The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: What is the smallest logging rig you use?  (Read 2698 times)

Offline grabber green

• Share Post
Re: What is the smallest logging rig you use?
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2021, 10:36:50 AM »
The smallest most low impact method for me would be the time I rucked in 2.5 miles with a 046 stihl ,single bit axe,a froe and some wedges . Humped out around 100 pounds of guitar wood with a usgi molle large ruck.  

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2021, 11:07:00 AM »
Ive contemplated it snowstorm but thats an inbetween for me that i havent needed yet and keep backing out of.  My 2wd tractor doesnt get stuck before it does a wheelie that wont come down.   so the extra weight wouldnt be in the right place.  The steering is junk, its not worthy of a loader or blade.  If i were to turn the tractor into a Polish forwarder with no steer axle then id have no mower, compactor, chipper,  etc etc. 

I really ought to do a light winch crane on that trailer. But it may be too flimsy, i surprised it hasnt snapped. 

The next trailer will be a walking beam, heavy frame and big bunks with a hydraulic grapple rotator on a squirt crane for behind a crawler, probably the Case.  A crane is what i really really really need but i dont have all the resources on hand yet.  I am hoping to see a crawler that can wrestle 4 cord out or more without a driven trailer.  I will probably put a winch ontop a skeleton grapple on the case loader so it can fetch off the hillsides and reel to the crane, push against the lean etc etc.   I only want to drive in and out once a day 

I never really saw anyone put a big dray behind a crawler.  The ones ive seen always seem way too small. Theres that one guy sledding a train load behind a 350 and thats all i can find. 

Wherever the crawler dray is maxed out, that is the starting line for the 8x8.  If i live to finish that and am still looking for a challenge, the 5ton axles i am using have a toploader with flanges at both sides of the chunk so you can put as many axles inline as you have driveshafts for. groundspeed PTOs sticking out the font and back of the machine are just begging for a powered pintle tag trailer that can go at either end where room allows such a contraption.   

Revelation 3:20

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2021, 02:43:33 PM »
My smallest logging equipment, from back when I was doing things the hard way:

Grapple:

My "skidder" was a Craftsman garden tractor, and my forwarding trailer was a Rubbermaid garden cart. That got old really quickly. (Sorry, I have no photos of that equipment.)

What I mostly use now is a NH TC33D, 33 HP Compact Tractor with Sundown GR40 grapple and Uniforest 35E logging winch. Added a belly pan, grill guard, and limb risers (which included a bit of protection from falling objects)

I've also upgraded my forwarding trailer just a bit when I guy a couple hours down the road was selling his Metavic forwarding trailer (he only had about 50 hours on it). This is a shot from when I was clearing an outdoor classroom space in the woods behind a local elementary school. I could not have gotten anything any bigger back in to this location.

And then occasionally, Brutus (1951 Dodge M37 Korean War military pickup) gets called into service, either hauling firewood or pulling the forwarding trailer:

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline grabber green

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2021, 02:48:44 PM »
Cool m37 . Does it have the factory pto winch?

Offline Runningalucas

• Full Member x2
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2021, 02:57:53 PM »

Grapple:
  (Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

My "skidder" was a Craftsman garden tractor, and my forwarding trailer was a Rubbermaid garden cart. That got old really quickly. (Sorry, I have no photos of that equipment.)

What I mostly use now is a NH TC33D, 33 HP Compact Tractor with Sundown GR40 grapple and Uniforest 35E logging winch. Added a belly pan, grill guard, and limb risers (which included a bit of protection from falling objects)

I've also upgraded my forwarding trailer just a bit when I guy a couple hours down the road was selling his Metavic forwarding trailer (he only had about 50 hours on it). This is a shot from when I was clearing an outdoor classroom space in the woods behind a local elementary school. I could not have gotten anything any bigger back in to this location.

And then occasionally, Brutus (1951 Dodge M37 Korean War military pickup) gets called into service, either hauling firewood or pulling the forwarding trailer:

Nice M-37; I've got a 51' as well; ex Air Force owned with about 15 layers of paint, lol.  The driveline yokes are about as weak as weak can be.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2021, 03:34:43 PM »
The M37s ride really nice compared to the old style Power Wagons 

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2021, 03:45:47 PM »

Grapple:

Nice M-37; I've got a 51' as well; ex Air Force owned with about 15 layers of paint, lol.  The driveline yokes are about as weak as weak can be.
Driveline has been good for me. When I was pulled between 15-20k a few times on a 1,200 mile trip with a 3.7 turbo Diesel in my M37. Did break the axle with the locking differential. And needed a heavy beefed up clutch

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2021, 03:53:04 PM »
John mc thatís a nice hardtop you have on the M37 thatís a factory one and there worth a few 💰

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2021, 04:25:10 PM »
John mc thatís a nice hardtop you have on the M37 thatís a factory one and there worth a few 💰
It's been nice driving it in colder weather with that hard top. My friend across town (who restores Dodge Power Wagons and M37s professionally) has an M37 with the soft top. I have to admit I do envy him in the summer when he's driving around town with the top down and the windshield folded flat against the hood.

