iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Retro lounge

Started by HemlockKing, December 31, 2021, 06:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resonator

Sad week in music this past week, two of the all time greats of bluegrass passed away. Booby Osborne and Jesse McReynolds were both great mandolin players, and brother harmony singers. Also coincidentally both lived into their 90's, and were preforming well into their later years.
Osborne Brothers - Rocky Top 1967 - YouTube
The song that made the Osborne Brothers (Bobby and Sonny) famous for life. And one of the greatest, most played bluegrass songs of all time. Also should note Sonny and Bobby are regarded as the first bluegrass act to put electric amplification directly in the mandolin and banjo (playing with fire :D), which wowed the rock and roll crowds of the late 60's.

Better Times A Coming - YouTube
One of Jim and Jesse's more lighthearted songs, they recorded many albums together throughout their career. Jesse developed his own "cross picking" style of mandolin, which was different from the others. He was well regarded for his "brother harmony" singing with his brother Jim.

May their music live on. smiley_guitarist
Independent Gig Musician and Sawmill Man
Live music act of Sawing Project '23 & '24, and Pig Roast '19, '21, & '24
Featured in the soundtrack of the "Out of the Woods" YouTube video:
"Epic 30ft Long Monster Cypress and Oak Log! Freehand Sawing"

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

moodnacreek

'Tombstone every mile' is about all the Dick Curless we ever heard down here.  Somewhere I have about every recording Hank sr. ever did. And I sure miss Merle Haggard.

Bradm

Couple of Lynyrd Skynyrd songs from Gary Rossington's final show.
Free Bird
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaJleHXCrWc

Tuesday's Gone ft. Jelly Roll.  Never heard of Jelly Roll before but thought he did a good job with the legends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCDehWmVn84

For those that don't know, Rossington was one of the survivors from the plane crash that killed Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines and his sister Cassie Gaines.  Here's a clip of him speaking about the crash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_7IjuiAFuk

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Well I just learned this morning that Peter Schickele passed away on Tuesday at home. I have been watching his concert performances and interviews on you tube all day and re-reading some album jacket notes. Peter was not for everybody but I was a big fan of the radio show he did for NPR for a couple of years. I never met Peter or made one of his performances, he toured all over the world mostly in the big concert halls with full orchestras. Pete was a classical composer first, he had 5 grammys to his credit and also did some movie scores and such. My friends Bill Ketih, Eric Wesiberg, and Happy Traum were the 'ensemble for one of his albums called "Black Forest Bluegrass" and Bill said it was a singularly unique experience.
Pete was also a humorist and used that humor to make classical music interesting and he also educated at the same time. (Think 'Spike Jones meets Victor Borga'.) Peter was self credited with discovering the existence of J.S Bach's 21st of his 20 children as well as his musical works and he curated and shared all his 'discoveries' of the works of P.D.Q. Bach.
I doubt there will ever be anyone else like Pete. He was a local guy up in Woodstock, and also kept an apartment in Manhattan because of all his work down there. He was a professor at Julliard for a number of years also.
His obituary in the Washington Post was pretty well written:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituaries/2024/01/17/peter-schickele-p-d-q-bach-dead/
There are a lot of videos of him and as I said, he wasn't for everybody, but if you like any music and have a quick ear, some of his stuff is really good and quite fun.
Here's and appearance on Johnny Carson as an introduction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjS6g3sdgPc

In recent years Peter suffered ill health and was not in the public eye, but his works stands on it's own and I truly will miss him.
To put it in his terms: Peter Schickele 2024-1935??
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Resonator

Sad news from Nashville, Legendary country singer Toby Keith passed away after a battle with cancer. In his career that spanned decades, he had 20 #1 hits and sold 40 million albums.
My favorite song of his on country radio in the 90's. Should've been a cowboy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIq1LvzSLsk

Bradm

Bob and Bruce and something about some old time rock and roll.

beenthere

1978 old time rock and roll. 

Old Elvis came on when I was a freshman in HS. 1953
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bradm

Never thought I'd see the day when a chainsaw was used as a musical instrument.

Old Greenhorn

Interesting tune built on a blues riff. I can't quite make out the saw (older vintage), but the bar looks like a Jonsered. The lyrics I found to be 'somewhat different' than what was common in that time period.
 First time I have heard a chainsaw used as a lead instrument rahter than a sound effect. In this case it replaces a Sax. I have heard tunes using a tractor engine as the bass drum, but it's been a while. I'll look around.
 Fun stuff.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Old Greenhorn

Found it! IMHO one of the best jam tunes of all time. Good stuff!

Some of the comments on that video are pretty good too.

Old Greenhorn

And while I was down in that rabbit hole (Gee, thanks Brad!) I found this, which reminded me of a few of our members:
(Still trying to figure out out that guy plays so well without plugging in his guitar?)

Then this one built on a Delta Blues jam theme:

Apparently there are a lot of folks who play along with their tractors during down time! There went another hour of my life down that rabbit hole. ffcheesy

Resonator

Yeah, that Lumberjack chainsaw song dates back to the 90's, remember hearing it back then.

That guy doin' Sweet Georgia sounded good, he should take that old tractor out on tour! ffcheesy smiley_guitarist

Old Greenhorn

That would put a new meaning on the expression "loading in for a gig"  ffcheesy🤣 fiddle-smiley

Bradm

You're welcome for the rabbit hole.  Those 3 singing about the stuck tractors looked like something the guys I ran with 25 years ago would've done (getting the tractors stuck that is as none of us could carry a tune in a bucket).

Bradm

Not sure if y'all heard, but ...

Bradm

2 Canadian stars playing at what came to be known as Toronto SARSstock in 2003.

Thank You Sponsors!