The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Easy Sawmill Repair  (Read 523 times)

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Easy Sawmill Repair
« on: May 07, 2021, 06:26:54 PM »
   Earlier this week I pulled the cover off my mill and found the plastic fuel line connection was broken. Evidently it had rotated 90 degrees and gotten hung in and broken when I removed the cover.

Here is the connection at the tank with the broken piece still stuck in the  metal block.

Here is the broken piece still connected to the fuel line and the new replacement.

I picked up my new part today off the FedEx truck - I saw it parked at our local pharmacy and while my wife went inside I talked to the driver and she confirmed it was on the truck and got it for me and saved her a trip up the mountain.

To remove the broken piece I found an EZ out the right size and tapped it lightly into the open of the broken part and with a 3/8" end wrench it readily backed out. I thought about just hooking the EZ out to my cordless drill but felt this gave me better control.

EZ out started in the broken piece.  

EZ out with broken piece and end wrench.

Once the broken piece was removed I threaded the new fitting into the metal block on the tank and snugged it up with a 5/8" end wrench.

I removed and disposed of the broken coupling, re-connected the male end into the new female fitting and rotated the block back to the original location.

I wish all sawmill maintenance was this easy. BTW - while waiting for the part I was able to run the mill by simply opening the fuel cap and inserting the end of the line under the fuel surface but this is much easier and cleaner.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: Easy Sawmill Repair
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 07:23:27 PM »
nice Howard!
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline kelLOGg

• Senior Member x2
  • More is better but enough is best
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 06:50:21 AM »
Can you find a way to immobilize the plastic fitting? It looks like it is easy to break if the gas line is moved quickly or jerked. Nice repair job on your part.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw, setter, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Offline Dan_Shade

• Senior Member x2
  • I don't want to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Shade Custom Sawing
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 07:24:48 AM »
I replaced mine with small hydraulic disconnects. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 09:48:10 AM »
  I was looking at a way to strengthen it and there are no doubt plenty of ways to do that. Taping a small block under it would help. Once before I broke it but it seems like it was the other section. I am sure you could replace it with the fittings on an outboard motor tank and could even add a pump up bulb but I am not sure that would improve anything as it is a simple system. I am sure you could run a permanent hose and just leave the tank in place and fill it there but it is convenient to remove, fill and replace. When I do mobile overnight jobs I take the tank off at the end of the day and fill it on the way home or back to the site at the filling station.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Online Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 01:33:10 PM »
You mean nothing rolled over, fell off, or otherwise tried to kill you during this repair session?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 09:18:39 PM »
 think_not smiley_confused ::)
Howard Green

Offline Arcticmiller

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 01:25:50 AM »
Depending on the thread size of that block on the fuel tank, Id think about putting a Honda style marine quick connect fitting on it. They are simple, seal well and are metal. Kinda look like an airline connector for a compressor hose. Just my 2 cents. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Easy Blazer Brake Repair

Started by Jeff on General Board

43 Replies
Last post April 08, 2017, 05:03:05 PM
by red
xx
Easy way to generate sawmill quotes

Started by Stuart Caruk on Sawmills and Milling

12 Replies
Last post April 25, 2019, 05:14:32 PM
by longtime lurker
xx
Easy peasy sawmill bed (and other thrifty DIY ideas)

Started by Picky2016 on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post July 23, 2016, 06:28:36 AM
by Picky2016
xx
sawmill Service and Repair

Started by rweldon on Sawmills and Milling

12 Replies
Last post October 06, 2016, 10:38:18 PM
by Mt406