iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need info on a decent saw

Started by Mark Greenman, February 22, 2021, 12:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Greenman

:embarassed:I am looking for a 372xp or comparable, the catch is I only have about 400 to spend. Is the holzfforma 372xp . A decent get buy saw until I can afford the husky.

sawguy21

Welcome aboard Mark! Maybe a mod can move this over to Chainsaws where you are likely to get more feedback.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

barbender

I'd look for a good used saw before I put any money on Chinese garbage.
Too many irons in the fire

weimedog

Find a clean pre 2010 Husqvarna 365 special or 372xp they typically are in the $400 dollar range. Also the post 2016 372's SOMETIMES are in the price range you are budgeted with....be patient and spend wisely please.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

sawguy21

It depends. If just for occasional use around the hacienda it might do ok but don't expect miracles. If you need something in that size a decent used Husqvarna/Jonsered/Stihl would be a far better investment. If that Chinese saw gives you grief you are out of luck, there is no service available.

DHansen

A 365 Husqvarna sold here locally for $365.00 just last week.  It was clean and I was too slow on the draw.

DHansen

barbender

Snooze you lose on clean pro saws at agood price😊
Too many irons in the fire

Guydreads

I just payed around 450 for an almost brand new Jonsered 2071 Turbo, one of IMHO if not the best saws ever built.

sawguy21

8) A red 372, nothing wrong with that!

Tacotodd

You might also try a Redmax. You talk about a Husky and Jonsred that nobody knows about, that's IT. I don't know the price comparisons off the top of my head, but I think that it's the least expensive of the 3 and it's almost the same saw. Likely detuned slightly. Such as a G7100 I "think" is a 372XP x-tork. A wolf in sheep clothing if you will. @Spike60 could verify one way or the other.
Trying harder everyday.

Guydreads

What I've heard about Redmax saws is that they're not tuned as well from the factory. They generally are too rich. At least when Stanley "Dirt Monkey" Genadek reviewed them.

ladylake

Quote from: Guydreads on February 22, 2021, 04:34:11 PM
What I've heard about Redmax saws is that they're not tuned as well from the factory. They generally are too rich. At least when Stanley "Dirt Monkey" Genadek reviewed  

Sure shouldn't  be any problem tuning a saw.  They all need it for temp, fuel , altitude, not set right from the factory,  etc.  Steve 
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Spike60

Well, the only difference between the Red Max and the Jonny 2172 was the decal. No difference in tuning or anything, but that's some of the mis information with a lot of these "reviews".

However, it's all a moot point as the whole experiment of re-labeling what was left of the Jonsered line is over. Red Max is essemtially out of the saw business. Think the kept just 2 saws for "landscaper use". A 50cc and the little 35cc top handle.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Guydreads

Well they have the: GZ381, GZ500, GZ3500T, GZ360, GZ550, GZ4350, GZ5000, GZ7100, and the G9000. That is more than two saws.... perhaps I misunderstood you.

Spike60

That's what they used to have. Letters have gone out to dealers about the saws going away. No doubt that the red max site and others still list the full line, and likely will for a while to help sell down whatever inventory is still out in the field. Usually takes a while for everything to catch up with these changes. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Guydreads

Ah well, glad to know that.... Of course I'm not a dealer, am I??? lol

ButchC

You take your chances with those china clones, might get a decent one, might get junk but either way your stuck with it. As already said a nice used Husky should price compare to a new china clone. Couple years ago I was looking for a similar saw and purchased an excellent 576 for $400 and didn't have to look very long to find it.  Of course you also take your chances with a used saw but I like the odds better than the china saw bet. 
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

SnoJetter

Quote from: Spike60 on February 23, 2021, 03:04:58 PM
That's what they used to have. Letters have gone out to dealers about the saws going away. No doubt that the red max site and others still list the full line, and likely will for a while to help sell down whatever inventory is still out in the field. Usually takes a while for everything to catch up with these changes.
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm curious if a dealer will liquidate their inventory with a killer deal to the customer?  Red saws never seemed to be a popular choice in my area, as evidenced by my lack of success in finding much Jonsered equipment for sale without having to travel.  There is (was?) a Redmax dealer about 45 minutes away and maybe a month ago advertised his inventory of G7100's on FB Marketplace.  Now...I have no need for a saw that big.  But that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to own one. Actually, I would like to have a 2171 just because I want the label to say "Jonsered."  But...if I could get a brand new G7100 with a steep discount, I might overlook the name on the sticker.

To add some content to the discussion at hand, I would recommend going with an established brand over the clone.  At this stage of the game, I have no reason to knock the clones.  But the original is just better built with better materials overall.  I know a decision often comes down to price, and I was/am there as well depending on the situation.  But I've learned that paying for quality has more upside to it.

Deals are out there.  On a recent random search, I came across an ad for a Jonny Red 2152 for reasonable money.  After talking with the owner, he came down in price to significantly less than his asking price and that included shipping it half way across the country.  Granted, I haven't actually inspected the saw but for less than $200 shipped for a pro saw I'll take my chances.  It's on its way as I type!

Thank You Sponsors!