iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

26hp vs. 38hp LT40

Started by KWood255, December 21, 2021, 07:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boonesyard

Quote from: Bruno of NH on December 22, 2021, 03:49:39 PM
For a guy who can't swing the extra for a diesel the 38hp is a good engine. Starts great at below 0° and is pretty quiet.
Do the Yarnmar's have a block heater for winter starting ?
I don't have a block heater on mine, but it starts down to about 0. I know that from only one experience, it was one of those "I had to" jobs. Generally I don't like to mill below about 15 or so, the older, thin blood just doesn't stay as warm as it used to. My biggest issue with the cold weather sawing are the hydraulics slowing up. I'm thinking about changing the hydraulic fluid out for winter blend. I'd ask you guys down south what you run, but I'm pretty sure I know the answer  8).  
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Bruno of NH

Quote from: barbender on December 22, 2021, 11:36:59 PM
Winter is the time for you Southern folks to boast😊 I spent the whole day fighting frozen, not wanting to start, slippery breaking ahhhhhhh!! It was one of those days winter in MN😊
That was my day Monday
Big Bob wouldn't start 
Worked on that , shoveling piles off , yard clean up and the one ton starter went.
I'm keeping a good attitude.
Tuesday was a beautiful winter day for work.
Yesterday not so much rain and wet snow , I was soaked to the bone.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Dave Shepard

It's 20° here, but the sun is out. Hydraulics will be slow for a bit. Not my preferred weather, but I've got one last job I want to finish before Christmas. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

barbender

5° F this morning, I think one of my glow plugs that I replaced not long ago is bad, the mill has been starting hard. I was trying to get lucky and see if it would start this morning without the block heater, it said nah😊 So I plugged it in for a few minutes while I take care of a couple of things. I need to saw another 100 2x4 to drop off on my way to skid wood. 
Too many irons in the fire

Dave Shepard

My Perkapiller started on the third attempt this morning. That's impressive, when it was new, it would barely start at 50°. My Kubota likes two cycles of the glowplugs when it's 25° or less these days, but then it fires like it's July. They have block heaters, but I can't afford the 500' extension cord. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

KenMac

Quote from: boonesyard on December 23, 2021, 07:48:14 AM
Quote from: Bruno of NH on December 22, 2021, 03:49:39 PM
For a guy who can't swing the extra for a diesel the 38hp is a good engine. Starts great at below 0° and is pretty quiet.
Do the Yarnmar's have a block heater for winter starting ?
I don't have a block heater on mine, but it starts down to about 0. I know that from only one experience, it was one of those "I had to" jobs. Generally I don't like to mill below about 15 or so, the older, thin blood just doesn't stay as warm as it used to. My biggest issue with the cold weather sawing are the hydraulics slowing up. I'm thinking about changing the hydraulic fluid out for winter blend. I'd ask you guys down south what you run, but I'm pretty sure I know the answer  8).  
I run back in the house if it's below 40 F.  But that's just me. Retirement is one of God's best creations!! :D
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Thank You Sponsors!