The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Wind Tunnel  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Randy

• Full Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
Wind Tunnel
« on: April 13, 2005, 03:18:24 PM »
About a year ago (before I got into sawing) A man a few miles down the road was getting some lumber sawn. He stacked this lumber on stickers, in a straight line---------meaning  the boards were stacked in line like train cars are in line. There was a shallow dug ditch on each side of the pile.  When he was finished he very loosely covered the line of lumber with one large roll of black plastic, sides were in this shallow ditch, with the dirt throwed back in---looked like the "Row" was 100ft long---He took his tractor and a BIG fan(5ft to 6ft in diameter) that was hooked to his pto backed it up to one end---with the other end open. He cranked up this fan-------------let it blow through this tunnel---------A Wind Tunnel. This was in the summer time. I rode back by in a week or two-----everything was gone. Boards too! I guess I could go talk to him, but I thought I would ask you all----------------------Is this some way of Speed Drying------anyone ever tried this. Randy

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Wind Tunnel
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 04:19:02 PM »
From what I think I know, there are limits as to how fast water can evaporate from the surface of wood, and for water to migrate within the wood to that surface. Beyond those limits, (which can be helped by temperature and air movement, as well as drawing a vacuum), you will get excess surface shrinkage, tension failure, and surface checks in the wood- and the list of wood drying degrade goes on.

All this drying 'speed' depends on species of wood, and a multitude of other things.
I doubt this process was a speed drying trick, but willing to listen to other ideas of how it would work.  :)
I am a born skeptic.  But all eyes and ears.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Randy

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 04:24:33 PM »
Oh yea!!!!!!!!!!! He was drying pine, forgot to state that. Randy

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 09:51:09 PM »
In a week, he didn't dry anything. 

If I understand your description, the stickers in the stacks were crosswise to the flow of air.  This would be like putting the fan at your front door, opening the back door and trying to dry wood in the dining room and front bed room.  It would be difficult to move much air that distance and more so "against the grain" of the stacks.

He probably wouldn't have seen much difference in 1x pine after 3 weeks of this.   You can get 1x pine and sometimes 2x pine to dry enough to stiffen up and carry a load in 6 weeks but it still isn't 'dry".

It sounds like an experiment to me.
extinct

Offline Randy

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 11:53:11 AM »
I talked to the man---------------He said he dried these boards almost a month that way(mercy how time fly's--thought it was a week or two) He was pushed for time, because his sawmill man was behind, which caused him to REGROUP because of time(If his sawman had of been there 2 or 3 months earlier would have saved some work ;D), because he was going to trailer these boards for a few hundred miles up into the mountains and was trying to "Lighten" the load, because he was going to re-air stack them under a open shed that he was going to use these boards to close the shed in during his Fall Vacation. He used the plastic tunnel because he felt it would build up heat---and help get a little more water out of the boards sooner than just being out in the open-----he used the fan mainly during the hotest part of the day because, because, because Thats what he wanted to do :D :D :D   I guess asking----- answers all questions that a passer-bye would wounder about.  :D :D ??? Randy

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Carpal Tunnel

Started by gspren on Health and Safety

15 Replies
Last post September 02, 2014, 04:26:47 PM
by Busy Beaver Lumber
xx
Tunnel House

Started by Ernie on Drying and Processing

8 Replies
Last post May 23, 2005, 09:59:05 AM
by shopteacher