iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Timber on Netflix

Started by nybhh, July 09, 2021, 06:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

:D I watched some of it having been involved in logging but tired of the drama, particularly his verbal abuse. Cutting his own road around the restricted bridge on Crown land was a bit much, that would get him shut down and a court date.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

terrifictimbersllc

Can anyone tell me why he got the $1 million penalty that he his trying to pay off with the logs that are "worth their weight in gold" ?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Old Greenhorn

Although I enjoy this show as it is, the editing of the story is very inconsistent. Given the details we were, it would seem like this is something they could appeal so I am guessing there is a lot we don't know, because he plans on paying it.
 They also spent a lot of time on that "Seacrest" and we never found out why, out of the blue, he buys another boat with likely even more problems(and no keys). Stuff like that is annoying for the person watching and paying attention. That whole bucket full of drama on the cracking transom and then they launch right into another crazy heavy pull. Either it's a danger or not, pick one. ;D I also noticed that puppy grew up pretty dang quick!
 I guess you have to let stuff like that go or it will make you nuts.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

terrifictimbersllc

In spite of all that I think there is a lot about it that is realistic, and some of it particular to us sawyers, which is why I enjoy watching it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

thecfarm

I am "watching" it. 
Kinda like a few times I "watched" them catch alligators. They mentioned the alligator weighted 500 pounds and 2 men picked it up easy and put it in the back of the truck.  ???
I wonder about the prices sometimes. But I can see them getting that much for one log too. At them prices. and the many that he got like that, he could be done logging in one year and be on the Forbes list of richest men.  :D 
I do walk out of the room and get something to drink or eat and just let it play. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

aigheadish

I'm only a few episodes into the 2nd season and here are my guesses... I think they likely knew that the penalty was there at the end of last season. A million bucks at $6000 worth of logs per day is 166+ days and he makes it sound like they'll pay it off no problem. They are on the same island as the TV show "Alone" and while they seem to be logging on the south end, where "Alone" appears to be on the north end, I can't imagine there are 166 good weather days up there in a year. 

I also don't understand why you wouldn't do driftwood logging a lot more often, the overhead looks substantially less than up in the mountains, not to mention the danger. I know there are only so many logs but how generally 'easy' it looks I'd be going after the big hemlock and other stuff too... No worries of million dollar fines!

The dramatization of these shows is rough. I understand you want some entertainment value but I'd be willing to bet there are some utubers out there eating Netflix's lunch on viewers, and they are out there doing real stuff. Problem there is you can't find a production company to float you a million dollar budget and camera operators and all that junk.

I'm with ttllc- there is enough interesting to watch, even though some of it seems like bunk.

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Old Greenhorn

On that driftwood logging, I don't think the yield is nearly as good as the lead on. Looking at the logs as he was whipping out estimated values and seeing the holes and pockets and some of the logs might yield a 4x4 and some side wood. They show precious little usable good video on technical issues, but sometimes there is enough to see what the solution is if you are versed in the equipment. Yet the narrator makes it sound like the end of time is coming when I am thinking "that is going to take 2 hours to fix or work around". Sure enough, they come up with a 'miraculous save' to the problem and I roll my eyes. But we are not the average watcher and there is the disconnect. If you or I edited that, it would be an entirely different show, but likely boring for the general public.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

beenthere

Best is to just turn the sound off (mute) and watch the scenery.
From the posts about this show, sounds similar to the Survivor shows and Ice Road trucking shows. But they have an audience that also enjoys them.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kantuckid

Quote from: Mooseherder on August 03, 2021, 07:15:40 AM
I watched the rest of the season last night.   More people will want to get into the business of 30 thousand dollar logs after watching the series. :D
I think that already happened? Take a hard look on FB groups what with lots of new mill owners and daily rash of slab questions and what tree is this? not to the level of here where the questions are more valid, etc.. 
I've been holding off the Big Timber show as much of reality TV isn't very "real" for me. This thread plus several Son's who watched now has caught my interest-but that's after we finish watching Longmire all over again... :D I'm a sucker for a realistic cowboy sheriff. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

alco424

Something to keep in mind about the pricing, is that they're in Canada, so the dollar is worth a different amount. No that doesn't explain all of it, but it helps to explain some of it.

dougtrr2

I watch it and overall enjoy it.  But I had hard time watching him abusing his equipment, and continuing to abuse it when it was failing.  Just doesn't make sense.

Doug in SW IA

Thank You Sponsors!