iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Learning Curve and Limited Real Estate: VB-Milling Small Suburban HM126

Started by VB-Milling, July 26, 2021, 04:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VB-Milling

Keeping the momentum going....

Finish welded the winch post and trimmed the fenders a little bit (one was rubbing the tire). Prepped and painted the fenders, the winch post, the winch post base, and the mounting locations of the jacks and the fenders.  I guess that means I started painting the trailer LOL.

HM126

VB-Milling

Amazing how much things improve aesthetically with some paint...

HM126

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

VB-Milling

Toying with the idea of adding some tongue storage.  Ideally something 30x22x6 inches and weather resistant.  I have a HF Apache case as a stand-in, but its way too small.  It would be for straps, chains, winch controller, maybe some spare parts for the mill, frequently used tools.

I was thinking of building something, but I like the idea of less weight with plastic.  Aluminum would be good, but I don't have anything at the moment that can do TIG.  Any products anyone has seen that fit the bill?  I looked at gun cases and storage totes, but nothing in the right sizes.

EDIT:

Might have a winner after searching a while longer.  Ordered and should be here Thursday to have a looksie.
HM126

VB-Milling

HM126

SawyerTed

You've got to be careful dependent upon your state's trailer tag requirements.  In NC a sawmill is a portable piece of equipment being moved from on off road location to another - it doesn't require a tag.  If you put stuff on the sawmill to transport the stuff it becomes a trailer and requires a tag.  Much would depend on if and how firmly your state enforces such requirements.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

VB-Milling

Quote from: SawyerTed on October 19, 2021, 04:29:46 PM
You've got to be careful dependent upon your state's trailer tag requirements.  In NC a sawmill is a portable piece of equipment being moved from on off road location to another - it doesn't require a tag.  If you put stuff on the sawmill to transport the stuff it becomes a trailer and requires a tag.  Much would depend on if and how firmly your state enforces such requirements.  
Good to point out.  I have no immediate need/desire to trailer the mill anywhere other than out to the driveway.  The trailer box would just be for mill yard convenience.
From the little bit of research I've done thus far, if I go the legal trailer route, I'll need lights, reg/plates and a safety inspection by the state police. 
HM126

SETexan

That'll be a nice trailer when it's done. What paint did you go with? I may have read it but don't remember. I'm hoping to have mine done within 2 weeks, then working on ramps and winch setup. 
HM130MAX on home built trailer
L3940 Kubota

VB-Milling

HM126

Southside

Technically I think you already crossed that line since you started the build with an actual, purpose built, trailer frame, complete with a VIN #, and put the sawmill onto it.  Likely nobody would look at it twice if it were just the sawmill, BUT, should you get into a serious accident or something like that, then the sharks ambulance chasing, radio advertising, attorneys, would be all over you.     
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

VB-Milling

Quote from: Southside on October 19, 2021, 10:09:01 PM
Technically I think you already crossed that line since you started the build with an actual, purpose built, trailer frame, complete with a VIN #, and put the sawmill onto it.  Likely nobody would look at it twice if it were just the sawmill, BUT, should you get into a serious accident or something like that, then the sharks ambulance chasing, radio advertising, attorneys, would be all over you.    
Well, one of the trailers has a VIN  :D
I've been wondering how its all going to shake out eventually with the state police inspection seeing as how I've taken two trailers and made them one.  One was titled and registered with a VIN at one point and the other one had already started to have been modified, and has no title or VIN.  I have bills of sales for both.
Your second point about if something should happen is pretty much the reason I don't want to tow it anywhere....the law of diminishing returns and the "what if" factor.
HM126

VB-Milling

Got back to sawing again today. Put all the mill trailer improvements to the test and so far everything is working well. Sawed some Paulownia and some white oak monsters. White oak pieces are less than 6ft long, but at max diameter for the mill so it's been a challenge. Hit some big nails in one of the white oak yard trees.

HM126

VB-Milling

Got the battery box installed and the winch and winch post back on. Also picked up this ammo crate that I think I'm going to use as my utility box for straps and tools and such.

Liking those painted fenders!

HM126

btulloh

Making progress on the fab and making some sawdust too.  Life is all about balance!  Good to saw some lumber, after all you didn't just buy the mill so you could spend all your time making improvements.  :) :) 

What are you doing for toe boards?  Did I miss that part?
HM126

Southside

For future reference if you see blue stain in the butt of a log, especially oak, she is hiding some metal in her.  With that log being older it may not have been possible to see it at all but with fresh cut ones it's easy to spot.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

VB-Milling

Quote from: btulloh on October 21, 2021, 09:30:15 PM
Making progress on the fab and making some sawdust too.  Life is all about balance!  Good to saw some lumber, after all you didn't just buy the mill so you could spend all your time making improvements.  :) :)

What are you doing for toe boards?  Did I miss that part?
So true. I need to abide by the "work in progress" adage. I have a tendency to want everything finished as soon as possible.
You didn't miss the toe board. I haven't really decided yet. Part of me wants to just buy the one from Woodland Mills and be done, the other part of me sees mobile home jacks on OfferUp going for $30 with much potential. I know I want it moveable/relocatable and likely powered by an impact or maybe a treadmill motor.
Suggestions welcomed. Maybe a link to either your DIY version or your favorite from someone else's 
HM126

btulloh

It doesn't take a lot of jack to handle the toe board duty, so you'll have a lot of inexpensive choices. These little scissor jacks are just fine. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-ton-scissor-jack-66907.html

And these little trolley jacks are excellent also. 

