iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone have a Kubota Sidekick? Finally Got One

Started by 21incher, March 24, 2021, 12:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samandothers

Ah man!  I hope you find one.  I was looking forward to the pictures.

gspren

My Kubota 400 RTV that I mentioned earlier has a gas Subaru engine with the belt drive and it's been flawless. I like Kubota diesels like I have on my BX 2670 for mowing and snowblowing where once you start it you run awhile but on on my RTV/UTV I start and stop frequently so I like the gas engine better for that. When pulling heavy loads use low range so as not to slip the belt.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Ventryjr

Never had a sidekick but my dad has a kubota 1100 and it's a work horse.  Had it since new been running hard for 10 years 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

farmfromkansas

I got the midsize ranger 570, and it will fit in a pickup truck.  Pull mine on my lawn mower trailer 5 x 9. Am getting the engine broke in, tried it for speed the other day and it will run 50mph. Seems the power really ramps up at higher rpms. Mine is the basic model.  Thinking about how to add a radio with outside speaker so I can hear it when fixing fence.  Not about to buy the Polaris version.  All their add ons are very expensive, they don't want you to know the specs for their oil so you can buy it at NAPA, so have to look at the Ranger forum.  They are all about selling you the proper oil and filters, so all the book has are part numbers.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

21incher

Quote from: farmfromkansas on April 06, 2021, 12:36:40 PM
I got the midsize ranger 570, and it will fit in a pickup truck.  Pull mine on my lawn mower trailer 5 x 9. Am getting the engine broke in, tried it for speed the other day and it will run 50mph. Seems the power really ramps up at higher rpms. Mine is the basic model.  Thinking about how to add a radio with outside speaker so I can hear it when fixing fence.  Not about to buy the Polaris version.  All their add ons are very expensive, they don't want you to know the specs for their oil so you can buy it at NAPA, so have to look at the Ranger forum.  They are all about selling you the proper oil and filters, so all the book has are part numbers.
Got a price on the striped down Polaris 1000 with EPS and it's $3200 more out the door then the equivalent Kubota so that is not an option. Just not worth it for a couple more HP and 10MPH faster speed. Also see where some of the Polaris1000s are having clutch problems with the new design. Waiting for the 2022 Kubota pricing and availability now because it looks much tougher then the Polaris to me and has the most parts of any UTV that are made in America today that is a plus to me. Not as pretty on the outside but it's what's inside that counts. 

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Walnut Beast

Kubota units are built well no question. I've had two Kubota units. There is no comparison against a Polaris on the trail or flat out speed. The Polaris dominates hands down 

SwampDonkey

Don't be rushed, buy what you want. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Walnut Beast

The Sidekick for what you get and the money savings seems like a pretty good deal. The Kubota I had was a open cab 900 RTV then a 1100 full cab. Built wise compared to the Polaris there is no comparison. The Kubota is way better. Mine were several years ago before they had the independent suspension on the rear. I'm sure the newer ones are a big improvement in capability in those models. The Sidekick is a little different animal. I looked at the Sidekick online and it seems pretty impressive. I wouldn't hesitate to get it plus the resale value down the road would be good 👍 

John Mc

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 06, 2021, 07:05:25 PMDon't be rushed, buy what you want

Good advice - especially these days where there is such a shortage of tractors, UTVs, and related equipment. I've not priced them lately, but if they are like anything else these days, I'm betting prices are through the roof (and if they aren't, they soon will be).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

21incher

This is crazy. Still trying  to get one. Was told call back the end of April and they would  start taking  orders. Called and was told line is shut down because  they ran out of engines so call back the end of May because  ordering  would  open up in June for orders of 2022s.  Called today was told call back the end of June and they might start  taking  orders then because  they can't find people that want to work on the line. My Kubota  dealer  told me they are having an extremely hard time getting any items made in the USA now because  of a labor shortage possibly caused by extra unemployment benefits still being handed out. Never had a hard time spending money  before.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

samandothers

Was at a Kubota dealer getting some filters for an RTV500 and saw one there .  It was bigger than I expected.  Nice looking ride.

SwampDonkey

I know those buggies, of any brand, are mighty handy. Used mine this week to pull a pallet drag across fresh topsoil for the lawn. Does a nice smooth job as long as you don't pack hard spots with heavy equipment. Sure beats a rake. :D

Yeah, I know the feeling having to wait wait wait, but sometimes that's just what you gotta do. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

farmfromkansas

More I use my Ranger 570 better I like it.  Handy little rig.  Fill it full of tools and chainsaws to build fence, along with wire and such.  Pull a 2 wire unroller, run in low and roll out new barb wire.  Also used it to pull a trailer with a wire winder, and worked good for that.  My helper loves to drive the thing.  When I started shopping, planned to get a Honda 700, but they had none in stock, said they did not know when they could get one, or what the price would be.  Seemed like they really did not want to sell any.  Thought the 3 speed automatic transmission would be better than a variable speed belt.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

tmarch

I traded a Polaris for a Can Am last fall and I will say so far it has worked a lot better.  Less expensive than the Polaris and built heavier as far as I can tell.  Had friend that traded a Kubota for a Can Am about the same time and he is happy too. 8)
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

21incher

Looks like I may finally get one. Dealer was able to post an order for 2 of the 2022's today. Hopefully end of July or beginning of Aug. Will have a definite confirmation about rebates in a couple weeks. Now to start widening my trails through the woods because it's a foot wider then my tractors.

