iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making it through another year '21-'23

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 17, 2021, 08:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on April 02, 2022, 09:36:49 PMI hate painting anything and could not care less about shades and nuances of color.
:D.  You should be pleased.  You have created a whole new color, Yankee brown.  You should be proud of it :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Old Greenhorn

Actually, I think you guys created the new color. I just painted it brown. :D What's in a name anyway. A rose by any other name would still stink and prick your fingers, right? ;D

Another drizzly day, so this morning I updated my website again with a page on the table system. If anybody wants to see it, it can be found HERE. I also added a disclaimer on the drilling bench page that it is not intended for use as a sawbuck or to hold 200# logs. Apparently that needed to be in print. ;D I am getting better at the website work. This time it only took 2 hours to create the page and add all the associated links from the other pages and add it to the main menu and do some other edits. When we get it rolling with a bunch of people working around them, we will shoot some sort of video. John thinks I will sell a bunch of 'em. I think the market is too tiny for folks that could use it, want one, and can't (won't) make it themselves. We shall see. It wouldn't be a bad thing if I was dead wrong. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Ljohnsaw

Nice!  But I thought you had the name already - Loginator!  Just an edit.  Where you say the unit is 9 foot long and the table is 8 foot.  You have an extra foot in there - "8' foot".  Need to loose the '

So is unpainted an extra $50? ;) :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Old Greenhorn

Thanks! I made the correction and added a clarification. I don't think anybody would order it unpainted, but I guess I would knock some off it that happened. But who doesn't like plain old brown? ;D Given my love for the painting work, I might give it to them for 30% off. :D (Just kidding, sort of.)
 Now that the design is nailed down, I paint all the parts before assembly, then just touch up when it's completed. It's a lot faster that way.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Ljohnsaw

Another quick fix.  The link you have to the "Log Drilling Bench" takes you to the FF's Bus stop/Deer blind/Woodshed that WV Sawmiller started.  Ooops!  That'll confuse the mushroom crowd!

The links at the bottom of the page for the rest of your website just take you to the top of the Loginator page. :-\
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Old Greenhorn

OH MY! Now that is funny. I have no idea how the heck THAT happened! (DO NOT tell Howard!) I have fixed that now also. Man I am glad somebody is keeping an eye on me and my fat fingers! Thanks.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: ljohnsaw on April 03, 2022, 01:51:25 PM

The links at the bottom of the page for the rest of your website just take you to the top of the Loginator page. :-\
Sorry, just saw this, Those aren't even supposed to be links, there were problems with htem so I took all the links out. For some reason, they bring you to the top of whatever page you are on. That is going to require some digging to fix and I suspect a bug in the WordPress software and templates I use. I will have to dig into that later. I may just delete that whole thing. It is part of the site footer, not the individual page. Thanks for the heads up.

Ljohnsaw

So, I went to the drilling station page and watched the video.  I guess the old teacher adage applies.  "Do as I say, not as I do!" ;) 

Somewhere you wrote to grab the far side of the log and turn toward you.  That makes perfect sense as the weight is transferred to the wheels and allows the log to roll.  It also places the holes in front of you so you can see how to alternate the drill pattern.  In the video, you awkwardly roll the opposite direction so you end up having to lean over to see where the holes are to alternate.  You need a fancy @21incher or @YellowHammer video edit with dancing words and arrows to let the viewer know not to watch how you did it!
John Sawicky

Old Greenhorn

Guilty as charged. It's a brand new thing for me, and I am working out the terms and techniques. I am learning that most users have their own slant on the details. One fella that bought it has another person stand at the end and do the turning so he is drilling full time and he says he can do a full log in 20-30 seconds. 
 It will get refined as we go. The first workshop where we get to see a lot of different folks use it will likely teach us a lot. Most folks in those workshops have zero experience with power tools and handwork, but some do. We will see how it goes and do a video of that.

