The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: knuckleboom operators view  (Read 882 times)

Offline 2308500

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
knuckleboom operators view
« on: January 29, 2021, 09:32:52 PM »
unloading on a minus 15 celcius morning makes the hydraulics talk :)

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: knuckleboom operators view
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 11:50:01 PM »
Is that a Serco or Huldtins grapple?
Too many irons in the fire

Offline 2308500

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 11:58:13 PM »
Hultdins 360 heavy duty. all the plates are double the thickness of the standard 360

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 12:22:08 AM »
At that temperaure I say inside with a cup of coffee, don't do that no more! ;D Is that firewood?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 07:55:28 AM »
Its real hard on pumps when a summer viscosity fluid is being run that cold.  The fluid turns thick as mollasses and the pump cant draw it in fast enough so it cavitates. This is the whiny pump sound. wears the pump internals very fast by an erosion from tiny gas bubbles being compressed then exploding in the gears, vane, piston barrels whathaveyou. 

The creaking comes from contraction of the pivoting joints making all clearances tighter.  The grease freezes and you get that ugly metal on metal sound like when a press is driving a shaft out of a stuck bore.  

All good reasons to stay in with sawguy  ;D

Love your dumpster lid tractor canopy in the processing vid.  Ill be on the lookout for one now.
Revelation 3:20

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 08:14:03 AM »
I have run mine down to 0 degrees. It will make you feel like you are made of steel. All the insulated boots coveralls etc. are needed but after a few hours the steel and the wind migrate in. Can't do it for any length of time anymore.

Offline 2308500

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 09:17:50 AM »
mike  that loader is running a combination of hydraulic 32 and dexron 3.  the valves on the newer serco loaders are alot noisier than the older ones.  the noise you hear when swinging is the drive unit motor.  the go pro mic makes  them seem worse than it  actually is.  I never looked at the top of the tractor roof but yes it works.  bought tractor like that.

Sawguy.  yes that is for firewood. i had cut it on my woodlot and sorted it for myself. Sawlog and veneer market can be a crapshoot in nova scotia along with long trucking distances. So firewood quality was a guarantee for me on that load :D

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 10:49:26 AM »
Sercos do have a loud swing motor, if that was actually your pumps making that noise you would be in n trouble😁 

We run a fleet if those SG360s grapples on our forwarders, they are bulletproof 👍

Offline 2308500

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 04:46:33 PM »
when we bought this loader 5 years ago we ordered a new grapple as well and the heavy duty was ordered by "mistake".
it was an error we would make again. the other ones have the occasional cracks but this one has seen zero cracking and moves a couple hundred tonnes per day

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 06:28:05 PM »
Per DAY?  

How much fuel is that?
Revelation 3:20

Offline 2308500

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 09:10:36 PM »
Sorry mike. the loader moves that much.  loading and unloading.  2 or 3 loads delivered to mill per day plus loading another hayrack trailer or 2. tonnage shovelled adds up.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 10:37:15 PM »
In the Huldtins model designations, they have 2 lines- the SG and the SGll. What you have is an SG360s, I believe. Yes, heavier plating and a thicker rotator mount. We had an intercontinental miscommunication on these is why I have got to learn more than I need to know about them. We outfitted a forwarder I was running with a 420 size grapple. When it came in to Ponsse, I said "this don't look right." They did some checking...nope, not the HD version. Next one comes in. Still doesn't look right, but it had more reinforcement (mainly a thicker rotator mount). Well, I thought that's as good as it gets and bolted it on. Turns out it was a SGll420s. That's the HD version of the SGll, the problem was that they're still not as hd as the original SG line. Unfortunate, because they had better geometry and rolled the wood in better. Well fast forward a couple of years I had 2 machines that got outfitted with them another operator tried my machine and said "me too!" about my grapple, so he got one too😊 Now we had 3 in the woods, and they all started to fall apart about the same time. I'm feeling pretty sheepish because the boss kinda trusted my judgement on them. I had Ponsse get ahold of Huldtins, they had a couple of reps that were going to come to my jobsite and evaluate my grapple. They wanted the serial # before they came out, so I sent it to them. They responded, we're not coming now, no need to🤷🏽‍♂️ Turns out those SGll grapples weren't even supposed to be in the North American market...ok now what do I do? We have 3 and we can barely keep them welded together😬 Between them and Ponsse, they got the brand new SG420s on the way. It's built just like your 360 but a bit bigger, and they've been working great. We've been running them for over a year now. Idk if we got the first ones that were made, but I'm certain they were the first in North America. For whatever reason, prior they had a hole in the SG model lineup where it went from a 360 straight to a 520. The 420 would also make a great truck grapple, but that size is probably not necessary when you are handling long wood. We are almost all 8' so it adds up to a lot less passes at the end of the day.

Offline 2308500

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 11:48:14 PM »
yep barbender ours is the SG360s   not the sg2.  360 is big enough for us handling logs. the serco  8500 could  handle more but with this size it will last longer. the rotobec 80 handles the 360 well but 460 would probably be overkill.

we handle a mix of 8 foot and sawlogs so no need to punish the loader itself.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2021, 12:29:13 AM »
I agree, the 360 is a good all around size, and a better choice for big wood and long wood. Now pulp, the 420 is excellent. I'm picking up 8' black spruce right now, when I get on the landing, if I'm on top of things I can swing 9 cords off the BuffaloKing into a decently straight, neat pile in 8 minutes. It saves me 4-5 passes per bunk vs a 360, like I say it adds up over the course of the day. I can move more in a day, or move the same amount and go home earlier😊

Offline Brandon1986

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 05:02:09 PM »
Goodness.. I run a Stinger Steer set up with a 10 ton Olympic on it.. That tiny grapple would drive me insane friend  :D :D.. I watched about 3 min of the video before I had to shut it off in frustration.. I could unload that whole hay rack in about 4 grabs... MAYBE 3.  The set up would be AMAZING for when the dang wood thieves come and cut up my darn log decks though.. I have to have at least a 30' tree for my bunk logs, and it happens that they only take half a tree most of the time making it so I can't hardly grab the whole deck.  Looks nice to run though.

Offline 2308500

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2021, 05:12:03 PM »
Brandon.  grapple and loader will easily move twice that amount of wood per grab but as i was working so close to my neighbors expensive camper trailer i didn t want to risk dropping a stick :o

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
how old is my knuckleboom?

Started by treefarmer87 on Forestry and Logging

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 02:24:47 PM
by snowstorm
xx
Knuckleboom?

Started by treefarmer87 on Forestry and Logging

11 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 04:19:32 PM
by SouthernRumRunner