iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OT--String Trimmer Won't Idle Long

Started by GaTrapper, August 06, 2021, 09:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaTrapper

I'm sorry if this is a little off topic.

I have a Stihl FS131 string trimmer.  Its maybe 2-3 years old. It gets used frequently during the growing season and chills out during the winter.  I only run non-ethanol in the machine. During the winter I crank it up every 2 weeks and let it run for a bit.

Currently, it cranks up easily and runs great. The issue involves idling. If I'm trimming and need to set the trimmer down for a minute, the machine will shut off within a minute or so. I changed the air filter and I am still experiencing this problem.

How can I correct this?

sawguy21

Try turning up the idle speed to just below where the head starts turning. The idle mix may need to be leaned out a bit as well.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

tawilson

A plugged up spark arrestor has been the culprit for me a couple times.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

btulloh

Amen on the spark arrestor. Easy to overlook but can cause all sorts of symptoms. 
HM126

Tom King

The spark arrester screen is held in the muffler outlet with one screw.  Take it out, and holding it with an old pair of pliers, heat it red hot with a propane torch.  Let it cool, and rub the ash off with an old glove on your hand.  Put it back in, and it should run like a new one.

sawguy21

That is worth checking out but a plugged arrestor won't allow it to rev up and develop full power. 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

joe_indi

This would be a 4 Mix engine (four stroke running on 2 stroke fuel). If the valves have not been ever adjusted that could be the reason. Several years ago I made a How To kind of video and uploaded it to YouTube, it might be of some help.
The carbs on these engines are a bit 'fussy' 

My video

Thank You Sponsors!