WDH

Quote from: ljohnsaw on April 03, 2022, 01:09:48 PM
So is unpainted an extra $50? ;) :D
:D :D :D  I am not gonna say anything, not a word :)         ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

aigheadish

The Loginators look great Tom and I, too, think that should be the name.

Man, after seeing the Loginator in action it's pretty incredible and man that drill and bit really do the job! I didn't think it was that fast of a process but you tore through it! 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Old Greenhorn

Well I think we are settling in on 'Loginator' for the drilling bench. I think this is the item that will have 'some' sales. My partner in crime has surveyed his groupies and they have come up with 'Log Inoc Dock' for the full system. I guess we will go with that. I really don't see selling any, or very few of the full systems due to cost, storage size, and the lack of folks that run that many logs in a session. For classes it is ideal.

Danny, are you implying that the benches look better unpainted and should therefore cost more that way? >:( For shame. I know you are not 'saying anything' but I think you just did. ;D

I gotta get some work done.

21incher

After  this discussion  I think it should be called the Northern Brown Loginator that is also offered in southern blue pine for an additional  $100. You guys are ready for the comedy club.  :D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: 21incher on April 04, 2022, 03:25:51 PM
After  this discussion  I think it should be called the Northern Brown Loginator that is also offered in southern blue pine for an additional  $100. You guys are ready for the comedy club.  :D
Is southern Blue Pine the same as pre-mildewed pine? I have no plans to offer any other color except 'unpainted'.
 As for the comedy club circuit, I doubt it. The are too few people that are properly versed in sarcasm or the finer art of sarcastic innuendo. Most folks go from laughing to righteous indignation at the speed of light these days and never slow down in between. The remaining folks that do appreciate it are largely members here anyway. :D :)

WV Sawmiller

I don't know whether to laugh or get mad at that remark. :D

I did finish my outhouse shed today, well except for the corner molding which is just 4 pairs of 1X4's screwed together into 90 degree corners and attached at the corner. I finished the door and roof today which went together quickly. I have just about used up all my Norway Spruce stock and need to saw several stock logs I got from my neighbor and I need to saw some stock poplar 2X4's.

I'll build another seat tomorrow then call the guy to come get it.

I thought about painting it Yankee Brown as an appropriate outhouse color but I'll let him paint it or not himself. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 04, 2022, 09:36:11 PM
  I don't know whether to laugh or get mad at that remark. :D

I have absolutely NO idea which comment you are referring to, but it's probably best that you just laugh at it and move on. :D
 Glad you are poking along and moving out products. I need to do the same, but I am betwixt stuff just now.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on April 04, 2022, 03:57:28 PMThe are too few people that are properly versed in sarcasm or the finer art of sarcastic innuendo. Most folks go from laughing to righteous indignation at the speed of light these days and never slow down in between. 
Could it have been this one? ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Old Greenhorn

If we had a thread titled "I got lucky today" I would finally have a post for it, but we don't, so I'll just stick this in here.
I am stuck with taking the wife on her errands to to her 'things' she does and it is messing up my planning, but I guess that will keep me thinking about getting her van fixed soon. SO yesterday I had to take her to the bank then off to one of her quilting groups. It messed up my morning routine enough that I didn't stoke the shop stove before we left. I got home home around 10:30 and went out and threw some wood in and opened up the vents. I put some tools in the truck and other stuff for the mill, got the mail, went back and checked the stove, it had re-lit itself so I put a bunch more wood in to hold for the 4 or 5 hours I would be at the mill, then went to get in the truck to leave. As I lifted my leg to get in the truck, I recalled that I had not shut down the vents on the stove for an idle burn. I almost let it go, but I turned around and went back in the shop. There was a haze in the air and I could smell that distinctive odor of steel getting really hot. Just then I noticed the smoke pipe (new stainless) at the stove exit was cherry red. There was some smoke pushing out through the elbow joints and some red glowing sparks at those slip joints. "Well, this is different, I haven't seen this in a while" was my first thought. I shut down the stove vents, grabbed a PW extinguisher to have it handy and waited a bit. The pipe temp was close to 500° at the stove exit, but it calmed down in a few minutes. What concerned me was the sparks and smoke at the joints. Its the end of the season and some parts could use replacement and I wasn't sure they would hold under the stress. So I left it shut down and went to the mill.
When I got home, the wood was still smoldering, so I threw it in a steel bucket and put it outside and left the stove open so that it could burn out cold.

