The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Straight 660 Timberjack.  (Read 1849 times)

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Straight 660 Timberjack.
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2021, 05:54:11 PM »
 He cut some pile of wood when he was going. My GF's uncle used to go to the show every yr and take pictures of the parade, im helping her move boxes in the back of a shed and she hands me these photo albums ? I start going thru them and here was Clem when he bought 2x new 820D's, he enjoyed those pictures when i brought them down for him, ive gotten torn up a couple times at that table 😆 yeah he will pause sometimes, go from full French to partial French, just a great man. 

I can't see how some of these guys are making it, I work 7 days a week and have periods where I do ok, periods where you dont make anything, new irons nice but nothing ive got the banks going to coming to get if im slow. 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2021, 08:57:29 PM »
so what does the 660 cross over to in size a JD 848 or what, never really been around one much

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2021, 09:03:43 PM »
Yeah it was the 848G for a while. Told the guy with that low hr G3 I was going to spend money this week now he wants to play let's make a deal, not sure what im buying.  Ed im afraid of going in over my head, if I got offered the right chiefs job with the right company I can still park this stuff tomorrow. Had a problem down here a few months ago, I would have let it go, made the guy make it right, my father didn't want to hear it and now its a hornets nest, im not working nights alot because I want to, worried about coming back in the morning to all my stuff burned to the ground, I cant get these 2 jobs done fast enough so my iron goes 1hr away, told the Pakistani to hit a certain # and I want that gas station sold, done with these people. 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2021, 10:02:13 PM »
Barge your not telling me something I had kind of figured out in my small weak mind , your not working 7 days a week just because you think its sexy , up here there are deals on machines but I'm just not feeling the love the way everything is going so I had a talk with the 3 of us , me , myself and I and were staying with what we got as far as machines goes , I owe nothing on these so if they have to sit thats not a problem and I'm getting very picky in my old age on what jobs I do , had another job today and said no thanks to . I have done enough of these jobs that really does nothing more than make the land owner alot of money . Things are going to get alot worse before they get better , lumber is at a all time high but we as loggers are not seeing any of that cash, yes I get good coin on stuff that goes into containers but not from my sawmills in this area . Your skidding a long ways so you need to find big skidders that you can bring huge hitches each time . Back in the mid 90's I was in the same boat as you, road cost was just way to much so it was mile to mile and a half skids . I looked at a new clark 668 and some kind of tree length grapple forwarder type machine , I knew the salemen pretty good , forwarder guy told me 364 days a year to break even so 1 day a year it made money so that was off the table pretty fast , the 668 looked good but alot of coin back then and what do you do with it if you can freeze a rd in to where skidding is alot shorter , skidder is just to big and slow . I bought new winch bands for my skidder just in case I need them and another thing happened today, I texted my skidsteer guy and asked if they has any 8 ft wide new angle plows for my machine , price came back at $3500 with everything I wanted , I left him alone and 2 hours later he called me $2350 which I said yes to . This is quite a large dealer and he is scared on whats coming , now you guys I think are in better shape than us cause of how bad we are run up here but I would not stick  my neck out to far unless you are sure you got everything covered

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2021, 10:51:21 PM »
Ed you talk to yourself too 😆 I fire myself on a daily basis. Anymore if I cant make reasonable money cutting a job im not even getting involved, let someone else starve to death. By Friday I will have 40k ft of softwood sitting behind me, over 20ld of firewood logs and ship 7-8ld of good logs, on top of hopefully 4ld of pulpwood this week, all by myself.... the deals are around, just got to be ready to jump. I told the guy with the G3 if I buy the skidder hes going to commit to a price on his CLEAN 450J, im so sick of being cold and after buying that 750J I want a cab dozer for the woods. 

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2021, 05:39:17 AM »
You have to pick your poison. At some point youll have to drink some. I dont care what route you take. Your basically winning and loosing big or winning and loosing small. Small gives me less of a headache and I sleep better🙂

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2021, 06:15:53 AM »
yes we talk lots , big thing is you need to sit yourself down and really figure out did you make any more money after spending so much on equipment and the cost of running that equipment per day , yes you produce alot more but your cost is alot more to produce that stuff AND are you always going to have that timber to use that equipment 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2021, 09:11:10 AM »
If america glorified spending as little as possible instead of making as much as possible, we'd have a 3 day workweek instead of 7. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2021, 09:52:13 AM »
If you think about it . Back when my Dad logged . A log truck took 2500 feet and the team of guys cut 2 or 3 of those a day and made alot more money per thousand than we are today.  Just because we produce more does not mean we are making more once its all said and done . 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2021, 09:55:08 AM »
Now back to Barges skudder. Never been around a 848 or a 948 but I'm sure they would pull a hell of a load . Phone Tigercat and tell them you want to demo a new 6 wheel dkidder or I guess johndeere as they may one now just tell them you want to put only 2500 hours on it for a test to see if its the machine you want lol

Offline Mountaynman

• Full Member x2
  • work from the southern adks to the catskills in NY
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2021, 06:22:19 PM »
to the skidder makes gd sense for his operation and the 460 he has was run hard and well maintained by the origional owner and is of the same vintage as that 660 if you go back downsize you could bunch with the 440 and dozer to it for long skids

ed the crazy thing is that the 2500 ft made a living for all 3 and the trucker as well and some more at the sawmill
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2021, 07:21:03 PM »
 @Mountaynman  These guys dont realize how MUCH wood that little Frenchman cut 😆 

I dont know what to do, low hr G3 or this pig 🤷‍♂️  guy put new batteries in it today, got it out. 

That machine hasn't seem much wood, arch isn't even hammered. 

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2021, 07:38:43 PM »
Well seeing it drive around sure helps. Is it a 5.9? 

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2021, 07:39:44 PM »
8.3 cummins, Clark trans, basically a big sister to my 460. 

Offline kiko

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2021, 08:22:11 PM »
In my experience that 8.3 is a snorting beast.  Does your timbco have an 8.3?

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2021, 08:33:54 PM »
No, my Timbco was an unloved red headed step child in the UP because it was spec-ed out with a 6068T Deere engine, had only ever seen a barsaw in redpine when i got it. I bought it from Lakeshore when he was still going, no one wanted it because it didn't have the HP for a big head. 

I cant find a good brochure on it but im being told its 230-250hp, I will have to check the tag. 

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2021, 09:03:39 PM »
Your 460 has a 8.3? All the 360s and 460s I ran had the 5.9. Well except the newer 460h. That was Deere. All good though. 

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2021, 09:22:48 PM »
My 460 has a 5.9. That 660 in the picture has an 8.3 cummins. 

Offline kiko

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2021, 09:51:52 PM »
IIRC the 848G had an 8.1 jd engine. Other than that they were basically the same as the 660.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2021, 06:35:44 PM »
Barge , the 660 looks pretty good , new tires and forsure not beat up , if the price is right I'm sure it will do the job well 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cutting Straight, Staying Straight

Started by matariki on Chainsaws

23 Replies
Last post March 21, 2019, 11:32:48 AM
by mredden
xx
They don't have to be Straight

Started by ARKANSAWYER on Timber Framing/Log construction

14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2005, 05:43:40 AM
by GAV64