iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Extremely knotty pine

Started by kelLOGg, December 18, 2021, 08:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

My next 2 logs on the rollway are from a recently felled healthy pine. I don't need firewood so I plan to saw them. They are 13" and 18" diameters and I will saw them with rustic paneling in mind - 3/4" to 1" thick. What do you think of that useage? other ideas? 

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Don P

I've got some white pine tops on the deck first for today that looks similar, or worse  :D. The last thing I did yesterday was remove one to the "other" pile. We need some roof sheathing so I'll saw 1x6 and if its too ugly for that, lumber pallet stock for the better lower logs to stack on.

HemlockKing

Knotty pine makes for good way to get a burn pile cooking hot I'm finding recently lol . Better yet a crotch/fork that's also knotty 
A1

Old Greenhorn

Around my place I use what pine I get for internal projects like saw horses, jigs, shelves, drying pallets, or shop flooring. It's nice to have a pile of various dimensional stuff to grab when you have to make something quick. I sell a little, but with a manual mill, production lumber is not where it's at. :D I got some really bug eaten logs with zero value, but I milled those into shiplap flooring for the shop loft to go over a hardwood biased floor that was still shrinking and leaking dust to the floor below. Junk wood, but it looks pretty good and does the job and the price was right. It's also soft, so if I drop something...
 AT my part time sawyers job we do almost all EWP and make fencing boards, flooring boards, board and batten, posts, and timbers. SOme for sale and some for the shop expansion going on now. Nothing for stock.
 So are you selling these or using them? If you're making knotty pine paneling I would leave some meat on there for planeing after they dry. If you are gong to T&G it, try to mill so that yu don't have many knots along the edges because they can blow out when you are doing those last operations. Anyway, JMO. Good lock, just beat the bug to the wood and borate everything as it comes off the mill.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

Make those into dunnage for under lumber piles. Those knots will make your boards split, crook, and be of little value. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ladylake

Nothing wrong with knotty pine on the walls and ceiling.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

KenMac

I saw a lot of SYP and logs like those are the hardest to saw flat without dips, etc. If 12" or bigger I saw 1x10 for board and batten or other siding. Some battens (1x3) will break at knots so I try to get fewer knots in them but most of those come from edging flitches. I'm in a different situation from those who are making their living sawing. so that skews my view of logs occasionally.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Stephen1

I tend to make 3x3 blocking for my bundles of lumber. They are always disapearing, like stickers...
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

Just don't saw framing lumber from those logs. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

Thanks for the ideas. If they dry flat enough I will try to sell them. If not - anything goes. I surely would like to know that they go on someone's wall or ceiling. 
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

ladylake

I'm looking at a knotty pine wall right now.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

kelLOGg

Steve. Show me a picture. 🤞

sealark37

Leaving one live edge, knots and all, makes a fine  rustic horizontal siding.

btulloh

Sorta depends on the size and soundness of the knots.  Sawing it will tell you whether you have paneling, dunnage, or firewood/kindling. Probably some of each.  All useful.  Might as well saw it and see.  

The darker the knot, the more likely it is to fall out when it's dry.
HM126

Durf700

I just got 2 loads of pine and spruce delivered for next to nothing.  I am milling up about 300 2x4's and about 400 1x8's for my basement interior finish.  should come out nicely.  I milled about 30% last week and stacked and stickered it in the heated basement.  figured the coal stove will help take down the moisture content for when I start it next month.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

You do not need to borate pine.  The lyctid powderpost beetle only infests hardwoods. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Old Greenhorn

What about the pine bark beetles? They kill my stuff quick if I don't treat it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

barbender

Just be aware, those big knots in pine species tend to bleed sap. Quite generously at times😬 It does make poor quality lumber for any structural use, but for paneling and such it will work nicely. Even then, some boards will end up with a knot across the face, and will fall right in half when you pick them up. Another utility use is form boards. I have concrete guys that buy a lot of 1x12 form boards, the knots don't hurt anything on those wide boards. Oh yeah, they don't like to saw straight, either😁
Too many irons in the fire

kelLOGg

It's all sawn 3/4" and 1" thick, and some live edge stacked and stickered. Lots of knots and sawn very smooth - very pleased with that. Sorry I didn't take pics of individual board but being a one person operation I frequently forget to interrupt myself to take pics until it's all done.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: WDH on December 22, 2021, 11:10:17 AM
You do not need to borate pine.  The lyctid powderpost beetle only infests hardwoods.
They must have a cousin that does. A lot of "powderpost" type damage in my two Dutch barn restorations that are mostly white pine. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 22, 2021, 01:28:54 PMhey must have a cousin that does.
And damage in my old tool shed that was built probably in the 30's-40's at my farm with SYP.  Riddled with holes.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 22, 2021, 01:28:54 PM

They must have a cousin that does. A lot of "powderpost" type damage in my two Dutch barn restorations that are mostly white pine.
Anobium species of borer will attack the sapwood of pine and many other softwoods. They may not be an issue in a drier climate as they need the wood to be over ~12% M/C. but locally wood generally is. Hence you have to use at least borate treated pine for construction here, or something like Doug Fir that they don't like. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_furniture_beetle
As you say, a "cousin" of the PPB.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Southside on December 18, 2021, 08:40:03 AM
Make those into dunnage for under lumber piles. Those knots will make your boards split, crook, and be of little value.
That's what I do with low grade pine logs. I cut 10x10s for the base, and 3x4 to put across. Cut a bunch this morning for my neighbor that I just sawed about 1,500 feet of siding for. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Don P

Old house borers and death watch beetles are a couple that get into old softwood, I'm sure there's more. If there's food, there's a mouth. Death watch beetles, named for the maddening tic-tic-tic of them chewing, and counting down the seconds of your life. So I guess, borate it for your mental health.

Thank You Sponsors!