iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dewalt tools.

Started by petefrom bearswamp, December 15, 2021, 08:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

I Have a number of Dewalt cordless tools.
Leaf blower, 7-1/4 circular saw, impact driver, recipro saw, hammer driver drill, 4-1/2" grinder, multi tool.
Only one that even mentions US is the impact driver says made in US with global parts.
Others are Mexico and of course "the peoples republic" of China
All work well so far.
Only junk was a cordless chainsaw that wouldnt keep the chain tight and I got rid of it.
How about some of the other cordless tools, Milwaukee, Stihl, Husky, Echo etc.
Any feedback on these?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Dave Shepard

And I thought DeWalt was the most likely to be US made? I'm all Milwaukee. Huge tool selection. Better than corded options. Only one battery platform in the 18-20 volt range, none of the silly 20-60 volt games, or introducing all the same tools 40 volts. I don't question the quality of the new yellow or blue tools, but my red tools all work with all batteries. That's important when you have thousands of dollars invested in one platform.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

trimguy

I have the dewalt 20 volt tools. It's just where I ended up after my dewalt 18 volt started to go out. I know a few people with the Milwaukee set up and they are all happy with the tools and the way they preform.

Andries

Most of us wandered into buying cordless tools a long time ago. Mobility without the umbilical cord made the difference for me. The tools have improved a lot, to the point where now the battery version can outperform a corded tool. 
Dave makes the point, that the choice of batteries is a major decision.
I've got yellow and black but would choose the red one tomorrow if I had to replace the whole works.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

SawyerTed

I got started with Dewalt years ago.  Once I got one, it was less expensive to stay with Dewalt since the batteries are the expensive part. I have two drills, an impact driver, small router, circular saw and an oscillating saw.  They serve me well enough but I don't use them daily.  Am I a Dewalt fan?  Not really.  They are common in the various box stores, aka easy to get. Before the Dewalt tools, probably 15 years ago, I had Porter Cable cordless tools.  They didn't last very long and I don't have any experience with the newer ones.  I have burned up one Dewalt drill by drilling 5/8ths inch holes through white oak 6x6s.  It received other prior abuse.

The Milwaukee and Kobalt tools I've used here at work have had plenty of power and have held up relatively well to the nearly daily use.  The tools were on the service truck when the owner assigned the truck here.  We have had to replace two Kobalt grinders that quit but they were used primarily for metal cutting.  The Milwaukee tools have held up the best and our new and replacement tools have been Milwaukee tools. 

Metabo is what a friend sells at his builder supply company.  He says they are very good tools although he only owns corded tools.  If I'm not mistaken Metabo and Hitachi are now one company.    
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Corley5

Most of my Milwaukee cordless stuff has made in China on the tag :(   The last piece I bought, a rotary hammer, is made in Tiawan for whatever that's worth.  I like my Milwaukee stuff.  We've got 18- and 12-volt tools.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Old Greenhorn

While this subject is active, can I ask if any of you folks are using the dewalt 18 to 20v battery adapters? I have been slowly adding the 20volt tools but still have an 18v I use regularly. Rather than buy another 18v battery of questionable quality, I was thinking i'd just get the adapter to use the newer batteries.
 Any thoughts on this?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

trimguy

My brother-in-law is running the adapters. He said a couple of his drills run better with a 20 volt. The saws do not seem to go through the 20 V batteries as fast as they were going through the 18 V batteries. He has a 18 V battery nail gun , he said it does not like the 20 V batteries.

Tom King

I use Milwaukee in the mechanic shop, and Makita for working on/in houses.  That keeps grease off of house walls.  I have a few Ryobi cordless things, just because they were cheap, and don't get used much.

No complaints with any of them, and have been pleasantly surprised by the few Ryobi tools.

I bought my Wife a Dewalt drill, years ago to keep in the barn.  No problems with it other than she never would think to charge the batteries, and the NiCad's died after a couple of years.