21incher

Well thought  I would  update  this thread.  I ordered one last July when Kubota opened  the ordering window. Was supposed to be delivered  late September or early October. Never showed and Kubota just kept telling  my dealer they lied about  delivery timeframe a had no idea when it would  be made. My dealer has had no update or excuses from Kubota.  A couple  weeks ago I stopped  in to check for updates and there were still none but he would try to get more info because I am at the point I may switch brands soon. Today I finally  heard something.  The machine is made along with  many others and sitting  in a parking lot ( probably  rusting away from sitting so long. ) because they can't get tubing to build the roll cages. There is no date available and it probably won't  be this spring that the roll cages are fabricated. They will not ship machines without the cages and this is their complete RTV line not just Sidekicks. Any new orders will take over a year to ship. I am a little  confused as other brand side by sides are showing up in showrooms now with their roll cages. I think Kubota is lying and just concentrating on high profit equipment blowing off their original  commitments.  Kubota  used to be a reputable company but now thinks it's  better to lie and not communicate  with  their dealers and customers as dates slip. Been over a year now trying  to get one and it could be another year till I see one from Kubotas  response. Visiting  a Polaris  dealer  next week.

CCCLLC

I've been trying to locate a honda pioneer in NC. No luck. Not even a test drive. Liking the idea of a driveshaft  over a belt

Dakota

I have a 2018 Honda Pioneer 1000.  I love it.
Dave Rinker

SwampDonkey

I've seen guys with new Polaris SxS's every year throughout the pandemic.

I've had a bad taste in my mouth about Kabota for over 5 years. They aren't the company of 30 years ago. Not by a long shot.

For my needs a drive belt is much smoother, going across hummocky ground with my Ranger 570. A shaft would be a rodeo ride. :D

Hilltop366

In rough ground the issues I have noticed with the belt drive I rode in (a larger Yamaha not sure of the model) is that it required a lot more throttle to get moving even in low range then once moving the cvt would "up shift" even though you did not want to go faster because the next bump was only a few feet away so you ended up backing off the throttle to slow down then had to give it more throttle to get going again. The Honda Pioneer 520 I had drove will move at a lower engine speed and can be set in manual shift so it stays in the selected gear so it reduced the on/off throttle making a smoother ride in the horizontal direction the Yamaha had a much better riding suspension than the little Honda making it better in the vertical direction. A bit of apples and oranges comparison.

Not sure how the Polaris with the belt compares to these.

SwampDonkey

I've nothing to compare, only machine I've owned is a 570 Ranger. If I can help it, it will be the only machine for 25 years. I'm not riding any buggies after I'm 80. :D

21incher

I found a new 570 Ranger midsize, 2 -1000 premium Rangers, and 2 Generals today. Polaris is getting them out for spring. Can get on a list for a Mule or Pioneer and there are many of the Chinese and Korean models showing up in the next couple weeks.  I will give Kubota till the end of the month for updates but I doubt they will come through. We have Kioti, Mahindra, TYM, and LS tractor dealers in the area and their lots are loaded up for spring. Kubota is really losing out with empty dealer lots.

Otis1

I've got a 2015 Honda Pioneer 500 and love it. Bought the 500 because its about as wide as a 4 wheeler so it slides through the woods a lot easier than the bigger machines especially off trail. Mine is manual only, before they had the auto/ manual. It isn't going to win any races, but I can beat it up and it takes the abuse. Zero mechanical issues other than minor ones I caused. I might only ride it a mile or less a day but it's usually pretty rough, three skid plates so far I think. Another thing I like is that it comes as a base model machine that is easy to customize yourself without paying Honda prices for accessories. 

snowstorm

this is how a cvt works. Yamaha and Kawasaki use a cvt but its a little different in that there is always belt tension and a separate clutch when rpm increases engages. they say its better is it?? maybe maybe not. polaris and can am use a cvt more like what has been used in snowmobiles for 50 yrs. polaris came out with the p85 primary clutch in the 70's on sleds. it was way better then what the others had. that p85 is still used today. polaris has always done a better job with clutching. above idle speed the shive contacts the belt and it moves. the spring and weights control engagement and back shift. lets say you want taller tires or at high elevation just change weights and spring. try that with the auto trans or dual clutch honda. i have a polaris general at 5000 miles i put a new belt on. the new one was .003 wider . so pretty much no wear at all . also have a 900 ranger 7000 miles belt has never been off it. for engine braking there is a one way bearing on the clutch shaft. this cvt setup works very well and is by the cheapest to rebuild. it used to be $100 would buy all the wear parts. 

snowstorm

Quote from: 21incher on April 05, 2022, 08:10:16 PM
I found a new 570 Ranger midsize, 2 -1000 premium Rangers, and 2 Generals today. Polaris is getting them out for spring. Can get on a list for a Mule or Pioneer and there are many of the Chinese and Korean models showing up in the next couple weeks.  I will give Kubota till the end of the month for updates but I doubt they will come through. We have Kioti, Mahindra, TYM, and LS tractor dealers in the area and their lots are loaded up for spring. Kubota is really losing out with empty dealer lots.
if you are going to trail ride some the general. better seats and 100 hp part time trail ride and used it like a little truck the ranger. a ranger will ride better than the general at low speeds is easier to get in an out of if you do it alot. power steering is a must. if you dont get it you will wish you had. is a ranger better than a kubota or the others by far. no matter what you buy it should have turf mode it only powers 1 rear wheel will not tear up the grass. 

Thank You Sponsors!