iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudfarmer

My stove has a pretty hard 16" cutoff or things get ugly, and other people also expect consistency but I am still bucking by hand (no processor) So I do it like Hilltop but for every block. Attaching things to the saw, marking separately, using a stick, eyeballing, none have worked out great for me whether too slow or cumbersome or bad eyeballing  ffcheesy

Been cleaning up dump truck loads of butts, shorts and offcuts that are in the way. Would like to fire the driver that just dumped them everywhere but then I would be out of work.

Hilltop366

I have only cut for myself and the boiler and splitter will go up to 24" so I do have a bit of lead way.

It probably would be different cutting to sell.

mudfarmer

Mr. Fred Fakename had three or four pieces that were longer than the rest out of a cord and he made sure I knew it  ffcheesy

Magicman

I have bucked many different lengths and can gauge the lengths well enough, but it is just so nice when they are all the same.  When we used an open fireplace I bucked @26"-28".  With a ledger stick I can fudge one way or the other with limb forks before I ever get there so that there are never any surprises.

My fireplace insert door opening is 19" so I mark @ 17".  I can easily handle anything from 14" to 20".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

My stove will take over 24 inches sideways, or 16 inches front to back.  It looks nice stacked on the rack on the back porch if they are somewhat uniform.  If the fire is raging the 16 inches front to back is easier to get in without a jam that holds the door open or get hot on the hands.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

NE Woodburner

Quote from: Magicman on June 11, 2024, 12:56:51 PMInverted tip marking paint that is made for marking underground utilities.
This is what the Mingo marker uses. There are different size wheels to mark the length you want. A ramp on the wheel triggers a spot of paint every time it comes around. I cut mine at 18", but I have wheels for other sizes. You can mark a whole log very quickly.

Magicman

I am not familiar with the Mingo, but I have a trigger pull "wand" that a can snaps into which is used for marking buried utilities without bending over.

Funny but my Florescent Green is the color used for marking sewer lines.  :wacky:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Hilltop366

It all looks the same length when it comes out of the stove. ffcheesy

NE Woodburner

Quote from: Hilltop366 on June 12, 2024, 04:50:03 PMIt all looks the same length when it comes out of the stove.
Similar to what Dad used to tell me when I complained about handling crooked firewood limbs as a kid - "it all makes straight ash".

We did everything by hand, so I much preferred splitting nice, straight grained oak or ash logs. He used to take every limb down to almost pencil sized. I drop trees and cut tops and pull the logs and large limbs out with my tractor and winch. I leave a lot of small stuff in the woods now and I often think about what Dad would have to say about that.

Magicman

This may not seem like too much for you less than 80 youngsters, but I was ready for a break after bucking these limbs.

IMG_5950.JPG
I went through 3 tanks of chainsaw gas getting it done.  Now I gotta load the tractor bucket and haul it to the woodpile for splitting.

IMG_5949~0.JPG
Another advantage of using a ledger stick.  Just stick it through the debris, mark, and then trim it all off when I come back bucking.

doc henderson

this is nice if a few folks are bucking.  I agree that after you have rounds laying on the ground, you can eyeball them.  also, you may fudge one-way or another with limbs and knots. ffsmiley

Magicman

Well, I did done it:

IMG_5954.JPG
The last bucket load of rounds about ready to go to the wood pile.  My Hand Tongs and Logrite Hookaroon "gathering tools" sneaked into the picture.

IMG_5956.JPG
Heck-of-a-whack of rounds ready to be split and/or wheel barrowed to the firewood shed.  Lotsa work for da old man.  :uhoh:

Weather permitting, I will be sawing Monday.

B.C.C. Lapp

mudfarmer try one of these.  Get em BOTH.  Green and red. On bright sunny days ya can't hardly see the red, but the green one only lasts half as long on the battery.  
I was skeptical but I use these and my cuts are all within a half inch of 16inchs now. 

https://westcoastsaw.com/products/firewood-prosizer?variant=43321892733158&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4MSzBhC8ARIsAPFOuyVXTH__2bIwW6BqUoXm_6CXkxQ_imKJzWCujKNaHoEpLuI1HhkG63oaAs3-EALw_wcB
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

jimbarry

Recent goings on in the wood yard, over the previous 30 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsRkf7HDlTw

mudfarmer

Hey thanks BCC that's pretty neat  :thumbsup:

cutterboy

Jim, that was fun. Thanks.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

woodroe

Sometimes its easier and saves a step to buck and split the wood where you find it. Especially when its smaller wood all in a tangle within 30' . Leaves the mess in the woods too, falling off bark in this case being mostly dead blowdowns.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Thank You Sponsors!