Cool m37 . Does it have the factory pto winch?
It did not have one originally. Someone had added a 9000# electric winch and cut a hole in the front bumper to feed the cable through. (It was a 12 volt winch connected to one of the two 12V batteries in the stock 24V system. Not a great setup for the batteries, and the generator really doesn't have the oomph to recharge things in a reasonable time after some hard winching.)

I bought an original winch and PTO from a guy in Ohio, pulled my front bumper off, and had a local fab shop guy cut that down into the two "bumperettes" that go with the winch. That's getting installed next month, when it's going in to my friend's shop for some other work.

This is never going to be a museum piece. I wanted something with some "character", but that I would not be heartbroken if I dinged it up driving it in the woods.

The M37s ride really nice compared to the old style Power Wagons
It does ride nice. The previous owner added power steering, which has also made it easier to maneuver. I came with Michelin 11.00-R16 tires on it, which are 2"+ bigger than stock. At first I thought it was a bit "over the top" for my taste. I'm not into mud racing or anything like that. However, the extra ground clearance has been great in the woods, and it does up the top end on the speed a bit.

It is noisy, though! Part of this is due to a hole in the exhaust manifold, which will be addressed soon. I think some heavy rubber mats on the floor will help as well: the floor just acts like a sounding board when you get up to speed. Even throwing some tools on the passenger side helps damp it down a bit.

Nice M-37; I've got a 51' as well; ex Air Force owned with about 15 layers of paint, lol.  The driveline yokes are about as weak as weak can be.
I have not had ANY problems with the drive train so far, other than it wanting to pop out of 3rd gear (that also will get addressed soon).

Brutus is going into my friend's shop next month for a bit of work. We're swapping out the 230 engine that was stock  for US Military M37s and putting in a 251 which was used in the Canadian version. Even when new those 230s were really undersized for these trucks. You do not want to get stuck behind me on even a moderate upgrade. If you are willing to downshift and go slow, it will pull a surprising amount, you just aren't getting anywhere fast.

Some folks put in more modern V8s or diesels and cruise at 65 or 70 MPH. However, I really like the older engines. As I told my friend, I didn't really want to go faster, I just wanted to be able to go "as fast, more of the time".

In addition to the engine swap, we are rebuilding the transmission and transfer case, installing the winch mentioned earlier, and replacing the front drums with disk brakes (I need a little better stopping power when pulling a load, especially on some of these hills).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2021, 04:55:28 PM »
Sounds like your going to make some good improvements 👍

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2021, 05:02:06 PM »
Sounds like your going to make some good improvements 👍
And he will stop "marking his territory" by dripping oil everywhere he is parked.

Offline Runningalucas

• Full Member x2
  • Dazed and Confused
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2021, 06:34:03 PM »

I have not had ANY problems with the drive train so far, other than it wanting to pop out of 3rd gear (that also will get addressed soon).

Brutus is going into my friend's shop next month for a bit of work. We're swapping out the 230 engine that was stock  for US Military M37s and putting in a 251 which was used in the Canadian version. Even when new those 230s were really undersized for these trucks. You do not want to get stuck behind me on even a moderate upgrade. If you are willing to downshift and go slow, it will pull a surprising amount, you just aren't getting anywhere fast.

Some folks put in more modern V8s or diesels and cruise at 65 or 70 MPH. However, I really like the older engines. As I told my friend, I didn't really want to go faster, I just wanted to be able to go "as fast, more of the time".

