iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

the bags can be awkward and bulky.  the metal containers I can slide and dump from the back of a truck myself.  the point of the container should be that the end user wants to have them contained and moveable so they can manage the product.  If they cannot move the bags, then what is the point.  Just added expense and work.  If this was large in scale, they have the flat trucks with the forklift that loads onto the tail end of the truck, used by lumber yards.  not sure the average home run firewood company could make the umbers work unless it was used for multiple purposes.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

cutterboy

Today I took care of the red oak slabs from the logs I sawed the last few days.
There is a lot of good firewood in the slab rack.

Half done!

Now completely done! My poor slab rack is in it's last year. I have repaired it a couple times but it's now too rotten to fix. I'll have to build a new one this winter.

And stacked in the barn for the winter of 2025-2026.

Tomorrow up to the woods to cut and bring home some red maple logs.

Keep on cutting.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

B.C.C. Lapp

Looking good Cutter.     :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Wlmedley

That's some nice clean firewood Cutter.Wish it would cool down here a little so I could do something.100 degrees takes all the sap out of me.Been fighting yellow jackets in my woodshed and I think I finally got rid of them.I've never known of them to build nests in wood piles but I've had two this year.Maybe it's because ground is so dry.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

Magicman

That is a mighty fine rack/whack of firewood to show for your efforts Cutter.  :thumbsup:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cutterboy

It's time to sell firewood! Labor Day weekend is when I put my boxes of firewood and bags of kindling out. Usually I sell out in October but it's only 12 cord.

I put the wood out by 9:30 this morning and by noon had sold 5 bags of kindling.

Keep on cutting.....Cutter

g_man

Our 25/26 firewood has been out in the rain and humidity 'drying' since early May. Time to get it in the shed now.

gg

Magicman

Maybe sometime in the next three months it will get cool enough for me to split and stack mine.  That whack is ~15' wide and 10' deep.  Should last a couple of years.   :wacky:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

I only burn about 4 maybe 5 months out of a year which is between 4 to 5 cords a year .I had plans to finish off a 4 cord stack today but it rained last night .That's all ash,dry as popcorn .Maybe another 1-2 cords of oak to finish out and perhaps a couple of cottonwood .It takes exactly two cords of cottonwood to equal one of oak but it still produces heat .
My favorite is EAB killed dead ash about 5-7 inches,wind blown .It doesn't need to be split except to get enough flats on one side to build up the ends of the stacks .Been doing them that way since I was a teenager and that was the last half of the last century .

SwampDonkey

Got enough wood here to keep two houses going.  ffcheesy Will be double that by the end of November when next years wood is cut and hauled.  ffsmiley
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

g_man

I'm just starting to get back in the woods after all the wet this summer. The other day I went by this apple tree in a woods opening and noticed it had the top of a maple blow-down tangled in it's own top.

Looking from the other direction.

The apple tree is a little mangy but it is a wildlife magnet, and I thought I should clean it up a bit. It has had a hard life and I have done this before and have seen it split by heavy snow. It takes a setback then recovers. I used to have a bow stand right there.

I got everything onto the ground and pulled all the limb wood out of the top. (That's my hat hanging on the apple tree.)

I winched everything bigger than 3" or 4" up to trail side and ended up with a small pile of firewood which I will get out of the woods later when it is dryer - hopefully. That's the apple tree in the background.

I get a large percentage of our firewood by doing jobs like this and trail maintenance. Time consuming but I love being in the woods

gg

Magicman

I hates messes and it looks like you are doing a good job handling that mess.  ffcool

SwampDonkey

Great save on the old apple tree. At my grandfather's (actually his cousins lot), there were old grown up fields his grandfather cleared and his uncle farmed. An old woods road was put in in the 60's along the brook at the gully bottom. At the edge of one of the old fields was always an apple tree. The beavers around the brook felled popple once in awhile right close to that old apple tree, big tall popple to, like close to 90 foot tall and they seem taller on those hillsides. I bet that old apple tree is still alive. The white pine growing on the old fields, and there are a lot of'm, are mostly junk trees from weevil and suppression. The really old pine on undisturbed land survived 2 fires. Some are fire scarred. ffsmiley  There is an apple trees near my woodlot on land that was cleared and let grow up, loaded with red apples this year. I have lots of bears, saw one a couple weeks back near a red oak tree. I know he was checking for acorns, they tear the limbs out of the tree for the nuts. Looks like a big rats nest in the top after they get done. ffcheesy

With all them ferns on your land, it probably doesn't take a lot of rain to get greasy out there.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

cutterboy

I love it when this happens.

Cut a tree down and the butt end stays up in the air which makes it easy to cut into firewood lengths. :smiley2:

GRANITEstateMP

Got 2 more cords delivered this weekend between family events.  One of those really nice, not summer / not fall weekends

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

B.C.C. Lapp

I don't know about you guys, but when I get into stuff this size it just slows me down.
I like em 10 to 16 inch is perfect.  This one was a hair over 18 in.   In the end its all wood but you work pretty hard for every stick when they get this heavy.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

cutterboy

GRANITE, nice load of wood. This is our busy time.

BCC, I know what you mean about the big ones. It seems that every year I end up with a few logs I don't want to saw into lumber so I cut them into firewood lengths. Sometimes I hand split those in half before they go on the splitter.

g_man

For blocks that size I take an extra step too. I don't like to, or can't safely, handle them on the horizonal beam. So I break them down into a size I can candle and throw them on the pile of nice sized stuff. I usually use my splitter in vertical mode but once in awhile in appreciation of days of yore I use a maul and wedges especially if it is ash.

gg

Hilltop366

This is were a log lifter and some larger tables shine, keeps everything at a comfortable working height and saves the back.

For the larger blocks I have an idea that a vertical splitter (at a comfortable working height not on the ground) would be easier than horizontal.

I have some ideas on making one, maybe some day I get around to it.

Thank You Sponsors!