iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Species for TF Porch

Started by snowmountain, March 23, 2021, 01:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowmountain

Hi Folks,

We are hoping to get a new house framed up this year.  There will be a breezeway/porch connecting the garage to the mud room.  While the house will be stick framed we want to do the porch as a timber frame.  I want the timbers to be first very durable and second attractive. I have cut enough black cherry for the posts, top plates, and a couple purlins.  

I plan to do a common rafter style.  What might you suggest for rafters?  I don't think I could come up with enough cherry to do it.  I have lots of eastern white pine, hemlock, and shagbark hickory (I probably could find enough red oak but don't have any white)  I would love to us the hickory but everything I have read on here indicates it will not last due to the power post beatles. Is it at all possible to treat it so that it will last (thinking at least 100 years). Roof will have good overhangs so keeping all the wood dry should not be a problem.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Jack

Don P

Soak it in borate, and/or a complete coating of a finish they cannot bite through, poly or spar varnish. Better have a drill handy!

snowmountain

Thank you Don. So if I submerged rafters in a tank of borate solution would that give truly long term protection? Or would I have to spray them periodically?

Thanks very much.

Jack

Don P

As long as the wood stays dry its a one time deal.

Thank You Sponsors!