In addition to the engine swap, we are rebuilding the transmission and transfer case, installing the winch mentioned earlier, and replacing the front drums with disk brakes (I need a little better stopping power when pulling a load, especially on some of these hills).
Yes, their drivelines, ring, and pinion are weak.  Mine was fine for years of use, then backing up a steep incline from a river bank, and a yoke just snapped; very little extra reinforcing meat.  They're commonly upgraded from what I hear. 
Our's still has the old 230, we rebuilt it about 22 years ago, and at that time the military motor pool had apparently rebuilt it to the limit; as the crank was turned too far down.  We had to replace it. 
I'm not sure what we're going to do with the old beast, I learned to drive a stick with it.  Maybe it'll get more modern drivetrain components, and maybe it'll stay stock.  We painted a mule on the back as it'll go through, and up anything, but slow as slow can be. 
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Offline Wallys World

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2021, 08:54:49 PM »
I use my Kubota BX22 with either my hydraulic winch and arch or the Wallenstein Timber Talon. Low impact and moves a lot of wood.

Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & 056

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2021, 10:10:43 PM »
Nice little setup 👍

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2021, 10:24:36 PM »
Nice, @Wallys World !  Wallentstein doesn't advertise the Timber Talon anymore - at least not that i can find. They do show an LXT95 (9.5' reach. 5000# load capacity, off-road) and an LXT115 (11.5' reach, 11,500# load capacity, highway towable). Is yours similar to one of those, or something different?

If I remember correctly, weren't you using yours to help out in a church firewood donation program to families in need?  I do something similar with mine: we have a community effort. We started off the heating season VERY busy, but things seem to have tapered off a lot lately.

Offline Wallys World

• Share Post
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2021, 10:39:39 PM »
Yes, they are simular. They are on the main web site, and only 2 models are listed.
I am still using it for the firewood ministry. We are up to 64 face cords as of today. 
I am making a cone type wedge that will go in place of the gapple for splitting monster pieces. I have an 9 inch auger for it, so the cone off of Ebay should work good.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & 056

Offline g_man

• Share Post
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2021, 10:24:58 AM »
I have a 30 hp L3010 and a 2001 Ram3500. Don't usually work with stuff this big .......

gg

Offline driftlessinwi

• Learning
    • Share Post
    • Starting over in the country
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2021, 10:32:24 AM »
Nice setup @Wallys World ,  I am jealous of your trailer.  I have a Wallenstein grapple for my big skidsteer and I really like the quality of it, not to mention it is my favorite attachment.  A forwarding trailer like that sure would be nice...I have it on the project list to fabricate one day.

Offline driftlessinwi

• Learning
    • Share Post
    • Starting over in the country
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2021, 10:39:50 AM »
@g_man That's a nice truck, man that had to be a heavy load in the back, looks like some big white oak.

It seems the 3pt log skidder/winch setup is pretty common.  Any downsides to it?  I may be paranoid, but I hate going into the woods in a tractor, especially one without a cab.  I was nearly decapitated when I was cleaning up a trail with a dozer blade on my compact tractor and I wasn't paying much attention to the fact that a 10" log I was pushing out of the way was about 40' long and was bending like a bow, luckily I saw it rise up on the blade at the last second before it slid up over the blade and sprung at me.  I was able to duck in time before it almost knocked my ROPs off the tractor.  I immediately drove down from the woods to the house and told my wife I was selling the tractor and getting a skidsteer :)

After getting a skidsteer I can't count how many times large limbs and debris have crashed onto the top while working in the woods.  Stay safe out there!

Online mjeselskis

• Share Post
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2021, 01:06:23 PM »
@g_man That's a nice truck, man that had to be a heavy load in the back, looks like some big white oak.

It seems the 3pt log skidder/winch setup is pretty common.  Any downsides to it?  I may be paranoid, but I hate going into the woods in a tractor, especially one without a cab.  I was nearly decapitated when I was cleaning up a trail with a dozer blade on my compact tractor and I wasn't paying much attention to the fact that a 10" log I was pushing out of the way was about 40' long and was bending like a bow, luckily I saw it rise up on the blade at the last second before it slid up over the blade and sprung at me.  I was able to duck in time before it almost knocked my ROPs off the tractor.  I immediately drove down from the woods to the house and told my wife I was selling the tractor and getting a skidsteer :)

After getting a skidsteer I can't count how many times large limbs and debris have crashed onto the top while working in the woods.  Stay safe out there!
The dropping limbs and the springy trees while pushing brush are what motivated my roof and limb risers on my tractor. I'm sure the roof would suffer some damage, but at least deflect things away from me

2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Smallest Truck You Can Use

Started by Bodger on Sawmills and Milling

20 Replies
Last post July 24, 2008, 07:10:58 PM
by peterduncan
xx
what is the smallest skidder?

Started by ozarkgem on Forestry and Logging

46 Replies
Last post April 27, 2014, 08:57:55 PM
by BEEMERS