in Kansas, the company to check with is Chuck Henry Sales.  He has a website, with pics and prices.  Guy has hundreds of containers, and a lot in Solomon as well as one in KC. Prices are better picked up in KC. 
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 06:44:43 AM »
After reading this post it sounds like I need to have a more real discussion about shipping containers with my wife... I know we have a place about half an hour down the road, but I have no idea of their prices. I'd be happy at 2k for any size really.

Anyone try to bury one? I know they aren't structurally made to withstand lateral pressure, but vertically they are pretty tough aren't they?
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
48' insulated shipping container?

Started by oakiemac on Drying and Processing

12 Replies
Last post June 24, 2004, 07:56:49 AM
by Frank_Pender
xx
Insulated shipping container

Started by oakiemac on Wanted

0 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 08:17:31 PM
by oakiemac