iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Im in another pickle with Big Bob

Started by Bruno of NH, July 20, 2021, 04:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gere Flewelling

Where I work we have a 2000 model year Volvo L70D loader that we bought new.  It has has hundreds of operators learn how to run it over the years.  Many with no common sense :-X.  This machine has been used for snow plowing, dirt work, log loading, road maintenance, and to move machinery around.  It currently has 14,000 + hours on the meter and has never had an engine repair.  It has a transmission repair a couple of years ago, which was an external computer issue.  It has it's second set of tire on it that are good for another year or two.  The machine looks rough but still gets used daily.  We keep it greased and change the oil regularly and that's about it.  I think you could use it or a machine like it with great success at your operation.
I worked at a construction equipment dealer back in the 80's where we sold Allis Chalmers and the Fiat-Allis loaders that almost never lasted more than 4,000 hours without an engine and or transmission rebuild.  With that experience to look back on, I am truly amazed at how well this old Volvo has held up.  We have been buying Cat equipment lately here at work.  It has been against my better judgement, but out of my control.  We have mechanical issues almost daily with our tracked skid steer, agricultural tele-handler, and small excavator.  The old Volvo loader just keeps on plugging away.  I don't know if newer Volvo's with tier 4 engines are as bad as the Cats, but if you can find an older Volvo loader you might have a machine you could make some money with.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

stavebuyer

Quote from: Gere Flewelling on September 19, 2021, 07:22:42 AM
Where I work we have a 2000 model year Volvo L70D loader that we bought new.  It has has hundreds of operators learn how to run it over the years.  Many with no common sense :-X.  This machine has been used for snow plowing, dirt work, log loading, road maintenance, and to move machinery around.  It currently has 14,000 + hours on the meter and has never had an engine repair.  It has a transmission repair a couple of years ago, which was an external computer issue.  It has it's second set of tire on it that are good for another year or two.  The machine looks rough but still gets used daily.  We keep it greased and change the oil regularly and that's about it.  I think you could use it or a machine like it with great success at your operation.
I worked at a construction equipment dealer back in the 80's where we sold Allis Chalmers and the Fiat-Allis loaders that almost never lasted more than 4,000 hours without an engine and or transmission rebuild.  With that experience to look back on, I am truly amazed at how well this old Volvo has held up.  We have been buying Cat equipment lately here at work.  It has been against my better judgement, but out of my control.  We have mechanical issues almost daily with our tracked skid steer, agricultural tele-handler, and small excavator.  The old Volvo loader just keeps on plugging away.  I don't know if newer Volvo's with tier 4 engines are as bad as the Cats, but if you can find an older Volvo loader you might have a machine you could make some money with.
The  "D" series was legendary and the Volvo "E" series was the last of the great ones. The G series had lots of Regen related issues. The H's are improved over the G: but like everything else computer controlled even the dealers have trouble figuring out the shutdowns. The system is now stacked against running anything new past warranty.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: mike_belben on September 18, 2021, 07:55:32 PM
Letting a machine you own be broke is to take an almost total depreciation hit.  So fixing it is like getting paid.  Big bob in running shape is a $10k machine.
I'm not saying don't get it running. Fix the starter and the bare minimum to get it running. Limp it by until he can upgrade.
I'm saying don't dump thousands on an injector pump, engine rebuild, windows, etc. Because with all that work he will have spent 10k on a machine that is still worth 10k. 
And after he spends 10k on it and an obsolete hydraulic pump fails he will have 10k into a 800 dollar hunk of scrap.

mike_belben

Im with you.  Its a fine backup machine.   A man needs at least two of every tool right?
Praise The Lord

Bruno of NH

I will be looking to up grade but I'm going the Yellowhammer route.
Fix this and wait till new inventory gets better and more used machines hit the market for less money.
I don't think I would buy anything Cat or John Deere the dealerships around this area are pretty proud of themselves. 
I don't see things with inventory getting better any time soon.
I did saw 4 days last week.
My part time helper the fire Lt. Used his tractor to load the deck and move slabs.
The deck is full up sawn units as his tractor can't pick them up. I hope for a better week.
This year I have been blessed with great help. So all's not bad. I wake up every morning with a good out look on the day. Could be much worse.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

stavebuyer

Quote from: Bruno of NH on September 19, 2021, 01:06:19 PM
I will be looking to up grade but I'm going the Yellowhammer route.
Fix this and wait till new inventory gets better and more used machines hit the market for less money.
I don't think I would buy anything Cat or John Deere the dealerships around this area are pretty proud of themselves.
I don't see things with inventory getting better any time soon.
I did saw 4 days last week.
My part time helper the fire Lt. Used his tractor to load the deck and move slabs.
The deck is full up sawn units as his tractor can't pick them up. I hope for a better week.
This year I have been blessed with great help. So all's not bad. I wake up every morning with a good out look on the day. Could be much worse.
Most tractors will pick up more with their 3pt than with the FEL. Cheap 3pt hitch forks with a hydro top-link can be very handy for lumber packs in a pinch. Won't load a trailer truck but will load goosenecks and car haulers and move things away from the mill.

Thank You Sponsors!