iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

do you use the scraper end?  without it they are 2.80$   :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Yes, pulling the scraper through hardened dirt helps to break it up.  I hate it when the tailgunner uses it as a chisel and knocks the scraper off.  You can see several in the above picture showing lost scrapers.  I have drilled a hole and added a self tapping screw to secure the scraper.  Also, I would not want that short/stubby straight handle. 

The 4X16 is shorter and wider than the 3X19 and has 7 more bristles.  You could always try a box of each.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Walnut Beast

Those brushes do work extremely well and the scraper worked good for getting into crevices. They do start to break down and the bristles towards the front come out. One thing that makes all the difference in the world is using the brush in conjunction with a short small cordless blower to blow everything out of crevices and off otherwise the grit stays on

Magicman

I use a Stihl gasoline leaf blower.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I bucked and dragged down these 2 12' poplar logs this afternoon to finish my order for 3X8X12's. Pretty muddy from this weekend's rain so I was happy to have my debarker.

Finished 3X8s on the right side and 4/4 side lumber on the left.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

De-limb? 

Nope.

They will come off with the slabs.  ;D

This Cat has a broken paw.  :-\

So when a load of logs finally came in, there is nothing to unload with.  Wonder what they will figure out tomorrow?

The first 16X16 came off of the sawmill this afternoon.  I only see 8 more logs that could possible saw out 16X16's.  We shall see.

Southside

Yes, that is de limb there on de log.  What is de problem?  You don't speak Louisiana Creole there?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

rusticretreater

Picked up these free walnut logs today.  Big one is 26" by 7'.

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

LeeB

Watch those telltale blue spots. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Yup, free sometimes comes with a price, but still nice.  :)

firefighter ontheside

I brought home walnut logs with blue stains yesterday.  It was a 12' log that I cut into a 7' and 5' piece.  The stain was at the 7' cut and at the base, so I'm thinking the metal is high up in the tree.  I will mill this with my metal detector close to my side.  I can usually avoid metal if I scan before every cut.  If...
I sold all the 6/4 walnut I had dried to a guy who builds lots and lots of tables.  He said he will buy all the 6/4 walnut and oak I can produce.  Of course it will take me a long time to cut and dry more.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Resonator

I use my mill as a metal detector. :D

MM, what was wrong with the Cat? Looks OK in the pic, or is it because it has no thumb?
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

rusticretreater

These were standing trunks that i cut down, so that coloring happened on the way back home.  The trees had just been topped, so the trunks were full on wet.  Still they were close to the fellas house, so I will give them a good going over.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Magicman

Quote from: Resonator on September 13, 2022, 10:25:52 AMMM, what was wrong with the Cat?
Yup, it looked OK to me too when he came by but he said the dipper cylinder (I think).  Anyway one of the cylinders.  A lowboy brought another machine yesterday evening and they unloaded the 27 logs.  The broken trackhoe went to the shop on the return trip.

I bucked these into six 11' X 25"+ logs and we sawed 16X16's from them plus some side 5/4X13".  More bucking and sawing tomorrow.  I see five more logs that should make 16X16's. 

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Do those big 16X16 posts have to be cut perfectly clear or is a little wane on the corners acceptable? 

While the MM is sawing Paul Bunyan sized logs us laymen are working on the Tom Thumb models.

These are some final bucking "logs" off a couple of trees I cut recently. The "big" one is 7' long and the little one is just under 6'. I cut the little one into 2" wide X 3/8" lath strips to make crates and such. I cut the big one into 2X4s for stock to make composting toilets and such. I keep making them for that and people keep coming along and buying them out from under me.

Note the walnut bench on the mill. It is ready to have the legs cut to 17". About a 30" bench I made at the last flea market demo I did several weeks back. I never got around to trimming the legs.

I got 20 7' long 2X4's and 2- 2X2 strips. I save the 2X2's for use in making doors and windows in my poo houses but one customer keeps coming and buying the ones I have in stock. I probably got 50-60 lath strips but no picture. (They were not real pretty anyway but they work)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Howard, some wain is acceptable on all of the timbers that I am sawing.  Depending upon the size, maybe an inch or something like that.

Deese

I cut some 8x8x24' syp timbers for a builder a couple days ago. 

The pic below shows it as a 15x15x24 as I continued to whittle it down to size. This log gave me a pile of 1x's, one 4x12x24, and one 8x8x24. You've got to be delicate turning these big logs on the 40 super. Don't ask me how I know. 

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Magicman

When you are sawing posts there is not too much exciting to show pictures of.

6X12's on the left and 4X6's on the right.

Taken from the 12X12 end with the 16X16's next.

Taken from the 4X8 end with 8X8's next.

The log truck brought 27 logs and I have 14 remaining to saw.  Each of the 14 will buck into two 10½' logs.

Don P

This one got us to stop that construction foolishness. The power company thankfully took down a tree that was "ours" but we didn't want to drop it. They cleaned up and left the trunk. We took the Lull and trailer today and brought it back. The Lull got a little light in the loafers with it on the forks.

We decided on boards, if you need walnut slabs just call. We can do up to 12" wide on the Lucas, although it can have up to 1x6's in combo with one 12" in any layer by using the swingset to spin the carriage.

We dropped that end 4' of crotch off and will slab it, a man can't have too many highly valuable walnut slabs. Then, in order to spin around and swing the saw to either side it takes 27" between the rail and log on either side, that means we can be no wider than 34". I could make a 6" deep kerf for the chainsaw to follow and I'll throw the slab back on later although it was mostly sap.

Oh, above y'all were talking about seeing blue in walnut, walnut sapwood turns blue for a little while on a fresh cut. Now there's something else useless to wonder about. 

WV Sawmiller

I can't remember ever getting walnut with blue stain but I have seen plenty with green stains in fresh, green walnut lumber/logs.

Real pretty log there.
Howard Green

Walnut Beast

Magicman

No sawing for me until Tuesday.  

PatD called last evening about 7:00, telling me that she had fallen and broken her arm.  :-\  Well I was 236 miles and 3 hours and 22 minutes away so Grandson, Ben took her to the ER.  Large bone fractured just above the wrist, but no wrist damage.  No pain nor swelling this morning

My customer finally saw my message and he returned my call @10:50.  I have a Dr. appt Monday and was not going to be able to saw Monday anyway.  This will give me 4 days to saw next week and 4 the following week if necessary.

The cut list is to saw him enough timber posts to build 3 condos.  The sawmill comes home on or before Sept. 30th no matter what he has.  

Don P

Oh no! Get better PatD. Fall is a four letter word around here. A retired teacher friend went down the stairs off the porch and really messed hers up recently, pins and bolts, she was kind of lucky that was all. Gravity gains power as we age. Or we just don't bounce anymore!

Ed_K

Oh no, that's awful MM. I hope she heals up fast with no problems.
Ed K

WV Sawmiller

Sorry to hear that. Our best wishes for a speedy recovery for Miz Pat.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!