First cordless tool was a 9.6v Makita drill, in the mid '80's.  Still keep it with the sailboat tools, manning an upgraded chuck to hold Cobalt bits for drilling out stainless rivets.  The Makita collection grew from that one.  That stick battery has been replaced multiple times over that time.

tawilson

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on December 15, 2021, 09:19:59 AM
While this subject is active, can I ask if any of you folks are using the dewalt 18 to 20v battery adapters? I have been slowly adding the 20volt tools but still have an 18v I use regularly. Rather than buy another 18v battery of questionable quality, I was thinking i'd just get the adapter to use the newer batteries.
Any thoughts on this?
I've got it and it works fine. I hardly use it as I've got 20v tools now, but I get spread thin and it does bail me out occasionally. 
Dewalt was smart about battery compatibility as they upgraded and it kept me with them, otherwise I'd probably be in the  Milwaukee camp.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: tawilson on December 15, 2021, 01:20:38 PM
Dewalt was smart about battery compatibility as they upgraded and it kept me with them, otherwise I'd probably be in the  Milwaukee camp.
Yes, I thought as much myself when I added a few new tools and stayed with dewalt. But now I see othes are getting on the bandwagon and making adaptors so you can run dewalt 20v batteries on Makita or Milwaukee, and soem are adapting those big ryobi batteries to other tools also. Looks like the batteries are not as much of a reason to stick with one brand anymore and it is about time. I have had my eye on one of those battery blowers for work cleanup. They are mighty handy but I thik the Milwaukee is better, and cheaper that the dewalt. Now I've got more to think about. That blower makes easy work of cleaning off the mill at the end of the workday.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Dave Shepard

I have a first gen M18 blower. It will blow out all the sawdust and bark out from under the mill, as long as it is done daily. Milwaukee has battery and tool protecting features, so I'd do my homework using a foreign battery.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

hedgerow

My first cordless was a Makita drill. I have had Dewalt 18 volt cordless for twenty plus years. On my second set of tools and they are about ten years old. My 18 volt batteries are still good but I have a buddy that is running the 20 volt batteries on his 18 volt Dewalt's and its working fine. I will probably switch over to Milwaukee when my tools or batteries start to die. Lots of folks I know have the Milwaukee line and love it. Probably not a day goes by I don't use one of my Dewalt cordless. 

WV Sawmiller

I had a Dewalt cordless drill till neighborhood thieves wanted it more than me. Since I had to have one I bought a HF Braun drill, leafblower and cordless angle grinder. I recently even added a 6-1/4" circular saw that uses the same 20 V system/batteries. I am very well pleased with all of them so far and even bought an additional drill when I caught one on sale there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

gspren

Since we are talking all brands here I'm pretty sure I'm about to jump on the Milwaukee M18 boat after years of Makita 9.6 then 14.4V. To you Milwaukee fans, If I was happy with the perfomance of the 14.4V Makita, do I need the "fuel" line or is the regular M18 good enough for a hobby/home owner guy?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Dave Shepard

The non Fuel tools are good, you just don't have the power and battery life of the Brushless. 

btulloh

You'd be real happy with non-fuel versions compared to the 14.4v you're using now. Dave Shepard is right about the brushless Fuel versions though. I think it's worth going the extra step to the Fuel versions. All depends on your use and budget. 

Nothing wrong with the new Makita or Dewalt tools either, but they come in two or three tiers too.  The new world of Lltium ion batteries is way way better than the old NiCad world. Batteries hold their charge much better during storage, have more power density, and no memory effect. Niceto have a remaining charge indicator too.  Milwaukee has that, probably the others too.  
HM126

firefighter ontheside

I typed a long reply and it disappeared.  This will be much shorter.  I have a few 20v dewalt and really like them as I have always liked Dewalt.  I have a lot of the Ryobi 18v 1+ tools and they have treated me really well.  I have 2 drill/drivers, 2 impact drivers, a handheld vacuum, a leaf blower, a shrub trimmer and I feel like I'm forgetting something.  There are lots more tools available.  The Ryobi are worth checking out.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

My first real use of a serious cordless tool was helping a buddy with his crane truck and using his 20V DeWalt impact. I was seriously impressed with it and was shopping around to buy one when I came across the Milwaukee 18V Fuel line and ended up going that way. Never regretted it, and I have quite a few tools now.