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/big-red-hydraulic-trolley-jack-2-ton

(The little trolley jack has turned out to be real useful around here for all sorts of small lifting chores.)

Either of these can be used as is while deciding on a more integrated scheme. (I'm still just using them as is while waiting for a window to integrate something.)

There are many many threads here on toe board design and a lot of good ideas. A search for existing threads would be very useful. 
HM126

VB-Milling

Quote from: Southside on October 21, 2021, 09:35:05 PM
For future reference if you see blue stain in the butt of a log, especially oak, she is hiding some metal in her.  With that log being older it may not have been possible to see it at all but with fresh cut ones it's easy to spot.
That's a good reminder. After I hit the metal, I remembered that I took a picture of the butt of the log when I picked it up 18months ago to remind myself it had blue stain. A lot of good that did eh?
HM126

btulloh

Just remembered - one of the more interesting solutions I've seen was by Yellowhammer. He salvaged the pump and cylinder from a boat steering and used it to power the toe boards or clamp or maybe both. The pump is driven by hand so not an elaborate deal. Pretty cool. No shortage of boats near you so finding a donor boat could be easy.

YH lt15 mods: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=53476.0
HM126

VB-Milling

Quote from: btulloh on October 22, 2021, 12:03:39 PM
Just remembered - one of the more interesting solutions I've seen was by Yellowhammer. He salvaged the pump and cylinder from a boat steering and used it to power the toe boards or clamp or maybe both. The pump is driven by hand so not an elaborate deal. Pretty cool. No shortage of boats near you so finding a donor boat could be easy.

YH lt15 mods: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=53476.0

I'm liking all those mods!  I'll have to add them to my list.  I'm already looking through my junk bins to see if I have any wheels I can use for rollers on the backstops.  Seems like such an obvious mod now that's I've seen it.  Thanks for the link.
HM126

VB-Milling

Some updates from this past weekend.  Got a fair amount of work done.  Still trying to dial in my work flow, but things are progressing.

Freed these roller tables from attic storage, put them together and put them in service.  My wife and I moved a stack of cedar from the drying area to the garage in about 5 mins using the tables and minimal effort.  It was great!  I got them for free about a year ago.  They've been waiting for their moment.

Finished milling the two 26"+ diameter short white oak logs I had and stacked the lumber.  In the process of stacking, I reorganized and found some efficiencies in what was already stacked.  That allowed me to go higher and recoup some space for more stacks in the future.

Got a piece of paulownia on the mill ready to go.  Maybe get to it after work some time this week.

My budget "log turner" in freeze frame form.

Mods to add to the list and get done quickly...rollers on the backstops, daisy chaining all the backstops together, fabricating lighter log ramps, moveable toe board and dust chute/dust collection of some kind.

HM126

Southside

Got a few listings for land in the Stoney Creek area today. Want me to forward them to you?  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

VB-Milling

Quote from: Southside on October 25, 2021, 12:02:23 PM
Got a few listings for land in the Stoney Creek area today. Want me to forward them to you?  :D

I've got about 40 properties saved in Zillow around the Buffalo Junction/Clarksville area.  Already talked to my realtor and the bank...stay tuned.  Not a fast moving train, but something will happen  :D
HM126

Wudman

Quote from: VB-Milling on October 25, 2021, 12:56:10 PM
Quote from: Southside on October 25, 2021, 12:02:23 PM
Got a few listings for land in the Stoney Creek area today. Want me to forward them to you?  :D

I've got about 40 properties saved in Zillow around the Buffalo Junction/Clarksville area.  Already talked to my realtor and the bank...stay tuned.  Not a fast moving train, but something will happen  :D
Get to that neighborhood and all time will turn to fishing.  I bought a spot on Bluestone Creek about 15 years ago.  It delayed the house building by ten years.......Sold it and built the house as friends were dropping dead from too much partying.  It was a good ten years, but had to move on.   ::)
Wud
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

VB-Milling

Good to know about that area @Wudman

It was only a starting point.  All we have at this point for criteria is minimum acreage and within 200 miles of VA Beach, and even those can be dynamic as time goes on.

I suspect not much will happen in the next 18 months.  We have an MLS alert set up with our realtor to give us an idea of how the market is changing and what's available.  Not in a rush.

Any recommendations for areas within VA/NC, shout 'em out!
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!