Today I took the chimney apart. The 45° elbows both fell apart during the process as I expected. I had a bunch of creosote that fell down into the stove top. I inspected the other parts and they held up well to the higher temps. I ordered 2 replacement elbows, but this time in Stainless and also got a 4' section because that will go next and I might as well have it on hand. Stainless costs a bunch more but I have resolved to make it all stainless, that black stuff is just a bit better than cheap tin. I'll get it all cleaned up and get it ready before the parts show up in a few days.

So yeah, I got lucky. I could have lost the shop. But I have pretty good habits and not 'letting it go for later' and that's likely what saved me. That, and having worked dozens of chimney fires that went bad. Just another day, right?

After I spent my money, I decided to fix one of those things that annoys the heck out of me. When I go down to the mill or go to a local job, I back the truck up to the shop and throw in the tools I may need for the day's work. Now I have a truck box that usually has one saw, some gas, and bar oil along with a basic tool box. But that stuff is not always in there and there are usually other tools I throw in the bed for that days job. Even with just a 2 mile run, those tools or supplies slide all over in that plastic bed and I have to go fishing around to get them back out. I have wanted to make a box from junk wood for over a year now. I had been bringing home those off cuts from the mill that I get when I do a 'saw to bed' setting and take 1/2-5/8" off the top. Seemed to good to burn. I also had a bunch of 2x4 drops from those benches I just finished. I had no plan, just 'make a box'. So I did.

I only had 2 hinges, looked for 3, no soap. This was a 'use what you got' project. Don't need a hasp. no plans to lock it. Just to keep the stuff where I can reach it.

If I get caught in a heavy rain or snow, it should keep most of the water off. It will be especially helpful when I bring lube water to the mill. I take it in one gallon jugs, about 7-10 at a time and those jugs roll all over the bed, full, or empty coming back.
I painted this one 'compost toilet brown' and it took longer to paint the parts than it did to put it together, or even cut everything. I don't believe I ever mentioned it, but I hate painting. But I think the paint MIGHT make it last a bit longer.
Another rain day tomorrow it looks like and no idea what I am doing yet. I may bang around the shop and do some cleaning up or other improvements. The bench is loaded with junk and I do have spring shores to do. I should get that water pump hooked up, I think it may be safe now from a hard freeze.
Just another day.

WDH

Old Greenhorn

No Danny, this is different paint. I went to HD and asked for "Southern Compost Toilet Brown" but they didn't have it. They told me they don't paint compost toilets down south. But they did come up with 'Compost Toilet Brown" which is apparently popular up in more civilized Northern climates. :D :)

Nebraska

I like the box, I have a little White Oak and Red Cedar and I could make something  similar to replace the rubber maid locking tote that holds my travel disaster  kit in the back of the truck.   It would look better and I could build it to fit the space better. Just never thought about it... :)

WV Sawmiller

That Northern compost toilet brown paint is probably handy for those wayward members with questionable and erratic accuracy who keep missing, or I should say hitting, the seat.

Kind of like the old admiral who got a semaphore message there were four enemy ships heading their way. He told his aid "Go get my red coat so if I am wounded the troops will not know and lose heart." The aid came back with his coat and said "Admiral, the comm officer misread the message and there are 400 enemy ships approaching." The admiral told his aid "Go back and get my brown trousers too." :D

Howard Green

bitternut

How come you painted that nice box purple?

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!