My impact will take all four duals off my big tractor with one battery and juice to spare. The socket is 1 5/16" and the bolts are 3" long. Always dirt packed / covered on the backside and even using never seize each time the torque on them is always massive. 

For that reason I do like the setting that uses full removal torque, but slows down when things break loose. Don't end up throwing nuts all over the place when they do come off. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

If a Dewalt 20 volt was your first exposure to cordless tools, you grew up farther back in the woods than I thought😂
Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Southside on December 15, 2021, 09:28:30 PM
My first real use of a serious cordless tool was helping a buddy with his crane truck and using his 20V DeWalt impact. I was seriously impressed with it and was shopping around to buy one when I came across the Milwaukee 18V Fuel line and ended up going that way. Never regretted it, and I have quite a few tools now.

My impact will take all four duals off my big tractor with one battery and juice to spare. The socket is 1 5/16" and the bolts are 3" long. Always dirt packed / covered on the backside and even using never seize each time the torque on them is always massive.

For that reason I do like the setting that uses full removal torque, but slows down when things break loose. Don't end up throwing nuts all over the place when they do come off.
What size impact is it ? 

Southside

The wife and I had gone somewhere a few years back and in the motel room I noticed that the wall outlets had both 120V plugs and the USB plugs to charge a phone.  Naturally I did the old "Come here you have to see this" and was pointing at the plug when my wife looked at me and said words to the effect that "Those have been around for years, you really don't get out much do you?"   :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Walnut - the 1/2" one.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

They are absolutely impressive! They make the air impacts collect dust 😂

Southside

Honestly - I don't know where my air impact is now that you mention it. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

aigheadish

Thanks for the impact note on removing wheels @Southside it's time to put on the winter tires (actually I'm a bit late) and I've been using the air impact driver for that. It works but a cordless would be nicer.

@Old Greenhorn I got the big Harbor Freight battery-op blower a few weeks ago and I've been very pleased with it, though it doesn't come with the battery, beware. It's been plenty strong to blow stuff away and the battery seems to last enough. It's also easy to blow gently or faster with a turbo button. It's much better than the compressed air gun I was using and not nearly as expensive or maintain-y as a backpack job, though it's probably not that strong either.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

hedgerow

Quote from: Walnut Beast on December 15, 2021, 11:50:51 PM
They are absolutely impressive! They make the air impacts collect dust 😂
I run a Dewalt 1/2 18 volt impact and I can't remember the last time I used my 1/2 air impact to change a tire. 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: aigheadish on December 16, 2021, 08:47:19 AM.....
@Old Greenhorn I got the big Harbor Freight battery-op blower a few weeks ago and I've been very pleased with it, though it doesn't come with the battery, beware. It's been plenty strong to blow stuff away and the battery seems to last enough. It's also easy to blow gently or faster with a turbo button. It's much better than the compressed air gun I was using and not nearly as expensive or maintain-y as a backpack job, though it's probably not that strong either.
Funny, I looked at those last night after Howard gave his sales pitch  :D. I think it was around 50 bucks, but did have the velocity of the larger dewalt. When you add the battery and charger your are likely up to the the cost of the dewalt. But they are running a special now: any tool, any battery, and any charger and they will tell you the price at checkout, so I don't know what the actual cost is. The big dewalt puts out, I think 450CFM or was it 600? The HF one was around 200 I think.
 I have found that blower very handy for 2 things: Cleaning off the mill at the end of the day and stoking debris fires (bark, chips, and scraps left after firewood sessions. I grab a long piece of any steel pipe or tubing, chive it in the bottom of the fire, put the blower on low and let 'er rip. Saves a lot of time. Still I am frugal and I am having a hard time convincing myself that those 2 uses are worth it. We have an electric one at the mill is always plugged in, so you just grab and blow, but the brushes and/or bearings in that are starting to go. So many tools and toys and not enough money.

