The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: small woodlot skidder  (Read 2102 times)

Offline joebillhill

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
small woodlot skidder
« on: January 27, 2021, 07:06:15 PM »
I've been lurking on here for a little bit but I'm excited to get some post in now that my girlfriend and I recently purchased 9 acres on the east slope of Washington. We plan to build on it as well as manage the land for a healthy productive forest. 
It has fair amount of merchantable/usable Doug fir on it (14-30" DBH) and the site is also 20 degree slope or more for the majority of it.  We plan on developing the site and building ourselves a cabin and woodshop on it along with other structures over the years. My question is what would people recommend as a good all around machine (if there is one) to be able to level the slope in areas that we want to build as well as move logs to be able to be processed on site with a portable sawmill.
Thanks in advance for the input!
Joe

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: small woodlot skidder
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 07:23:30 PM »
How much money do you have to spend on a machine 

Offline Maine logger88

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't force it get a bigger hammer
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 07:30:42 PM »
Probably a small dozer with a winch something like a 450 or 650 Deere or d3 or 4 cat
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 07:35:59 PM »
Probably a small dozer with a winch something like a 450 or 650 Deere or d3 or 4 cat
That definitely would be good for nine acres 😂. Besides how much money you have to spend do you have a 3/4 ton truck or trailer to haul whatever you get ? What if it breaks down? 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 07:59:35 PM »
If youve gotta do stumps and dig foundations out of hillsides and skid logs with just one machine im going crawler loader. Unless you got money hangin out your ears and can afford a CTL.  Crawler loaders are the cheapest thing thatll curl stumps out, skid big logs and load them.  Even a small one will pick a 5k log no problem.  Theyre crappy at everything compared to anything else, but they can do a lot for cheap.  Nothing else in the $10k range will do it all.  Slow, clumsy, cheap and strong.  
Revelation 3:20

Offline Gary Davis

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 09:35:49 PM »
the garrett 15  is a small skidder but forks on a jd 450 will lift a 26 ft log 36 in in dia 

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 09:59:23 PM »
Sounds like cat ground to me theres some of JD 450s with winches but youre more likely to find 650s or 750s just due to where we are. A wheel skidder might work but youll want chains or tracks and a decent sized tire plus finding a small one out here isnt the easiest anymore. Popping fir stumps can be an interesting task when with the right equipment. 

What part of WA are you in?

Offline TmbrWlkr

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 10:45:12 PM »
+1 on the small to medium size dozer - make sure you get a winch on the back and a 6way blade.  Don't need to have a truck or trailer for it if this will be it's "home".  You can do a lot of work with a 450 size machine if you are just a little patient.  Have fun!

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 10:57:13 PM »
Your right you dont need a truck and trailer but just remember if your not mechanically inclined if you get something older and have problems. 💰💰 to have somebody come out to work on and if its got to go in to the shop then you have transportation costs 

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 11:18:06 PM »
Your right you dont need a truck and trailer but just remember if your not mechanically inclined if you get something older and have problems. 💰💰 to have somebody come out to work on and if its got to go in to the shop then you have transportation costs
No matter what youll have transport out here I sure wouldnt want to chance hauling a small dozer or skidder with a pickup. 

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 01:46:48 AM »
Yep, that's hairy enough on flat land😬 We were out in Wyoming this fall, coming down the back of the Bighorns with the 5th wheel camper with the Dodge 3500. Loaded up that camper is probably 12-14k that was a ride down the mountain I did not care for! Google searches afterwards centered around "5.9 Cummins exhaust brake"😂
Too many irons in the fire

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 03:42:29 AM »
Theyre not that incredible.  i cut the hotside flange off the JY cat c7 turbo i used on my dt466 and welded on a flanged, ungated end to couple up a vee band for a pacbrake i also scored at the JY off a pusher rv.   

Its about 1/3 as powerful as a real jake.  Yes, they do help slow the rate of runaway slightly, but on a 10% grade at say 25 or 30k gross, they wont slow you down.  Theyll try to help keep you from gaining while youre letting off the service brake to let it cool for a second.  On big hills i still drop atleast one maybe 2 gears and ride the pacbrake the entire way.  

An autotrans will need a forced TCC lockup switch or the converter will just freewheel anyway. 

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 05:26:24 AM »
No matter what youll have transport out here I sure wouldnt want to chance hauling a small dozer or skidder with a pickup.

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 08:27:50 AM »

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Now try that in a the PNW youll be at the bottom of a creek the roads are steep.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 08:50:29 AM »
 Somewhere I saw a picture I think came out of TX where a guy had a 210 Komatsu behind a 1 ton, flat ground sure, not here 😆 

450-650 dozer will do alot of work, i see Deeres out there all set up going for 25-40 with 8-12khrs. Biggest thing you want to look at is the C-frame. From what I see the bigger you go out that way with a dozer the further your dollar goes, decent older 6 will do 2x the work. 

Online tawilson

• Share Post
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2021, 12:25:54 PM »
I've been lurking on here for a little bit but I'm excited to get some post in now that my girlfriend and I recently purchased 9 acres on the east slope of Washington. We plan to build on it as well as manage the land for a healthy productive forest.
It has fair amount of merchantable/usable Doug fir on it (14-30" DBH) and the site is also 20 degree slope or more for the majority of it.  We plan on developing the site and building ourselves a cabin and woodshop on it along with other structures over the years. My question is what would people recommend as a good all around machine (if there is one) to be able to level the slope in areas that we want to build as well as move logs to be able to be processed on site with a portable sawmill.
Thanks in advance for the input!
Joe
If it is going to be your only piece of equipment,  maybe something a little more versatile would be better and just hire someone for a couple days of dozer work, clearing and cutting a couple trails across the property. I've never run a dozer but I've seen what can be done with an experienced operator and I would think 9 acres wouldn't take too long .
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725 ordered

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2021, 01:18:33 PM »
Mike, I had heard what you are saying, that the pac brake and others aren't very impressive. But I was riding with my uncle in his Dodge 3500 Cummins out in the Wyoming mountains, kept getting my nose put into the windshield by that brake. I immediately thought, "me want!"😁 My other uncle out there said he can come off the mountain 2 gears higher with his truck that has a brake pulling his stock trailer.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2021, 01:45:16 PM »
Its not that they arent helping to control the load... Its just that your perspective of a pacbrake's effectiveness changes when youre driving a 3406 or 6nz down a 10% @2200rpm with a true jacobs on 3.   I used to think the pacbrake was amazing.  I dont anymore, but i still wouldnt part with it!  

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2021, 01:46:23 PM »
Uh oh.. Weve strayed pretty far for page one buddy!  

Online tawilson

• Share Post
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2021, 02:11:30 PM »
Uh oh.. Weve strayed pretty far for page one buddy!  
I call that "bumping the thread".
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725 ordered

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Line skidder for small private woodlot

Started by jczepil on Forestry and Logging

24 Replies
Last post March 07, 2017, 07:34:32 AM
by Spartan
xx
Purchasing small woodlot

Started by gman98 on Forestry and Logging

8 Replies
Last post August 20, 2018, 10:07:48 PM
by Southside