aigheadish

I've got the 80v, 150mph blower (they claim 605 cfm), the battery/charger appears to be another 130 bucks or so, so it's close to $260 or so for the whole kit, a bit expensive I guess, I don't have any other 80v tools either. I'd been looking at them and almost buying the cheap corded model they have about a thousand times and ended up getting the "good" one. They are great for stoking the fire! We have the tendency to have pretty big burns a few times through the year that have ashes that stay going for several days. The last one we had I went out there two days later and got it ripping again. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

petefrom bearswamp

Started out with Makita 9.6.Still have one I leave at camp.
I think I had 3, dropped 2 and they didnt like the sudden stop at the end of the drop.
Then bought a Ryobi kit with flashlight, recipro saw, 5-1/2 inch circular saw, drill and scroll saw.
Still use all but the circular saw, the recipro is for butchering deer, the others use as needed.
Had to upgrade to lithium batteries several years ago and one is acting up now.
Also have a ridgid drill with a lifetime warranty on even the batteries.
Have had several batteries replaced and one charger, but the nearest Place for warranty is about 75 miles away, kind of inconvenient
All this in addition to my DeWalt stuff.
I still use my I R pneumatic thunder gun and a 3/8  air wrench quite often.

Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Old Greenhorn

Geez Pete! Make up your mind! :D :D :D ;D ;D

stavebuyer

I have had a Stihl hand-held gas blower since 2010. I bought the wife the battery version. While the battery is very handy it won't come close to the gas version. 

The Dewalt 20V 1/2"' Impact is indeed impressive. No compromise at all with that tool. 

Walnut Beast

The Dewalt stuff has treated me really well . Only problem was a small radio charger the radio controls went out. Out of all the saws, drills, blowers and so on. The oscillating tools are amazing for so many different things . Have two one with a carbide blade for metal and one for wood. Many different things you can do and put on. Sand, clean, scraper and many cutter blades

Magicman

I only have Ridgid 18v tools here at home to keep the battery platform the same.  Craftsman 19.2v at the farm, again to use tools that I have plus keeping the batteries the same.

The outdoor/garden tools are Ryobi 40v.

I have not had any problem with the Ridgid but because of the success that Grandson Ben has had, if I was buying new today, it would all be DeWalt.  That ½" impact wrench will knock your nuts off.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom King

Before I started buying Milwaukee cordless tools for the mechanic shop, I bought a Makita  1/2" impact driver.  I keep it in the truck, but will get it for use in the mechanic shop.  I drive the truck over there anyway, and it must be less trouble to get it out of the truck than to drag out an air hose, because I don't remember using a regular air impact since then.

The Makita 1/2" can handle the lugs on the dually with no issue, and it also gets used for running in large lag bolts on a house job.

I did use the air ratchets after buying that, when I had a tight quarters situation, but since buying this, the air impact ratchets have stayed in the drawer.

M12 FUEL 3/8" Right Angle Impact Wrench | Milwaukee Tool

mike_belben

All milwaukee fuel here.  If i had a delorean, the tools and phone camera are the only gadgets id bring back with me. Oh ..And the ninja blender.

An 18v fuel drill can bore 1-1/4 holes.  That was reserved for 2hander gear drive monster AC drills 20 years ago.  The fuel will break your thumbs just as quick too. 
Praise The Lord

petefrom bearswamp

Make up my mind?
What fun would that be
Variety is the spice of life, except for women of course
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Old saw fixer

I have only two battery tools, my Stihl battery saw and a 12 volt Milwaukee 3/8 drill.  All my impact tools are pneumatic since my work experience dates from 1968 up.  There weren't any battery tools available other than the first battery screwdrivers, and those came into use during my chainsaw repair days.  My corded electric tools are all Makita.  Any future additions/replacements will be Milwaukee Fuel battery tools.  I'll start with adding a 3/8 impact for small engine teardown.  

Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

mike_belben

the M12 impact in 3/8s is great.  when new it took the lugs off my dually. 

the M18 half inch impact i got my dad smokes my snapon CT3850HO and it was half the price years later. someday i will have a 3/4 milawaukee impact. 
Praise The Lord

Southside

Quote from: mike_belben on December 17, 2021, 12:37:16 PMsomeday i will have a 3/4 milawaukee impact. 

Why? You planning to alter the rotation of the Earth or something? :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Dave Shepard

Quote from: mike_belben on December 17, 2021, 09:34:19 AM
All milwaukee fuel here.  If i had a delorean, the tools and phone camera are the only gadgets id bring back with me. Oh ..And the ninja blender.

An 18v fuel drill can bore 1-1/4 holes.  That was reserved for 2hander gear drive monster AC drills 20 years ago.  The fuel will break your thumbs just as quick too.
The SuperHawg has a clutch to save your thumbs if you put it in back gear. Not sure how big a hole it will drill.

Stephen1

I have 18 volt dewalt tools. I was given 9 tool combo years ago. I have now upgraded to li-ion 18volt batteries off of Amazon. $50 a battery and they charge in my old chargers. So far they have lasted over a year. Better than the ni-cad forsure. They allow me to keep using these tools. I use the 1/2 impact for my FAOR . Works great. I just welded a bolt to my big flat deck trailer jack. Turned it into a power jack. . I am also thinking of welding a nut on my hydraulic blade tightener instead of the flip handle. Any one done that yet?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Dave Shepard

I think Bibbyman did, but only used a wrench.

Southside

I want to say Bibbyman had done something like that, maybe it's in the useful mods thread? 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Quote from: Southside on December 17, 2021, 01:47:46 PM
Quote from: mike_belben on December 17, 2021, 12:37:16 PMsomeday i will have a 3/4 milawaukee impact.

Why? You planning to alter the rotation of the Earth or something? :D
Yeah actually.  Spin this sucker back to 85 marty. 
Praise The Lord

Sedgehammer

Rigid here. Lifetime warranty on tools and batteries. That's why i went there many moons ago. If not for the warranty, it be red
Necessity is the engine of drive

firefighter ontheside

I was working in my shop yesterday and took note of all of the corded Dewalt tools I have.  It's many more than the number of cordless.  I have a biscuit cutter, random orbit sander, track saw, planer, two 12" double bevel miter saws, pancake compressor and maybe more, but that's what I can think of right now.  I've never had a problem with my corded tools.  I had another dewalt planer for over 20 years and it ran great the day I sold it.

ps.  I just found a 4" angle grinder too.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Corley5

Milwaukee Tools is owned by Techtronic Industries which also owns the Ryobi brand license and has other brands in its portfolio as well. 

Corley5

This'll do a 3 9/16" hole in concrete :) 8)

Al_Smith

All my DeWalt stuff was given to me when I retired all 18 volt .In the last three years since a majority of the batteries have degraded .I have maybe 4 good ones from 10 or 12 .So it's a matter of replacing the defective  cells if I find the time .I looked it up on You Tube and it doesn't look like it's that big of a deal .

Al_Smith

I do have two side grinders I bought that are Dewalt a small model and a large model .Most of my other corded tools are Milwaukie which includes a 3/4" drill .That unit has oddles of power ,handle with care .
Over the years I've managed to ruin several circular saws by cutting stone ,bricks etc with  dry abrasive blades .For that kind of work I now have two gasoline saws using water cooled blades that are designed for that type work .I got those things on the cheap maybe 8-10 years ago and finally refurbished them summer before last during the lock down .  

Al_Smith

Now comes impact drills of which I have three .One Milwaukie 1/2" that set me back about $200 and two Hilti's I salvaged from work with a scrap pass .
The TE 12 I had to make brushes for and it does fine .The larger one is part TE 72 and part TE 80 which are the same models one is just an older version .They take the larger bits,chisels etc  SDS max if memory serves .It doesn't get used much but it's a concrete drilling maniac .

Corley5

My Milwaukee takes SDS Max bits.  I bought one for driving ground rods.  Two thumbs up on it ;D :) 8)   I need to add some demo bits to my arsenal.

Al_Smith

Although I don't own any I've used large dry core bits drilling holes large enough to run 4" conduit through using a big drill .It's a miserable job though .You can only get about 3 -4 inches then you have to break out the slug and progress forward .Through a foot of concrete might take 2 hours .More if you hit a reinforcing rod .A diamond water cooled core bit will go through steel but a carbide tipped  dry core bit will not .

Thank You Sponsors!